What's happened with this site's design?

JFSOCC

Apr 5, 2010
Fire your webdesigner, seriously. Over the course of a year, maybe a year and a half, site has become completely unnavigable, un-intuitive, and heavy, bloated with crap. If your intention was to look more like every other generic community newssite/gaming website, you've succeeded, but I hardly see that as something to aspire to.
I have more trouble finding what I'm looking for ( especially anything older than 2 days), and the sites takes longer to load than ever before. It's gotten to the point where I seriously don't enjoy coming to the site anymore.

And I can't believe that I'm alone here. I can deal with the forced advertisements crammed down my throat, though it's not earning you my friendship, I can deal with longer load-times when a new Zero Punctuation has just been released, but I swear, this site design is AWFUL.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
I don't really mind...
Everything is neatly organised in links at the top... Forums are condensed into one drop-down button, there really isn't an issue for me except the front page with everything changing too quickly or me accidentally movie my mouse and I forget where I'm going with this.

Is advertisements that big of an issue for you? just think of em as wallpaper or something, captchas aren't an issue at all since I can just type in whatever and not a single fuckcare was given, just lighten up dude no need to get so angry over a couple of ads.

You're also a little late to the party, people were complaining ages ago when it just changed.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
I actually really like this design. The drop down menu on your user icon is pretty awesome and saves me from multi-clicks just to get to my usergroup.

Also, it's now usable on Wednesday! :O And if you really dislike the ads, just support the site for 20 bucks and get-a pub membership.
[sub]Besides, if you use the new wallpapers/themes, there aren't that many. Just one on top and one on bottom.[/sub]

I'm sure someone will link you to where you can discuss the GUI with people that work on it.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011

This current design is miles better than the one they originally tried changing it to with the always-blinding-white background all the time. Hell, my only complaint is that the site itself tends to bug out a lot, making the forums update ridiculously slowly and occasionally breaking the "Popular Posts" box.

Dec 14, 2009
Well aren't you a barrel of vitriolic laughs.

I actually really like the new layout and I have no technical difficulties with it.

Now what?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
JFSOCC said:
Fire your webdesigner, seriously. Over the course of a year, maybe a year and a half, site has become completely unnavigable, un-intuitive, and heavy, bloated with crap. If your intention was to look more like every other generic community newssite/gaming website, you've succeeded, but I hardly see that as something to aspire to.
I have more trouble finding what I'm looking for ( especially anything older than 2 days), and the sites takes longer to load than ever before. It's gotten to the point where I seriously don't enjoy coming to the site anymore.

And I can't believe that I'm alone here. I can deal with the forced advertisements crammed down my throat, though it's not earning you my friendship, I can deal with longer load-times when a new Zero Punctuation has just been released, but I swear, this site design is AWFUL.
*Raises hand*

The site design has ALWAYS been awful. If you mean worse, well...yes, we noticed.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Well aren't you a barrel of vitriolic laughs.

I actually really like the new layout and I have no technical difficulties with it.

Now what?
Now we act like the douches we are and mention how great the pubclub is?

We sit and continue to enjoy a website which might have changed a bit in appearance but not much in character.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
I didn't like it when I first saw it, but to be honest... I've already forgotten what the old site looked like.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I don't have any problems with the site design.
*shrug*

It's the kind of stuff that grows on you.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Jynthor said:
I didn't like it when I first saw it, but to be honest... I've already forgotten what the old site looked like.
Yeah this tends to be the eventuality with all the design changes for the sites I visit. At first, I might dislike it but once I get used to it, I forget what it used to look like.

JFSOCC

Apr 5, 2010
Wow, I didn't realise I stood alone, and I have trouble comprehending it, but well, so be it.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Yeah, I don't really have much of a problem with the site design. And get pubclub if the ads are annoying to you.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I like this design. Its easily the most sensible they've had in recent years. I mean, some of the old designs were good, but there's no way those could hold up the amount of content now.

Oh and what adverts? That word does not seem to appear in the PubClub dictionary :p

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I prefer this one to the last one... but I must admit, I prefer the layout they had back when I started lurking here in '07.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
JFSOCC said:
Wow, I didn't realise I stood alone, and I have trouble comprehending it, but well, so be it.
You don't. I too see plenty of problems with this site's design from a designer's perspective. I was actually getting webdesign classes right around the time they implemented their new design so I talked about it with my teacher. My issues basically boil down to this:

- There isn't that much of a distinction between groups of content making it look cluttered at first glance.
- There isn't a lot of white space between content areas making it feel pretty damn bloated and cramped.
- Most things, especially thumbnails, are about the same size and there's a lot of them.

Those things combined do nothing to direct my eyes; I don't know where to look. Well, I do because I'm an experienced user. And honestly, I think everyone posting in this thread is. Most of us are. But this design is pretty user unfriendly for new users. There's a lot of stuff and a lot of it looks almost the same. It's just not very inviting. Not to mention that the color scheme is rather cool and business-like. Doesn't really fit with the whole "We're a tight community" idea of The Escapist.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
I'm fine with it.
The thing I really don't like though, is that they removed the 4 random videos from the series you're currently watching.

It's really annoying because I can't go on sprees of watching zero punctuation. It has the 4 most recent ones which is fine, but I want random as well.

Now I have to watch it on youtube, but half of the bloody things don't even get uploaded there >:/

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Now what?
The same thing I assume you do every day.
Try to take over the Escapist.

And probably make jokes about how the OP is being silly and this is all fairly pointless...

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Even as I'm posting this the loady circle thing on my tab bar keeps spinning like there's something it hasn't loaded yet. This usually means the site has stopped retrieving info and I'm probably gonna have to re-post and hope it sends.

Seriously, fix this. I don't know if it's the crappy new layout's fault, but what incentive is there to join the pub club if the site is broken half the time anyway?