What're you gonna do in PS3 downtime?

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Therumancer said:
It would be ironic if right now Australia was beset by a wave of violence, as PS-3 deprived youths take to the streets in orgies of murder, rape, and cannibalism. Leading to Michael Atkinson being forced to change his position, endorsing the nessecity of video games to pacify these mobs so another atrocity like this would ever happen again.... right before a couple of insane 13 year olds leap out of the crowd and rip open his throat to drink deeply of his bloody before howling and running back off to their basements to play some Demon's Souls. :p

"Today on the news, the globe looks on in terror at the aftermath of the Australian PS-3 riots. The death toll has eclipsed Haiti and Chilie combined, international aid workers are busy unpacking food, medicine, and PS-3 machines and games to pacify the crowds..."

... with mine down I'm playing other games, and writing silly messages like this one.
Silly? That was the world biggest understatement.

OT: I'm going to do homework, work out my identity theft issue (fuckin asshole), and catch up on Bleach, Gundam 00, MS Igloo, and other shows.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Macgyvercas said:
Well, from what I understand, only PSN is disabled, not the system itself. So one could still use it for single player games and non online multiplayer, yes?

This is incorrect.

Right now the PS-3 cannot connect to the internet at all, this means that any game that involved DRM to prevent or slow down piracy and burning and such is going to have problems. What's more as I (and others) discovered games downloaded to your hard drive from PSN also require an internet connection/verification. This means they either do not function, or come up as an unregistered/demo version of the game.

To put things into perspective I was going to play "Batman: Arkham Asylum" last night and couldn't get it to work properly. What's more every few seconds even while in the combat training rooms I was getting error messages as the thing constantly tried to connect online for the leaderboards or something.

I am not saying that there are not single player games that will function, but it's kind of hit and miss. Whether they put it in the EULA or something, it's rapidly becoming apparent that the PS-3 had a lot more online dependancy than many people thought, it certainly wasn't on the box or in the game docs.

For those to whom it matters there are also trophy issues since the trophy system has apparently become corrupted, which means that people are concerned that they might be missing trophies, and what's more that trophies they earn during this down time will not register.

This is a crisis for a reason, it's affecting a lot more than just people's abillity to go online and play with others.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Laugh heartily, and go about my day exactly like I would have otherwise because I don't have a PS3 - the glorious PC-gaming master race is immune, immune I say!

But seriously, this is a terrible annoyance for all you poor PS3 gamers that I'm all choked up about, I promise. *snicker*

Tuddle

Nov 12, 2009
megapenguinx said:
Tuddle said:
Catkid906 said:
Well the PS3 is ka-put world-wide.
It's only for the fat PS3. PS3 slim works fine.
The PS3 fat is dead? What? When did this happen? Did they all shut down randomly or something?
/me is very confused and decides to google it.
Well I guess this means my roommates can't hog my PS3 all day....
Sony says do not play your (fat only) PS3 until they fix it. It even effects your (fat only) PS3 offline.

Generator

May 8, 2009
Well, I guess I'm glad I finished InFamous on Saturday... or maybe not. Honestly, I don't think I'm affected at all as I've yet to sign up for PSN, but it's still kinda cool that I finished a game literally the night before this whole thing hit.

As for what I'm going to do, I've been considering going back and playing one of the old Ratchet & Clank games. I'm leaning towards Going Commando, as that's my personal favorite of the series.

pantallica95

May 17, 2009
Battenbergcake said:
You know Single player doesn't need a wi-fi connection to work, it's amazing i know =D
I agree. Single player is where it's at. If the network goes down it will not affect me at all.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
Play my PS3, because i bought the slim ... sorry to those who are on downtime

wait is it possible for them to play games without trophies?

loppopoo

Oct 12, 2009
s69-5 said:
loppopoo said:
Um, mine works now.
Is it a slim, or a have they fixed the problem.
If it's a slim, it was never affected. Only those of us with older models are affected. (mine's a BC 80Gb)
Mine's a fat, but somehow back to normal.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
s69-5 said:
Blanks said:
Play my PS3, because i bought the slim ... sorry to those who are on downtime

wait is it possible for them to play games without trophies?
No it wouldn't let us. But it's all fixed now (at least it is for me). The missing trophies are back as well.

I think you just need to go to your profile on the last tab and it will re-sync the trophies back into your trophy folder. At least that's how it seemed to work for me.
i meant games that don't have trophies though those are limited to launch titles i believe

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Laugh heartily, and go about my day exactly like I would have otherwise because I don't have a PS3 - the glorious PC-gaming master race is immune, immune I say!

But seriously, this is a terrible annoyance for all you poor PS3 gamers that I'm all choked up about, I promise. *snicker*
Have fun on your pc when Steam goes down, or when you can't play warcraft because of maintenance :)