What's a good anime to break into anime?

Nokes

Nov 26, 2009
I started with Pokemon! Hah, but my first real Anime was Fullmetal Alchemist.

Really, everyone has a preference though, you have to find different animes that suit different people's preferences. Give brief summaries, and hype it up a bit. Also it should be easy to pronounce.

Owlbear

May 25, 2010
I also started with Death Note, so I would recommend that, as well as Fullmetal Alchemist. There are quite a few good ones, but those are two particularly good ones for just getting into anime. By the way, for both of these the English Dub is quite good, in fact, for Death Note I actually liked the Dub better!

Netgearer22

Feb 3, 2011
To break someone in, I suggest Dragonball Z, or the less filler filled Dragonball Z Kai, lots of action, good plot (most of the time) characters you will enjoy, so on and so forth. Keep them away from the stuff shitted down with fan services like High School of the Dead,Rosario + Vampire, and Kenichi, it will only turn them off and think all anime is just hentai. Start small, then expand, get something from the 90s, Cowboy Bebop, DBZ, Big O, hell Inuyasha if you have a feminine/female friend you want to introduce to the genre, that is just what I think.

Karthesios

Jul 11, 2010
I started my folks with Claymore which was pretty well received and am now showing them Death Note, which they actually seem to like better. I'd recommend either of those (Claymore only if they can handle a high violence level though).

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I'd go with either Code Geass, or something they will remember from their toonami days, like DBZ or Gundam Wing.

Soulfoodman

Dec 20, 2009
I would recommend starting out with some really good anime movies, just to get your friends more used to the style without forcing them to devote themselves to a series. Almost any Hayao Miyazaki film, especially the more recent ones. Summer Wars was mentioned above, but I'll recommend it again. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is another good one.

As for anime series, a number of the better animes that have appeared on Adult Swim would be good, but you still need to be a little careful when picking one.

EDIT: Just thought maybe I should add a few things to avoid.
- Ecchi, or at the very least know what would be too much. Do not pick a harem anime.
- Don't get too old with it. There are exceptions, but for the most part keep it relatively young.

uhddh

Sep 27, 2011
I started with Yugioh but Higurashi no naku koro ni (subbed the dub is horrid) is a decent horror anime to entice people. Follow with Higurashi Kai. However Death Note and Cowboy Bebop or westernish with good dubs. Also keep away from things like Vampire Knight and High School of the Dead unless they're retards. Then go for it.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
Azumanga Daioh. Yes, it'll be embarrassing to watch with them at first. But the content of the show is very good. It's got a good sense of humor mixed with Japanese daily life, and will get your friends into the right mindset for watching anime, without alienating them. It's not for stupid people though. The humor is slow and subtle. So if your friends are the energetic frat-boy type, avoid it.

Alternatively, if your friends like action, introduce them via Black Lagoon. Lots of shooty action and other stuff that's easily accessible to an international audience. Not too much difficult thinking until later in. And by that point, the show's already broken the ice with bullets.

Or, try Desert Punk. You wanna leave a good first impression. And if they like a comedic series, Desert Punk will make 'em laugh. Again, another series people start in on for the comedy and action, but stay for the plot and character development.

Incidentally if your friends assume right off the bat that all anime is about an average-looking dude with no distinguishable characteristics being surrounded by hot girls who inexplicably desire his dongle, and in fact your friends WANT you to confirm the stereotype and introduce them via just such an anime for some reason, then start 'em off with Sekirei.

itsausernamewhatofit said:
I "converted" several friends with Baccano!, so I guess that would be my choice to start people on.
I also second this. I got a friend into anime through Baccano! But again, this one is also not for the slow-minded. The plot starts at the end, and jumps around quite a lot, from different perspectives. And everybody is a main character. People with bad attention spans will stay interested because of the ever-present action, but they won't know what the heck is going on. If you have confidence in your friends' abilities to pay attention, by all means go for it.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Well I think FMA is a great place to start. Also Full Metal Panic is a great series + it's not too long.

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
-I also recommend Death Note to someone in their mid teens, great show
-Bleach is a good anime, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is likely to judge a genre off a single show. One Piece is a great anime for everyone.
-Fullmetal Alchemist and Brotherhood are both great and I think it just sort of comes down to their personality whether or not they will like those.
-Fairy Tail for the same reasons as One Piece
-I've heard good things about Cowboy Bebop, but I've only seen a few episodes

Decide if they'd probably like an anime which is more action-oriented like bleach, dark like
Death Note, or funny like One Piece or Fairy Tail (both of which still have great action) and base what you recommend to them off that

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
STICK WITH THE SHORT SERIES (13 episode seasons) AND MOVIES!
Seriously, that's all you can really do.

Also, you can't go wrong with Studio Ghibli films - most of them are easy on Western eyes and ears.

Guardian of Nekops

May 25, 2011
believer258 said:
Finally, I would say the original Full Metal Alchemist.
I'm with believer on this one. The original FMA is very accessable to a new watcher of anime... it's where I started, and it eases people into the medium with a pretty understandable story... as anime goes, anyway. :p

Be careful not to start them with FMA:Brotherhood... I also like that story arc and find it to be superior in some ways, but at times it seems to assume you've seen the original... it only shows still from several of the original beginning episodes, probably because they felt they had been done perfectly the first time and it would be difficult to add to them. However, the skipping of key plot points could be odd for a new watcher, I know it was for me even having watched the old content.

Erin Wright

Sep 30, 2011
Fullmetal Alchemist and Miyazaki films would be my starters. Random personal info: I began with Sailor Moon(as several others have).

FirebirdXR

Feb 22, 2011
A few of the above posters already given you several good shows, but that depends mostly on your proper tastes.
I will give some suggestions based on "certain" genres;

Action anime:
Watch either Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (which you can watch either the series, whose enlish-dubs seem better than the subtitled version, or blow it off quickly with the shortened, even-more-over-the-top subbed-only movie adaptation)

....and the Dragonball Z movies (the first three are the only ones done well, IMOP).

Off-beat anime:
Fooly Cooly or FLCL for short. It has quirky and with extremely eccentric loony toony battles. It also deals with the underlying aspect of coming-to-age.

Balanced anime (action, comedy, drama, etc):
Full Metal Alchemist, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo.

Thriller:
Death Note and Code Geass are pretty good at this, but if you want something more sophisticated and grounded-to-reality, then go see Naoki Urasawa's Monster.

For kids:
I'd say Digimon over Pokemon, since the former tends to be more bearable to watch with the young ones, and only the earlier seasons of both.

If you don't mind subs, then go see Heroman, which the first anime penned by Marvel creator Stan Lee, of Spider-Man and X-men fame. It follows anime tropes to T, which might turn some people off (it almost did for me). But actually became a bit endearing in its own way.

Psychological anime:
Neon Genesis Evangelion, starting with the original series, then its follow up movie, End of Evangelion. From there you can decide whether to watch the Rebuild versions, which some theorize might be sequel than a retelling of the series.

The Big O is actually more noir-styled than psychological, at least before the later half of the series. For the most part, it feels like Batman: The Animated Series but with giant fighting robots. In other words... AWESOME!

Long-running anime (100+ episodes):
Watch Dragonball starting with original series, with Goku as a kid. It is a vastly more endearing and heart-warming than what it becomes later, which is essentially a slugfest (which ain't bad, mind you). From there, watch the Dragonball Z Kai version, which cuts out most of the filler.

One Piece, with over 500+ episodes including 10 films it has one the bigger cult followings in long-running anime, and for good reason. I'd suggest skipping some of the filler content, though.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
InsipidMadness said:
but OP is still amazing. Now I'm not here to pick favorites, I'm sure there's supporters to every angle and I've seen threads before with an anime pointing finger contest, so lets get to the point shall we.
What do you mean not picking favorites?

Seeing One Piece as the amazing thing it is, and acknowledging that, is not favoritism. Just common sense.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I think that it's madly overhyped, but it's still a good starter anime. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann makes for a great starter anime for fans of action. It's overrated, but by no means is it a bad starter anime.

Another greater starter is Princess Mononoke.

And another obvious one that everyone recommends is Cowboy Bebop.

And for more:
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Samurai Champloo
- The Big O
- Kara no Kyoukai
- Outlaw Star
- Metropolis
- Azumanga Daioh
- Wolf's Rain
- Ghost in the Shell
- .hack//Sign
- Paranoia Agent
- Toradora
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
- Eve no Jikan
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- Pale Cocoon
- Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
- Kino's Journey

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
I'm not really a fan of Anime, but I started watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and i'm liking it so far

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
No one's said it yet but a good starting Anime is Rurouni Kenshin. (Or Samurai X) It isn't anything life changing but it's a good story and animation.

Also you can't go wrong with any of the Studio Ghibli films.