What you're not meant to hear in songs...

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
The sound of a guitarist's fingers sliding along the strings bothers me. It sounds like one of the band members is using fingernails and a chalkboard as an instrument. I only notice it when acoustic guitars are used.

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
MysticToast said:
JochemHippie said:
Listen to Muse.

After. Every. Fuckin' Line.
To be fair though, this was only prevalent in their first couple albums. But yeah, it is pretty annoying occasionally but I can deal with it because his voice makes up for it.
You don't notice it in their latest albums?
Huh...

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
TheFunPolice said:
As Dug just mentioned, I love the percussive sound of acoustic guitars in the background of recordings

I can't think of much else that I tend to pick up on...I love it when songs have several other really quiet little things going on in the background, which you'd never hear when you first listen to it. Such as a little solo guitar riff, that just plays unbelievably quietly in the background

I love those little things
It's why I love the more acoustic RHCP songs.

Why, yes, I have stolen Matthew's avatar :D

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
Binnsyboy said:
TheFunPolice said:
As Dug just mentioned, I love the percussive sound of acoustic guitars in the background of recordings

I can't think of much else that I tend to pick up on...I love it when songs have several other really quiet little things going on in the background, which you'd never hear when you first listen to it. Such as a little solo guitar riff, that just plays unbelievably quietly in the background

Chili Peppers <3 <3
---------------------
This is gonna do my head in... DIBS ON DAYSTAR'S AVATAR

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
TheFunPolice said:
Binnsyboy said:
TheFunPolice said:

Chili Peppers <3 <3
---------------------
This is gonna do my head in... DIBS ON DAYSTAR'S AVATAR
Well, Matthew has stolen Fappy's old avatar, y'see.

In any case, as one of the Brovenger admins, for Daystar's birthday, I plan to aggravate pay tribute to him by getting as many Brovenger regulars as possible to steal his avatar for the day.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
JochemHippie said:
MysticToast said:
JochemHippie said:
Listen to Muse.

To be fair though, this was only prevalent in their first couple albums. But yeah, it is pretty annoying occasionally but I can deal with it because his voice makes up for it.
Huh...
Not nearly to the degree that I heard it in Showbiz and Absolution. I honestly don't remember hearing it a whole lot in Resistance and I haven't heard it at all in The 2nd Law.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Yeah, it happens all the time with Muse.
It doesn't put me off in the slightest, I just see it as part of the song added in for effect

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
Binnsyboy said:
I know...He was abusing me on another thread while posing as Fappy, I'm still very upset ='[

---

THAT IS AN AWESOME IDEA!
I'm excited now..It's like a six year old, waiting for Christmas

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
I listen to a lot of bands that make DIY recordings. and now that I own HQ headphones I'm hearing a lot of stuff in the background. examples: a lawn mower in the distance or a washer and/or dryer. stuff like that.

but based on what i think you mean it bothers me sometimes if i can hear fingers sliding on guitar strings when they change chords.

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
MysticToast said:
JochemHippie said:
MysticToast said:
JochemHippie said:
Listen to Muse.

Huh...
Not nearly to the degree that I heard it in Showbiz and Absolution. I honestly don't remember hearing it a whole lot in Resistance and I haven't heard it at all in The 2nd Law.
I did.
That's why it came to mind for this thread.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
TheFunPolice said:
Binnsyboy said:
I know...He was abusing me on another thread while posing as Fappy, I'm still very upset ='[

---

THAT IS AN AWESOME IDEA!
I'm excited now..It's like a six year old, waiting for Christmas
Hazy's jumped the gun a little.

But it should still be fine.

Anyway, uh...

Music! Yeah, it sure is... musical.

But really, Cabron and Brendan's Death Song.

Yeah, boyyyy!

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
I think it depends on the musician's style.

For example, you can hear Mari Boine taking breaths in some of her songs but it sounds deliberate. It sounds raw, and like she's playing with the negative space of the music.

I say this like anyone is going to have any idea who Mari Boine is...

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
DugMachine said:
Oh goodness yes. I'll listen to a song I've heard a million times before and hear something new and then I can't get it out of my head. Usually that whistle people sometimes do when they say S-words. Most guitar songs are so distorted you can't really hear the picking but in acoustic songs I can hear it but I enjoy it. Tiny layer of percussion if you want to see it that way.

The S whistle thing really drives me insane when I hear it though.
Still Got The Blues For You by Gary Moore. If you aren't familiar with it, the whistling S's will drive you mad.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I can't listen to "Bio-mechanic Man" by Lordi the same way after hearing this...

Bonus points for Harry Partridge!

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
TheFunPolice said:
Binnsyboy said:
But really, Cabron and Brendan's Death Song.
Your ears have some incredibly epic taste.
Why, thank you.

And I don't know if you've heard of them, but...

The first song is in Hebrew, because they're just that odd.

Xen0n

Sep 21, 2011
Any Zeppelin fans here may be familiar with the phone ringing on The Ocean. You can also hear the squeaking of Bonham's bassdrum-pedal on some tracks, like All of My Love, The Rain Song, and the aforementioned The Ocean.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
For worse:

I only just noticed this today, but once the main part of the song comes in around 35/40 seconds there's this obnoxious two note repeat of a brass instrament I think going on in the background.

Song ruined. GG
I always loved that bass line. :/

OT: This doesn't happen really. More often, I mishear lyrics as something else, and when I realize what the lyrics actually are, I'm often disappointed, because they aren't as good as what I thought they were. This happens a lot with bands like Rhapsody of Fire.