What would you do with 7 Billion dollars?

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Open a small game studio, make a game to my specifications exactly how i want it.
Then open a gentlemen's club/gaming hangout combination for the older gaming crowd. This will make sure underage children dont have access to M rated games, and employ women looking for a relatively easy job, as well as give the older gaming crowd a place to hang out where they wont be judged. And before you say anything, all the computers are in one large open room to prevent masturbation of any kind, and when you buy time on the computers, you are given half a dozen sanitation wipes to clean up the area. It may be a strip club, but we WOULD have standards.

After it becomes a giant success, and its packed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week ((Saturday is ladies night, who play for free)), i'll then open up a chain of fast food restaurants that server REAL BBQ ((not that crappy stuff with some sauce on it. Real, smoked, BEEF products)). Which i will open next to my Gentlemen's hangouts spread all across the US, and some of Asia ((Maybe EU too, depending on restrictions of game sales)). This way, when people get hungry, they can eat BBQ and relax in a midclass establishment clean of all filth, and the go next door (AFTER washing their hands) and play my perfectly produced RPGFPSMMO with their buddies while beautiful women dressed as gaming's finest babes dance on stage ((Or gaming's hottest heroes on Saturdays)).

I would then donate 15% of the remaining money to the Child's Play foundation, and reserve a VIP booth for Notch so we can kick it together, and exchange ideas about what our next games should be.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
7 billion is a lot. I can't imagine spending it all in my life time. I do spend on shit, but 7 billion...

First I would try to create some sort of steady income.
Opening new companies would be a good way and I would strengthen my countries economy (which is really fucked up and desperately needs help).
After that, I would build a nice house for me and I would give a generous amount to my family and probably to some of my friends. It would allow them to live without the fear of having financial problems.

My house will be in the old Japanese mansion style. I love the big walls, the beautiful roofs and the paper-like walls. But the architect will have to change things so that it will fit my countries weather. Many Japanese cherry trees... I just love them.

Some of the companies would be game related. Having my own publishing company (a privet one where only I choose what to do, but I will listen to my co-worker and the developer). Make a digital distribution platform similar to Steam, try to make it's way on consoles so that console player have a choice... I already have a nice idea for a game.
But mostly I would let the developer pick a game they would really love to do. They wouldn't really be under pressure to make a top seller. I would like if the game would at least cover its production cost, but that wouldn't be a requirement. Experimenting would be more important.

Open a country wide store dedicated to games (not even one of this kind exist in my country).

By having multiple companies, my power/influence in my country would rise, so that I would be able to make some political pressure. I would try to increase the rights of the LGBT community. It's not illegal to be LGBT, but it's really looked down on it. LGBT persons have a really hard time. Losing your job is easy, being attacked on the street is more likely than not being attacked... the law doesn't acknowledged those kind of relationships...

I would try to influence the community to be a bit more open minded.
Even being a gamer isn't accepted here. If you're 15+ y/o and you play games, people will look at you like you're crazy. Same goes for anime, unusually hair/cloth styles... anything that isn't the usually thing isn't really accepted.

I would use the money to travel around the world. There is so much that I would like to see, jet I will never be able to...

I would like to spend some money on charity, but since I don't trust all those organisations, I would create my own. And I wouldn't send just food, I would try to improve the places so that they can produce their own food.
Remember, give a man a fish, and he will have 1 meal. But show him how to fish and he will never be hungry again.
Educating the people, making work places, buying needed machines... all of that is important to help them to stand on their own feet.

And most important, I would buy anything that my mum has ever wished for.
She did so much for me, jet I'm usually a disappointment (she never said that, nor gave a hint about even thinking so. It's just my opinion). She went trough all kind of bad stuff, lost her mother at a young age, was the head of the family since then. Going to school, cooking, cleaning... she deserves it. Making her happy would be my primary objective.

P.S.
Someone knows how much I would need to buy Nintendo?

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
1. Deposit in trustworthy and reliable banks across multiple accounts. (ha!).
2. Allow interest to accumulate.
3. Take small amounts out as I need to.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3.
Kinda boring, but hey, it's what I'd do.

Alternatively I'd probably blow the first hundred million in the first week on impulse buys and then buy the rights to a bunch of stuff I don't want fucked with. Then I'd probably be right back where I began after my decisions made those IPs tank. Ah well.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
P.S.
Someone knows how much I would need to buy Nintendo?
Well, a little googling brought me the figure "$85 billion" USD. Though, I'm not sure if that's accurate.

Phantomess

Sep 19, 2009
Firstly, not tell anyone I had it. Pay off all my debts and those of my close friends and family. Buy my mother and my grandmother a house each.

Then on to the good stuff... I'd buy the rights to Doctor Who. Ensure that every actor who agrees to take on the role of The Doctor is signed on for five years. None of this "only doing one season" malarkey.

I'd reshoot The Hunger Games. I wouldn't actually change the script, I would just give them a better budget and THIS time, no shaky-cam!

I'd finally set up the game studio I've always wanted to put together, run by students. We would have a spectacular place right on Darling Harbour.

A huge chunk would go to charity as a tax write-off. I'm thinking a good-sized donation (ten million?) to the Sydney Opera House, Westmead Hospital and WWF would be a good idea. Maybe even QIMR.

I'd buy the building where I live now and renovate it. I'd leave level one as a bar and may even give it as a gift to the licensee as he's a good mate of mine, under the proviso that he keeps everything the way it is. The top floors would be my domain, though. Level two would become a 1930s bar. Level three would be kitchen and lounge, level four would be residential, level five study and multimedia. ^_^

Invest around, provide scholarships, try and rebuild Australia's gaming industry. Promote healthy work hours, good employer/employee relationships. Help set up a Mana Bar in Sydney.

Go back to my high school and build them a new IT lab and a proper music studio.

Then sit back and enjoy writing for the rest of my life.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Buy the Toronto Maple Leafs and turn them into a winning franchise! About 2 / 3 billion to buy.

Many of you would call me crazy, but even if I can't turn them around. I'd still own the most profitable team in Hockey.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
I don't know. I certainly wouldn't have to work a bullshit job at all, ever. That's the first and best thing that pops into my mind. I'd most likely end up giving most of it to certain groups that require it around the world. With this kind of money, I'd be able to avoid the charities and actually go to the places themselves to make sure it gets in the right hands.

I'd share some with my friends and family of course. The rest of it which I don't save away I would spend on small shit. Games, music, movies, vacations, the finest prostitutes on our planet, a nice little house somewhere et cetera. Nothing to out of the ordinary.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Easy, I'd make one thousand one hundred and sixty six 6 million dollar men and one 3.996 million dollar midget.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I'd give most of it away for scientific research. Fund some labs, put some in trust for scholarships, help build facilities that all the universities can use and stage some conferences. Science IS the key to the future, it's the only way out for humanity to avoid inevitable extinction. The fact that modern society doesn't value the very thing that created it is alarming and sad. I'd give the vast majority of it away to many universities, institutions, projects and researchers, because then I'd know that the money would be doing good.

I'd keep maybe 5 to 6 million for myself. I don't need anymore than that.

I mean, did you know that the Higgs Boson research that's going on in Europe could have been carried out in the USA more than a decade ago? Yeah - the US were building a collidor that was going to be massively more powerful than the LHC. But then the politicians decided that "DURR funding for Science is for MORONS! DURRRRRRR! I dun understand all this sciency stuff! DURR The people in the white lab coats scare me, DURRRR! What's the good of science if it can't build weapons to kill people, DURRRR!" and scrapped the project and spend it on useless stuff like High-ways to nowhere, an unnecessary war and a fancy new jet that was fancier than the other fancy new jets, because it's not enough to have a better jet than your enemies, you've got to have a MASSIVELY better jet than your enemies, even when the old jet will protect you just as well!

The SuperConducting Super Collider was partially built, and would have cost another couple of billion to build. I would have put all my money into it. Goddamn politicians never understand science. You've got republicans screaming on about "what's the point of fruit-fly research, DURRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" without understanding that Drosophila research is vital to basic genetic research that powers corporations such as Monsanto and Invitrogen (now renamed Life Technologies, I believe). They're so ignorant that they can never see the fact that science-for-science's sake is valuable. One of the reasons that the USSR fell so far behind the US in terms of science was that the USSR never funded any research that didn't have DIRECT APPLICATIONS, whereas the US and Private Institutions often funded research that no one ever thought would have any useful applications but ended up being enormously beneficial.

I would give the vast majority of any 7 billion dollars to random science projects and just see what they come up with. Science for science's sake is valuable.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I'd probably find out how much I need to live comfortably for the rest of my life, and beyond that, I'd take the rest and start investing in various companies I just wanna play around in.

I'd really love to own my own wrestling promotion, to be honest.

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
i'd basically try and make as many people green as financially possible :) then buy as much of the rainforests as i can with armed guards willing to shoot anyone that looks at a tree the wrong way. then i'd own a nice ranch in the middle of nowhere and adopt horses and animals. fuck questionable charity, im gunna freakin help nature myself. if i had 7 billion shit would defiantly change for the better.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I'd quit my job, buy a home, get every license available from the ATF, buy every different weapon I want, get every kind of tactical and gunfighting training I can find, start a lending company that offers much lower interest rates than the competition, and find a woman to spend the rest of my life with *before* she learns I'm a billionaire. Not necessarily in that order. Maybe moonlight as some kind of vigilante, or an independent security contractor, but honestly, I'd probably just use that training to make sure my loved ones and I are safe.

Arrogancy

Jun 9, 2009
Lucem712 said:
Hypothetical situation time, my friends!

I'm a multi-Billionaire[footnote]Made my fortune through legal means[/footnote] but I've been called on a secret mission. I cannot take my fortune with me and I see no reason it should sit in a vault collecting dust.

You are my greatest friend and thus, I leave you 7 Billion dollars to do whatever you please. So, what are you going to do with the money, friend?
Alright, I just have to ask: Why 7 billion? Seems quite arbitrary.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Arrogancy said:
Lucem712 said:
Hypothetical situation time, my friends!

I'm a multi-Billionaire[footnote]Made my fortune through legal means[/footnote] but I've been called on a secret mission. I cannot take my fortune with me and I see no reason it should sit in a vault collecting dust.

You are my greatest friend and thus, I leave you 7 Billion dollars to do whatever you please. So, what are you going to do with the money, friend?
Alright, I just have to ask: Why 7 billion? Seems quite arbitrary.
Well, anything in the billions gives you a plethora of options and 7 because it's my favourite number :p

Hemlet

Jul 31, 2009
Well, I'd be boring and dump that 7 billion into a high interest savings account with my bank. Then I'd arrange for half of the interest to be deposited into my normal savings account at the end of each month (to spend as I wish) and for the other half of the interest to sit in the high interest savings account with the 7 billion.

Doing that, I'd be slowly but surely making money, thus more interest, and thus have more and more money to play with at the end of each month. I have absolutely no goddamn clue what I'd buy with all that, but I sure know how I'd make it last.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Get my parents a nice retirement home
Buy my ass a vacation home or two
Buy things off my top 10 must haves list
Invest in the best high interest rate CD I can find and put the rest in the bank.

That is my plan with any large amount of money I would come across. The top 10 list get changes depending on how much I got.

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
Wow. I'd buy so much weed you honestly don't even know. I've been around bricks and bricks of it but I'm thinking bigger. I want so much weed that I'll have to have a section of my house just for storage. Then I'd create a room that does not let air escape and has a fire pit in the middle and just throw weed in there and get high as fuck from breathing.

Also I'd buy weapons out the ass. Illegal black market shit.

and I'd outline my house with mines and have only one path to come in and out.

Suck it gov't.

EDIT: I have no idea why people are "investing" 7 billion dollars? You think you can spend that much in your lifetime? You think it'll suddendly dissapear? No. Enjoy that theoretical money.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Well, if I throw that in the bank, even with the crappy .05% interest rate that a savings account yields, I'll be receiving a 7 figure sum every time that interest accrues. That's enough to live comfortably, and (probably) hire Bruce Campbell to be my personal sidekick full time. I honestly can't think of a better way to use that money, unless it's possible to teach penguins to be butlers.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Take enough out of the whole thing for me to retire comfortably for the rest of my life. The rest will go to various charitable organizations around the world.