What's a song you love that has a horrible version of it?

jamail77

May 21, 2011
AroLombardi said:
jamail77 said:
AroLombardi said:
snip
I see what you mean, and you're right that there were a lot of additions that didn't fit with the rest of the game. Especially since it was like one of few songs in both games with lyrics, so it was breaking theme either way. I didn't know it was the same singer though, but yeah I like the PAL version's singing. Even if it may be the same singer, she definitely goes for a wider range than in the US(?) version. But I think it does come down to a matter of tolerance of autotune. I don't encourage it, especially with singers that have not established skill before using it, but I think things can still sound good with them.
I didn't mind that it broke theme in regards to having lyrics because that was 1 of my favorite aspects of that boss battle. It worked for me. I could be wrong on all versions being sung by the same woman, but the last time I checked it was the same singer. And, yeah, the other one was the US version. It does come down to tolerance of autotune and mine is definitely not as high as others'. Autotune can be done well if used minimally and appropriately. My problem is it is more often used to correct bad singing or add some strange quality (often robotic) to good singing that was never needed and often makes music worse. For me, in the case of "Philistine" it's the latter.

AroLombardi said:
jamail77 said:
AroLombardi said:
snip
Don't know much either, actually. I've heard a few other songs and he has moments of fairly good singing, but it was mostly songs with lower and more narrow tone ranges. He's a likable dude, and I want him to keep creating, but boy if he got with a good partner he could do amazing songs.
That would make sense if he was Israeli, which he is. I looked him up. I'm just going off my experiences with Israeli accents, not to sound generalizing or offensive. That just tends to be my experience and, as I said, his musical talents would lean in that direction based on my experiences with Israelis.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
necromanzer52 said:
Overall, it's not that bad, except for one small but very important moment. She changed the line to "I hope I don't die before I get old". Way to miss the entire point of the song, Hilary.
YES! YES! YES! And way to turn a song with a rebelliously youthful attitude into corporate-approved drivel. Though I might have a stronger reaction to that than most people - I have nearly 300 Who CDs, LPs, EPs, 7" singles, box sets, bootlegs, and so on in my collection. ;) You could say I'm a rabid Who fan.

OT now!

One of the most egregious examples of a bad cover song of a much-loved original is Fine Young Cannibals' version of The Buzzcocks' Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've). Turning a punk masterpiece into '80s crap-pop is just... no.

Here's how you cover that song correctly - take it in a totally different, but equally catchy direction:

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009

Smooth Criminal, one of Mr Jacksons best songs (In my humble opinion) had one version done by a band I'm not fond of, and I think they butchered it to boot. Alien Ant Farm.

MRMIdAS2k

Apr 23, 2008
MorganL4 said:
MRMIdAS2k said:

good lord she ruins the living hell out of this.

Just utterly rotten.
WHY? WHY?!?!?! YOU JACKASS.... I had happily forgotten that that horrific mess existed, and then you HAD to post it. Didn't you. I now officially hate you, congratulations.
Sorry, but that reaction gives my argument weight.