What's a 'deal-breaker' for you when it comes to a possible relationship?

Hunter65416

Oct 22, 2010
For me the few big things that I cant stand are:
-Any kind of closed-mindedness
-Political correctness
-People who dislike animals

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
being a murder psychopath.....and so unattractive that I can;t stomach the thourght of...

I mean really I wouldnt want to set pre-requisites

Luna

Apr 28, 2012
She can't be a gossiping *****, (I hate that bullshit), an attention whore or inconsiderate of others.

It would also be nice if she had a hobby besides shopping and facebook, which are not really hobbies. Basically I'd like her to be relatively interesting.

She also has to be physically attractive to me. I don't have insane standards or anything though, however dat ass is of utmost importance.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
I suppose the normal:

Liars, cheats, being abusive both mentally and physically, being a douche, not accepting other opinions, and I believe I should be emotionally and physically attracted to them.

I want a decent guy I suppose. Cliche much? Yes, but desirable.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
Smoker is my big one.. i dont like smokers a lot... they tend to smell horrible and yea.. not good :D also heavy drinkers yuck!

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
I can't help but be turned off by smoking. Not when friends do it, but any sort of possible relationship being a smoker is a no. If I know that this girl has cheated on a previous relationship in the past, I'd not likely go near her.

Also, if she couldn't stand/absolutely hated dogs, she's out. Sorry, but dogs rock.

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
What was posted above works for me as well.

But here is one. I like a woman who is not addicted to her cell phone. I find it incredibly insulting when I am on a date and she pulls out her phone and goes on facebook or texting someone with me sitting across the table from her.

I suppose this is par for the course for college dating but it does not make it any less annoying. Maybe I should start dating older women.

straymatter

May 1, 2012
If he...

... smokes.
... drinks excessively.
... uses any of the following words to describe exes: bitchy, whorish, slutty, stuck-up. In fact, please don't talk about your ex, unless it's something I really need to know.
... refuses to meet/interact with my family.
... insists on paying for everything, /every time/.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
There are reasons I don't date anymore, but I'll share some deal-breakers anyway.

-If they are a chain smoker/heavy smoker. I would have to REALLY want the person to put up with smoking. Marijuana is fine though of course. I grew up with my mom as a chain smoker and I don't feel like dealing with it anymore.

-If they suck badly at kissing and refuse to try new things like practice kissing. *It's happened*

-I like people that can talk, I have only been with quiet people and I eventually get tired of doing ALL the talking, wondering if they are even listening. You don't have to be super chatty, just enjoy talking.

-If there personality disagree's with me. *This is probably the biggest deal-breaker and it is very hard to describe in detail*

All you need is love?

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
Honestly when I think about it, there's too many things I can think up of that would be really awful traits for people to have. Though I suppose I could cover a fair few by saying that they need to at least be decent people.
Isn't "decent people" really subjective though? There are domestic abuse victims who will tell you to your face that, despite the fact they're abusive, their partner is a "decent" person.

Needs to be independent. I'm a fairly emotionally guarded person and the biggest initial turn off I can think of personality wise is someone who clearly wants to be in a relationship for the sake of being in a relationship.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
If she's not attractive to me, that's sort of it, isn't it?

I don't have all that many other deal breakers. That's not to say I'm not a picky ass, but I don't have any very specific terms she has to fulfill.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
- Not taking care of yourself (hygiene, weight, etc.)
- Having low standards for cleanliness in your living space and reliance on others to clean for you
- Not having sufficient organization skills to manage your own life
- Not showing any interest in the things that are most important to my life.

I've been in a relationship for almost nine years, and some of these things should have tipped me off early on, but I ignored them to the point that they make it very hard for me now that I have been living with that person for a few years.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well if she hates video games that would probably be a deal breaker for me. :p

That and if she was shallow, unkind, closed-minded, smokes and/or drinks excessively, and overall just a *****.

Luna said:
dat ass is of utmost importance.
Seconded.
Vault101 said:
being a murder psychopath.....
I can't help but smile a little when I read that and then look at your avatar. :)

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Not being dead, that would be a total turn off for me at this point because I've never been in a relationship so I'm not gonna be very picky at this point.

For the serious answer, no smoking, can't be very negative and be massively arrogant. A friend of mine is really arrogant and every time I told to him somehow most of the time it comes to how awesome he is at something, so it makes me wonder why I'm friends with him to begin with. Also, doesn't have a sense of humor since I tend to joke around a lot and am very sarcastic, so I need someone that can carry on with me and/or tolerate my humor.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Personality is the biggest thing for me so if she has a bad personality or a personality I don't much like then it would be a deal breaker for me. I'm not too picky so as long as she doesn't make me sick to look at her then I would be good.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Hunter65416 said:
-Any kind of closed-mindedness
Well my God, no wonder you're your own worst enemy.

Biggest deal breaker for a relationship for me is time... then money, and it all has to do with me. I don't have time for a relationship and I don't have money for one either.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
I wouldn't want sex to be required. No smoking, drug use or excessive alcohol. No strong religious feelings (not because I have a problem with it, but because I imagine it may lead to issues down the road/it will be a great big elephant in the room, and we will NEVER talk about it).

What else ... can't be racist/sexist/other form of blatant discrimination. Must not be a tool.

How's that? Probably more, but those are some of the big ones.