What would it take to tople WoW from its throne?

Artorius

Mar 18, 2009
hmm i honestly think, a Mass Effect MMO will probably topple it, i mean bioware has experimented with the concept with the Old republic, now if they polish and implement it on ME MMO, WoW would be toppled.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Let's analyse what their fan base is like and what it would take to get them away.

The only thing I can think of is an MMO based on having virtual reality sex with sexy anime characters and doing raid on other team's brothels for better "items" (if you know what I mean) and anime sexy slaves.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
I think if there were no more "WoW-Killer" games released for 1-2 years, WoW its self would seem less special to many players, all a WoW-Killer game does is make people miss their nice safe familiar WoW and give them a taste of that MMO "feel", if people have nothing but WoW to play for a year with nothing to compare it to, then it has to stand as a game on its own, not a "its better than" or "its the best" it will just be WoW, subs will start going down fast IMO.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
Spearmaster said:
I think if there were no more "WoW-Killer" games released for 1-2 years, WoW its self would seem less special to many players, all a WoW-Killer game does is make people miss their nice safe familiar WoW and give them a taste of that MMO "feel", if people have nothing but WoW to play for a year with nothing to compare it to, then it has to stand as a game on its own, not a "its better than" or "its the best" it will just be WoW, subs will start going down fast IMO.
So to kill WOW....you have to pretend it doesnt exist. WOW has become a god now? you have to stop believing for it to disappear

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Pretty sure this has already been said but...

For a game to beat wow it has to be different to wow, you can't beat wow with a wow clone even with a populour franchise behind it. WOW has a hug number of years under its belt and a new game coming into the market cannot expect to compete being a clone.

I do believe the free route with micro transactions is the way for an mmorpg to go to beat wow. But on the microtransaction front they should NOT give the player an edge of someone who has not spent anymoney on the game. Purely aesthetic micro transactions so you can look cool or have a cool pet etc.

Off topic-

Well looking forward to mists of pandera :) seriously giant DRUNKEN kung fu fat bears? come on gotta love that. Although i may have a soft spot for panderan brew masters as he was my favrouite neutral hero in WC3 FT.