What would a true MMOFPS really be like?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I was watching this week's Extra Credit on the future of MMOs when it made me wonder, "What would a a MMOFPS be like?"

After much thought, I think I came up with a long winded answer.

I suggest you buckle up.

Before we begin, I know that MMOFPSs exist. However, they been small and haven't gotten a whole lot of popularity. Some proto-MMOFPSs exist, like more micro-transaction games like Combat Arms and Battlefield Hereos (which isn't a FPS, but is based around a series of FPSs, and is pretty close to it) and giant brawls of players like Mag shows that the huge player bases needed can be achieved on one server. But, it would really take a big IP to get any MMOFPSs really rolling, so what think would be the best example is Halo.

Stop.

Put away the rage of Halo for right now.

The games haven't been my favorite, I think ODST was a complete rip off myself. However, Halo fits best because you have this huge war and worlds, a whole potential for classes and races that FPSs like Half Life and Call of Duty simply don't have. I would never play the game, but Halo's world not only has the potential for it, but the IP is popular enough to get the whole thing really started.

The basics can be pretty much the same as a MMORPG. Their are two sides (Humans and Covenant) and it can be set about midway through the war. Liberties such as "Aliens lose even when the Chief isn't around" will have to be made, but I don't think that many people will mind. For humans, you get the standard Medic, Machine Gunner, Assault, Snipet blah blah blah. No Spartans at the start. Tanks and Warthogs I think should be some late unlock, being something you could call for to be dropped under some cool down time. Spartans would be unlocked far down the road, and even then, the health system would work more on the line of Halo:CE then Halo 3.

The Covenant would be broken into their races instead, with grunts, jackals, the flying bug things, and whatever else the the Covenant has with a similar Elite block (plus maybe Brute block) until higher levels. The Aliens would be devide more on their race abilities then their equipment. Jackals has sheilds, the bug things can fly for short distances, Grunts annoy enemies to death, the blue monsters act as very slow tanks, blah blah blah. Elite would be similar to Spartans, and everybody would be all hunky dorky.

The level up system would have to be closer to Battlefield: Bad Company 2, with exp tied to your class or Race. You can upgrade your medigun with the medic class, but can't upgrade an assualt Rifle with the same exp if you see what I mean. You get Exp from killing, doing missions, and destroying x amount of Marines for creepy bug eye alien y. Their would be several planets for both humans and Aliens and "battle zones" where war is pretty much constantly happening. It wouldn't need to be directly connected but a loading screen showing a space ship flying to the planet. You only get access to the higher level areas with higher levels, and get blocked from lower level areas to prevent balance issues.

The rest of the details is pretty much up to the developement slave army that Microsoft has. It is just a theory of how it could all fit together, but I think it could be done. Also, I claim copyright since I don't want to wake up tomorrow and find Mircosoft has claimed the idea and have nothing to present a judge.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
demondemar said:
JESUS CHRIST WALL OF TEXT tl;dr
That's not nice.

I like the sounds of this. It could be done really well, but I think having a new universe made instead of using the Halo universe would be a better idea. You wouldn't have to be tied to the timeline and stuff.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
It sounds like you're just describing a regular FPS with factions and hub worlds where you can... get challenges that most regular FPS games give you automatically? Or can you customize your player there... instead of at the push of a button with a menu, like most other FPS games?

What would an MMOFPS be like? I think we already have them.

hottsaucekid

Sep 20, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
There's a much more simple way to summarize a MMOFPS:

Total Fucking Chaos.
yeah i could just picture snipers sitting way off spawn killing new players.

Feb 25, 2009
You know, I have had similar thoughts involving a Halo-based MMOFPS and I agree. It would work pretty well. The leveling would have to do more with the weapons and items you would get acess to, rather than actual abilities, but otherwise it is an excellent idea.

Here's hoping Bungee reads this and calls us up!

Freshman

Jan 8, 2010
I think the main problem would be the truly epic lag associated with something like this. unless you divide the battlezones to teams of 10 or so, and then theres basically no reason for it to be an mmo then is it? Also, you would need some reason to motivate players to shoot each other, since you can't really "win" an mmo.

indiana_104

May 28, 2010
It sounds like a good idea to me, but I have a feeling that if this idea was actually viable, an MMOFPS would have already been released a long time ago.

So, must not be a good idea, huh?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Freshman said:
I think the main problem would be the truly epic lag associated with something like this. unless you divide the battlezones to teams of 10 or so, and then theres basically no reason for it to be an mmo then is it? Also, you would need some reason to motivate players to shoot each other, since you can't really "win" an mmo.
Again, if Mag can comfortably fit in 256 players on one playing field, Microsoft can easily fit in about the 100 needed to make a "battle zone" feel like an all out war.

Edit: As for motivation, it is a simple case of desire for exp (works best if there is some counter for this).

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I think it could work as a large co-op game.

Maybe have a world map where players can hang out MMO-style, buy/upgrade weapons and equipment and practice on enemy NPC's and do some light missions. No friendly fire because that'd be chaos.

Then players could sign up to competitive matches like Deathmatch or CTF, or take on larger missions and have 20 players marching towards an enemy stronghold. The large co-op missions would be cut away from the world map.

It'd be a little like a mix between Just Cause 2, WoW and Counter Strike!

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Take a standards FPS, say Modern Warfare 2 and imagine a huge map with hundreds of players on it that persistently goes on forever, regardless of people coming and going. It'd be like that. One really big unending multi-player match. I'd imagine it'd get kind of boring though since neither side would be allowed to really 'win' since the game never ends so its just a big deathmatch you play until you get bored and leave.

ShakesZX

Nov 28, 2009
RamboStrategy said:
It sounds like you're just describing a regular FPS with factions and hub worlds where you can... get challenges that most regular FPS games give you automatically? Or can you customize your player there... instead of at the push of a button with a menu, like most other FPS games?

What would an MMOFPS be like? I think we already have them.
Agree.

I don't really think there's a way you could implement the open world type of gameplay you find in most MMOs and mix it FPS gameplay better than what you find in MAG, or in a map as large as "Forge World" in Halo: Reach. I mean most of the aspects touched on are already present in many games you see today, and in a frantic type of game like a modern FPS, trying to incorporate all of that, on top of a world where players can come and go in an environment as big as a state, or country, or whatever, would be impossible.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Allow me to elucidate why MMOFPS doesn't work: You have guns. People die easily.

The FPS genre is littered with headshots and bombs. The most experienced player in the world still has the ability to be easily pistol-whipped to death by someone 50 levels under without the mithril armor and golden AK-47. With a gun in your hand, everyone's made out of play-doh and your means of survival is one big reflex test.

So when you have 100 players playing together, you're going to die pretty damn fast. Probably faster than you can possibly make heads or tails of the situation.

It's just not feasible. When you remove how easy it is to die, you no longer have a fun FPS. But when you leave it in, you no longer have a fucking game. Just random blasting and explosions beyond the control of any single person.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Imagine Battlefield 2, but with all the maps loaded and within flying distance of each other. In fact all you would need to do would be to work on the macro (commander) part of it.