What'd you get for Prime Day?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
For the one of you who is unaware Prime Day has come and gone, the day Amazon Prime users get a bunch of things we don't need discounted because the company is trying to clear stock and wants to pretend we're getting a great value out of it all. So what'd you guys get?

I didn't get anything off Amazon Prime Canada because the sales kind of sucked (not a big surprise, but then we pay 80$ Canadian for our service compared to 100$ US for yours).

I did however game the system by starting a free trial on the US Amazon site and buying a complete box set of Deep Space Nine on DVD and one of TNG on BluRay. I plan to cancel by 30 day free trial once they get here, though I'm aware this means I won't get to do this trick again next year unless I'm willing to make a new account, which frankly will probably not be worth it. Prime Day is overrated.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Nothing. I didn't even know it was happening - guess I'm the one. I try to limit my use of Amazon. I understand its usefulness, but at least here in STL we've lost hundreds of jobs as malls and department stores shut down because of places like Amazon. I try to shop as locally as I can for my knick knacks, and only use Ebay or Amazon when local stores don't have what I need, which is not often, but occasional.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
For a moment there, I though this was some weird made up holiday commemorating the death of Optimus Prime in Transformers: The Movie.

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna let myself out now.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I got the satisfaction from gleeful schadenfreude seeing a bunch of co "workers" in the sales pits glowering in frustration at pictures of cute sad dogs.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
What did I get for Prime Day?

Optimus.

Majestic_Manatee

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2017
Country
Wales
A sinking feeling that the "corporate holiday" has decided to drop all pretense at being anything else and going straight for the "give us all your money and kindly fuck off" day.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I turned old so I bought two smoke/CO2 combo detectors, a pair of flash lights, and a Fire Stick.

I actually wanted to buy that 50" Toshiba TV (perk of being old, I can actually buy cool shit once in a while) but they sold out before I pulled the trigger :(

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Psh, why would I ever order things online and wait 1-3 days to get it, when I can get it for cheaper in 5 minutes by walking to the store?

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Zontar said:
For the one of you who is unaware Prime Day has come and gone, the day Amazon Prime users get a bunch of things we don't need discounted because the company is trying to clear stock and wants to pretend we're getting a great value out of it all. So what'd you guys get?

I didn't get anything off Amazon Prime Canada because the sales kind of sucked (not a big surprise, but then we pay 80$ Canadian for our service compared to 100$ US for yours).

I did however game the system by starting a free trial on the US Amazon site and buying a complete box set of Deep Space Nine on DVD and one of TNG on BluRay. I plan to cancel by 30 day free trial once they get here, though I'm aware this means I won't get to do this trick again next year unless I'm willing to make a new account, which frankly will probably not be worth it. Prime Day is overrated.
i'm leaching the prime membership of my wife mother. i didnt really check what was on sale, but we did hold anything that we would have buying in the prior weeks and order it on that day. there was a bunch of clothes for my daugthers that was discounted, a few thing for school, because my oldest daughter is starting school next month, that we needed was discounted as well. i order a car radio with a backup camera because my radio is broken and it's kind of depressing having no music at all in my car, but thoses didnt had any discount on it.

i do orders online usually because it's often cheaper on amazon than in a store, but i usually check. also because it try to avoid going in montreal as much as possible there's a few things that i prefer to get online even if it's the same price...

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I didn't buy anything this year. Just went through a move and had to pay double rent for July.

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
A few wires and computer parts to update my rig. Saved around $300 + free delivery so I'm happy.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Nothing because I refuse to sign up, even temporarily, to their premium service.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I don't have a Prime account anymore, I live in a place were 'streaming' is kind of hard, so...yeah.

NOTHING.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I boycott Amazon. So I got myself a big fat box of zilch, with some nada sprinkled on top.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I didn't know so many people had it out for Amazon.

Gergar12_v1legacy

Aug 17, 2012
I used to hate Amazon. Until I realized they are super cheap and can save me lots of money.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pkPvnH/by_merchant/

The downside to this is that by me doing this. I represent a lost sale to someone in Best Buy, Microcenter, and Walmart. That means that while I supporting the job of a high turnover Amazon executive or warehouse worker, I am contributing to the downfall of cashiers, and salesmen.