What would you do if every videogame franchise just ended?

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
I'd be overjoyed. We have plenty of games with the characters we like. We can always replay them. To see fresh ideas would be amazing, although AAA companies would probably fall immediately into the patterns of the games we already know.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
If the games are the same (high) quality, I would still play them. Why would I not? I play loads of different games now anyway. I'm not the kind of gamer who only plays one game in a year from the same old franchise.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Well there's a bit of mixed feelings there. On one hand several companies would be forced to finally come up with something new for once like Nintendo, EA, Activision, and Ubisoft. However, we would also lose out on many game series that we were hoping for a new installment on. Also Valve would then have a ligitiment excuse for not being able to count to three aside from being too busy swimming in everyone's money from all those games you people keep buying off of Steam.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I would rejoice!
It would be like the second coming of Christ if I believed in that crap.
I think I would celebrate that day annually just to remind when video gaming was saved from the terror of franchising.
Of course that would require new IPs to emerge and never become a franchise afterwards. It would be glorious!
Just think about it: A game has to be good in order to sell instead of just having a certain brand name.
The possibilities! ? Marvelous!

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Pretty bummed actually. Give it a year, or two, for some new, interesting IPs to come out, and then just watch them be turned into the same massive AAA franchises that we have now. Sacrificing series that I enjoy (Persona, Souls, MGS etc.) for a year or two of novelty is really not worth it. While the main AAA video game market is dominated by franchises, they're still original titles being released on the indie side of gaming, so wishing for a scenario such as the one described in the op feels pretty dumb to me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Souplex said:
Games that are incredibly similar but lack the branding would rise up to replace them almost immediately.
Basically, this. Instead of a bunch of safe franchises, you'd have a bunch of safe games without franchise titles. You'd probably even see more "from the developers of..." marketing.

It'd look a lot like the NES, I'm afraid. You'd just trade sequels for knock-offs.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Very, very... happy. You can take similar gameplay tropes and apply them in new and interesting ways, but recycling caharacters just leads to stupid fandoms are crap like that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ishigami said:
I would rejoice!
I think I would celebrate that day annually just to remind when video gaming was saved from the terror of franchising.
Of course that would require new IPs to emerge and never become a franchise afterwards. It would be glorious!
Just think about it: A game has to be good in order to sell instead of just having a certain brand name.
Hey, remember when Tim Schafer got over 3 million dollars sight unseen for a new game?

Yeah, you'd still have the brand name problem.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ever heard of Shenmue? Yup, well i was just the right age to think it was the best thing ever.
Nothing can break my obsidian heart now.

...12 chapters...

*sniff*

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Happy because we'll get more original stuff, sad because games based on franchises have been kinda good as of late (Alien Isolation and Shadow Of Mordor), but happy still because the end of series that have been going on past their use by dates.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
1. I'd keep the games I already have.
2. I'd have more time on my hobbies.
3. I'd join a board game / role playing game group.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Ishigami said:
I would rejoice!
Hey, remember when Tim Schafer got over 3 million dollars sight unseen for a new game?

Yeah, you'd still have the brand name problem.
Or like how Bungie put a lot of stock behind "from the makers of Halo" while advertising Destiny.

Yeah, ending all franchises will do nothing to stop companies selling games based on the things they've made in the past, it will just be, "here's a modern military first person shooter made by the same team that made the Call of Duty series", rather than just naming it call of duty.

Seriously, this question isn't nearly as exciting as it first sounds, because without some magical force to make these companies branch out, the only thing ending franchises will accomplish is getting a bunch of releases a year later with "from the makers of" attached to them, and a lot of rehashes of pretty much the exact same properties just with different names. So expect to see a lot of, "from the makers of Call of Duty, comes our new series, 'Tides of War' a new modern military shooter franchise".

Just ending franchises isn't going to change much other than getting us a ton of cheap obvious knock offs of the now dead franchises. Someone up above compared it to the NES days where there were a lot of bad imitations of popular games, and that's pretty much what would happen here as well, we will get a lot of obvious knockoffs of the old franchises, and most companies would just go right back to making the same old games under new titles with slightly different character names.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
While I would be sad that some of my favorite franchises would be coming to an end, I would be happy that developers and publishers could no longer rely on their past money making cash cows to suck money from us and would have to make some actual new IPs to make money. Of course we would end up in the same exact place we are now in about 10-15 years, but I think in the long run, it would be worth it.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I doubt much would change.
We'd just see more 'From the makers of Call of Duty: Call of Honor.'

Still, would be better for my OCD that always makes me uncomfortable playing games in a series out of order, so...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Does this include episodic games still in mid release? Because I would like like to see those finish out.

Otherwise I wouldn't care much. Companies would have to start creating New IP's and stop relying on cash cow franchises.

If nothing else, I could start working through my STEAM/GOG/PS3 backlog.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
EternallyBored said:
"from the makers of Halo" while advertising Destiny.
Exactly. To really change anything, we'd need to destroy the assets and execute the devs after each game. And even then, we'd probably get "from the ashes of...."

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Man... that would be neat if not a little depressing. Don't know how i'd continue to- WAIT...

Platinum Games does that 24/7...

Never mind, the industry would be saved. Like Noah's flood, but with RULES OF NATURE playing during, signaling the dawning of the hypest age of video games.