What would you like to see next from the Avatar Universe?

Teriver

Nov 22, 2013
Assuming that there will be another Avatar series, which seems doubtful, what would you fine Escapists like to see from the Avatar universe?

Me, I'd like to see a prequel that follows the third avatar after Wan (who should be an earthbender). I reckon that it would be cool to see the Avatar world in a semi-primal state, without properly established nations, that is in a constant state of warfare between the nations. As for why it should be the third, we've already seen an airbender and a waterbender avatar (and to a lesser extent a firebender with Roku) and the next in the cycle would be an earthbender.

What do you think?

natenate95

Invalid CD key
Nov 5, 2008
As contrived as it may seem, I'd like to series move further into the future. I think the technological advancements in the universe are interesting and in a odd way I think a story about a future with a huge majority of people not being benders would be cool(Like somehow people stopped being able to bend through course of time). Sure it's wish fulfillment to the 9th degree to see a bender vs completely none bender weapons and some type of struggle with a larger authority, but what can you do.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I'd like to see a modern day interpretation. I'm curious as to what a modern setting in this universe would look like.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
i'm pretty sure the creators said that the series was over...and considering how hard Nickelodeon fought to get the show cancelled, it might be hard for them to do another seris even if they wanted to

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
I'd like to see a more adult series that followed someone not in their teens. I want something a little more "modern" not modern day tech. I do like what the avatar universe presents. I just want that I can relate to more.

Jak2364

Feb 9, 2010
Okay, I know lots of people here probably wouldn't like this, but I'd really like for there to be a Bioware designed game set in the Avatar universe. I think there's lots they could do with it storywise, my only worry would be the combat, but they could totally just improve off of Jade Empire's combat and it'd probably be a solid game.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
I don't know what I'd like to see. Maybe just a bit more into Korra's future at least in the form of comics or graphic novels. Honestly I think by the end of the series I really did like her more than Aang. I like Aang. I love Aang, but I think this is a fantasy show doing what it should. Fulfilling fantasies. Korra was always the type of person I wish I could be. In great physical shape, hard headed but intelligent (by the end), brash and not taking people's crap. Aang was just a kid who became a hero and while I liked him I never wanted to be him other than be a freaking Avatar. Korra is the type of person I think I've always wanted to be and I connected with her better by the end.

Did I ramble? Shit sorry got the post series blues or gushes. Yeah I really don't know what I'd want from the future of Avatar. Probably just more of Korra as an adult. Boring and lame I know.

natenate95

Invalid CD key
Nov 5, 2008
KazeAizen said:
I don't know what I'd like to see. Maybe just a bit more into Korra's future at least in the form of comics or graphic novels. Honestly I think by the end of the series I really did like her more than Aang. I like Aang. I love Aang, but I think this is a fantasy show doing what it should. Fulfilling fantasies. Korra was always the type of person I wish I could be. In great physical shape, hard headed but intelligent (by the end), brash and not taking people's crap. Aang was just a kid who became a hero and while I liked him I never wanted to be him other than be a freaking Avatar. Korra is the type of person I think I've always wanted to be and I connected with her better by the end.

Did I ramble? Shit sorry got the post series blues or gushes. Yeah I really don't know what I'd want from the future of Avatar. Probably just more of Korra as an adult. Boring and lame I know.
I'd love to see more stories with Korra as an adult to avoid the crappiest part of having an excellent character and not seeing them mature and shape the universe. Personally I agree with you and think Korra was (not so much better) as more relatable and interesting, and maybe that has to do with age and the struggles that brings.

Side note, the escapist doesn't recognize relatable as a word.

Also I think an anti-hero Avatar or married Avatar in late 20s/mid 30s would be cool.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
A game where we see an alternate history of " What if Aang never ran away from the Air Temple?" It would be a cool open world game where we get to see the Fire Nation as it starts its war and stuff.

Probably a series with some of the past Avatar's like Yang Chen, Roku, etc.

A GOOD ATLA movie.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
natenate95 said:
As contrived as it may seem, I'd like to series move further into the future. I think the technological advancements in the universe are interesting and in a odd way I think a story about a future with a huge majority of people not being benders would be cool(Like somehow people stopped being able to bend through course of time). Sure it's wish fulfillment to the 9th degree to see a bender vs completely none bender weapons and some type of struggle with a larger authority, but what can you do.
I would actually like to see just the opposite, with the opening of more spirit portals making bending a learned skill instead of an inherited one once again or possibly even a future where more people take the technique that made the avatar on a smaller scale, and start bonding with lesser spirits to create new lesser lineages.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
natenate95 said:
I'd love to see more stories with Korra as an adult to avoid the crappiest part of having an excellent character and not seeing them mature and shape the universe. Personally I agree with you and think Korra was (not so much better) as more relatable and interesting, and maybe that has to do with age and the struggles that brings.

Side note, the escapist doesn't recognize relatable as a word.

Also I think an anti-hero Avatar or married Avatar in late 20s/mid 30s would be cool.
A definite no on the anti-hero Avatar. Mostly because its so rarely done right these days and I'm just at a point where I'd much rather see more classically heroic type people or at least motives other than "I'm a good guy but I'm mostly on my own team so I kind of screw the good guys sometimes."

An adult Avatar I could get behind 100% though. Married and all.

Jul 9, 2011
A Kyoshi series/0VA would be nice. The founding of the Warriors, the challenges she'd have to face or not face depending on the cultural sensitivity to strong women in this world... But really I'd not like much of anything at all. That world was great with just TLA the series. The spinoffs and sequels have been varying shades of fun additions, but certainly nothing that makes me WANT anything more. (Ok, maybe some more Korrasami building, too, but besides that...) I'd say leave it to be now and just return when/if you feel there's some story worth telling. I'm in no rush.

NoX 9

I Want A Hug!
Jul 2, 2014
More Korra would be my prefered right now, possibly some stuff from Aang as an adult. For an entirely new Avatar I agree with OP, would be cool to see them go way back. I'm not all that crazy about the way the world was in Korra, I much prefered the less advanced A:TLA setting. Not particularily interested in seeing them go modern-day or futuristic.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
I never watched Legend of Korra and I do think it would be better for the series to just end as it had a story to tell and it told it but if going into the future ever did happen again I would like to see a science fiction story set in the distant future. I would like to see it keep the same culture and clothing style but advance to space ships and floating buildings. I suppose that would make Benders essentially Jedis so yeah I guess I want the old republic but regardless I do think it could make for some beautiful visuals.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Things I'd like to see in no particular order.

I'd like to see the death of Aang for one. I doubt it was as dramatic as Avatar Roshi's death, but I'd still like to see it.

The life of Sokka. Seriously, whatever this guy did would be gold for a show. I'd love it.

The rediscovery of the Meteor Blade. I'd really like to see the tale of some person finding Sokka's Sword, and it taking on something of a legendary history, almost becoming like a magical artifact in that it keeps going from person to person who are caught up in dramatic events. Preferably someone who isn't a bender.

The Legend of Toph.

Moving forward with the *shudder* Korra stuff and beyond, I'd like to see, well, nothing to do with any of them but Bolin really.

For the next cycle, I'd like to see, actually what would be the next in the cycle? Earth right? I dunno, honestly I can't really think of anything interesting to move forward with. The cliche thing to do would be to have the Earth Kingdom be under the rule of a tyrant, again. But considering every leader has been this, it seems a bit old hat. I mean, having some earth bender Avatar, rising up with a rebellion against a tyrannical earth kingdom sounds fun on paper, but it already feels like it's been done in both shows.

Maybe going to another planet? *shrugs* Would be interesting to see if bending even works away from their world.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Maybe something where the avatar is the bad guy? Like an avatar that is so set on the whole ends justifies the means kinda mentality they become the monster they were trying to prevent from existing so the heroes have to stop him/her.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Hmm, I imagine they could go in many directions with this.
A movie.
A Bioware game.
These are interesting ideas, but concerning the story ...

[hr]Spoilers here (just in case) ...

Varric was a great character, we need more of him and Zhu Li. Could Korra possibly die, and their son becomes the Avatar? Because a smart avatar would be interesting to see. One that can not only use bending, but technology. The good thing about this, is that he would be the second Avatar in this new cycle, so he should be a little more powerful than Korra.

Has anyone here played "Analogue: A Hate Story"? If we are going for a futuristic setting, Analogue has quite an interesting one. Futuristic AND dark, I feel like it be great if the Avatar franchise went a little more darker ... I mean this one already did, with the whole suffocating by air bending, and exploding, metal-trapped heads.

An adult Avatar. It doesn't have to be Korra, but it would be cool to see a whole story involving one. Especially if they did have many Avatars from the cycle backing them up.

And my personal favourite. An Avatar who is professional at using lightning bending. I would just find that cool as fuck, especially if they make a whole fighting style.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Actually, I'd like to see stuff that isn't about the Avatar. In both shows, my favorite characters have been people other than the Avatar, and they can be plenty powerful in their own area of skill. Stories about just random groups of people doing stuff would be cool. Maybe following a team from the White Lotus Society, since they're comprised of members from every nation. They could deal with all kinds of threats that are significant, and dramatic. I mean hell, they're the ones that trapped what's his name and his evil team of Captain Planeteers. The evil airbender Henry Rollins. I'm quite sure that fight to hunt down and capture all those people was pretty awesome. They could do an entire show about the WLS and their attempts to keep the peace.