What's in a Game?

Dreadjaws

Nov 29, 2011
Rogue 09 said:
Not a fan of this first installment, but I'll play along.
Care to explain what you mean by "first installment"?

Anyway, I played through the end of "Loneliness" and its author claims he created the "notgame" as a love letter to everyone who has felt loneliness. So, in order to homage people who have felt loneliness, he creates a game that makes you feel loneliness. Jeez, that's like punching someone to comfort him for taking a beating.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
game
/gām/
Noun
A form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

vid·e·o
/ˈvidēˌō/
Noun
The system of recording, reproducing, or broadcasting moving visual images on or from videotape or other storage media.

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but you're all thinking way too deeply about this. A "video game" is just a form of play, especially a competitive one played according to rules decided by skill, strength or luck that is broadcast (to your TV or Monitor from your PC or XBox or whatever) on or from videotape(some early games did come on tapes) or other storage media.

In the case of something like Dear Esther, which is purely a "look and don't touch" experience, you can put that down to nothing but a virtual art gallery, in my opinion. The same goes for anything that requires no actual input from a player or third party.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
All that and no mention of Yume Nikki or LSD? Those are probably the most mainstream examples of "notgames".

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Shamus Young said:
What's in a Game?

How we define videogames has changed much since their creation.

Read Full Article
Even your definition has problems, Shamus. If a videogame is software that can be played, what does play mean? If we do a quick google we come up with "Engage in activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose."

If that's the case, if you were doing the coding you described for something other than a practical purpose (i.e. for fun) then coding is a videogame. Same with drawing those anime characters in Paint Tool Sai.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
"Play" is a broad enough term to include lots of things. It means surviving as long as possible in a game with an explicit lose state. It means getting to the end credits in a game with an explicit win state. But play also means probing new systems and discovering how they behave in response to your input. What happens if I build an incomplete rollercoaster? What if I take away all the trash cans in my Sims house? What if I set fire to these Minecraft trees? You don't win or lose when you answer these questions, but you are still playing. Play can also include exploring a game world to get an emotional response.
The English word "Play" is very broad, which may be the cause of some of the confusion. Some languages have a very clear distinction between "playing" and "playing a game". The activities often overlap though. When someone is playing a tabletop wargame they may also be playing with toysoldiers in a less rulebound way. When someone is playing with lego they may make up rules that are very similar to playing a game.

But even though definitions are never completely clear and almost always overlap, they are still useful. If a developer describes their software as a non-game that description is very telling because the definition exists and relates to it. It isn't possible to describe something as a non-game without having the definition of a game in mind.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the use of words often change depending on the context in which they are used. Describing SimCity as a game can be useful to set it apart from office software. Describing it as a toy can be useful to distinguish it from more traditional games. Our language is very dependant on context, so something can be a game in one context and a non-game in another context. It only seems confusing when the context is taken away and the defintions are discussed in general.

Win/Loss states of a game is not something we learned to accept from arcade machines. Chess is a game that is thousands of years old, which has very clear win/loss states. The existence of traditional board games may be a reason why we have a very strong conception of what makes a game. One characteristic of gaming that may be very new is the conception of a single player game, this is a concept that used to be difficult to accomplish without the use of software. I think D&D and roleplaying games in general was very influential for this development because it introduced the concept we often call PvE nowadays, the idea that a game doesn't need to be competitive. For this reason roleplaying games used to be considered something different than a game.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
I feel like this is relevant somehow:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/01/microsoft-pimps-it-old-school-with-a-pricey-text-adventure-game/

Even Visual Studio can be seen as a game if you stretch the definitions enough...

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
I like how you've described it, but the problem will always be that certain parts of a definition can be reinterpreted by anyone. In this case "play". Lately I've been thinking about it more in terms of function vs form. What it does/how it works vs how it looks/feels (where "feel" is distinct from a pure mechanical sense).

Basically for videogames, form and function are either tied to each other (most types of games), or the function works to serve the form (in the case of games like Proteus/Dear Esther). In other software applications like Paint or Word, the form (ie the UI) is there to serve the function (to make pictures, write books). But that's not really any more definitive than anything else.

Rogue 09 said:
The issue with Pluto is that a minority came along and told the world that it was in the wrong. That the majority who have used the term planet for Pluto were incorrect. So they renamed it a "Dwarf Planet", seemingly just to tick us off. We all knew that Pluto was small, but we used other terms to describe that element of it. We described it's mass, it's width, it's gravitational pull.

We have a separate word for Jupiter: "Gas Giant". That doesn't mean it stopped being a planet. It was like someone went into an art gallery, said you were looking at the Mona Lisa wrong, moved it 3 degrees to the right, and then said "Enjoy". Nothing at all has changed, you just messed with something because you have nothing better to do.
The "minority" that came along are also know as astronomers, people who know about, study, and seek to further our knowledge of spacestuff. In the case of Pluto, it wasn't telling people they are wrong just to annoy them. It was telling people their wrong because they/we were ignorant of correct information. The short version of the Pluto reclassification is basically Asteroid Belt part 2.

A still pretty short but entertaining and non-condescending version:

<youtube=Z_2gbGXzFbs>

Being wrong is how you learn new things and learning is good.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
It's funny, when the Pluto stuff started I jokingly suggested we do what Nova Scotia did. To oversimplify: With all the kids moving out west, the tax base was falling apart and the town of Canso was in danger of not being a town anymore. One of the options floated was the new designation of "Heritage Town", which basically meant "village but we're gonna keep calling you a town so we don't have to change the signs", presumably with the hope that it would either revitalize or collapse completely before someone had to do something about it for realz.

So I suggested that Pluto be designated a "Heritage planet" so that we could just officially do what was happening anyway: Everyone who learned it was a planet in school got to keep calling it a planet if they wanted but kids had to be taught it wasn't, thus letting the problem either wait for a new astronomical paradigm shift or for all the adults to age and die.

For an amusingly forward-looking take on the Pluto controversy, read David Neilsen's "Brief Conversations with the Planet Pluto", which were written before the "dwarf planet" holy wars took off:

http://brunching.com/conversationpluto.html
http://brunching.com/morepluto.html

PeterMerkin69

Dec 2, 2012
Labels matter. It's how we compartmentalize and digest the world around us. It's how we share our perceptions of it with each other. Labels are also very useful to people with preferences. Most people have those, right? I know I do!

I was bored to tears by Journey. Call me a cad, but I need excitement to feel excited. I'm not the kind of person who forms bonds with random people or enjoys looking at all the pretty colors--I'm the asshole who trips balls on power by hoarding the barricades in Zombie Panic! Source then sealing everyone in the barn with the walking dead just before the escape vehicle arrives. Can't be helped. Or maybe it can and I just don't want that. Either way, if trying to find something new to entertain me, labels can help me make the purchase that best suits my taste. Is there sadism, or is there flowers? I'll take the one with the sadism, please. Hooray for labels!

Why does everything you play on a console have to be a video game? What's wrong with calling a piece of software like Journey or Proteus, or even Heavy Rain, something like interactive digital media? Or interactive narrative? Would that somehow diminish your enjoyment of it? Would that diminish the quality of it? I spent a large part of my formative years playing simulators on my PC and the fact that they weren't games had no bearing on my ability to enjoy them.

"But labels is hard! Sometimes concepts overlap, and the lines are fuzzy, and and and..." well, you've got a point there, sometimes we have to exchange hard work for precision, and sometimes the degree of precision we'd like isn't always accessible to us, but, well, I know I'd much rather put the time and effort into clearly defining than ever having to collect another scrap of scarf for the rest of my life.

P.S.: reclassifying Pluto was totes the right call. Mad props, science mans.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Rogue 09 said:
Orbital Snip
Okay, if you would like to consider every single rock circling around the sun a planet, including all of the asteroids in the asteroid belt and all the pluto-like ice balls out "near" where Pluto is, by all means, go for it. But don't act like they changed it for no reason.

Or you could hear the reasons, say "yeah that makes sense" and not be bothered when relatively tiny (>.>) things change.

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
PeterMerkin69 said:
Why does everything you play on a console have to be a video game? What's wrong with calling a piece of software like Journey or Proteus, or even Heavy Rain, something like interactive digital media? Or interactive narrative? Would that somehow diminish your enjoyment of it? Would that diminish the quality of it? I spent a large part of my formative years playing simulators on my PC and the fact that they weren't games had no bearing on my ability to enjoy them.

P.S.: reclassifying Pluto was totes the right call. Mad props, science mans.
HAHA! I really enjoyed this post.

Interactive digital media has been around in the academic art appreciation circles for some time now. For the most part they are simply referred to as "art installations". I find the term fitting when discussing some of the interactive medium being pawned off as games.

The trick here is something I noticed a while back was a sense of "massaging" of definitions of words such as "art", "game", "play"; so that various creative works could be slipped into the dialog and sold in the same venue as your more traditional game. Now that being said Heavy Rain was interesting but even in it's advertising it was billed as an interactive experience, not as a "game". In fact it's creative director is heavily influenced by the French realist art movement and has said that he see's his work as being an extension of that.

The last thing that guy talks about is "game mechanics".

Even if he does it is very much like a film director that utilizes "3d" in his film medium. As a gimmick to placate the shareholders. There are exceptions, for example Dredd 3D uses the 3D as a part of the narrative in it's communication.

Heavy Rain... is a tech demo sold at retail like a completed work.

For all it's glitz, Monkey Island is an infinitely better game.

Now when I think of a game, I think of a system designed with the intention of being played; that play facilitated by the tools that are available in the game. Many games use their game mechanics to help tell the story, such as a powerful boss, or a dexterous protagonist such as Faith in Mirror's Edge. What really sets the definition apart is the implication of a series of cause and effect, action and reaction within the bounded rationality of the game space.

Organizing that "controlled chaos" within a system is typically the problem for which player agency "plays" with, to solve problems.

This is what has been called the "game play" or in conversation... "how (does) the game play?"

Stuff like Proteus (for me) fails this, it is akin to walking around a golf course, with no stick and balls.

It has no balls.

Game mechanics in a game are as much a part of the game medium as the art or audio direction. Sim City has most of this game element of "reaction" under the hood, although nothing is going to take place without character agency both beginning the action and responding to the results of that action. To this end it's strength is in it's simulation characteristics.

Simulation characteristics have been the corner stone of game development. Some of the most well received and beloved pc games have certainly been from the same people who where designing simulations as well. To that end some of the most successful games in recent history all attempt to simulate aspects of the world with high fidelity. The suspension of disbelief is an art form in and of itself.

Words such as "immersive" are here to stay.

Day Z mod... sold over a million copies of Arma 2... and it wasn't because of it's narrative, but really, right down to the heart of it, it had killer game play with very harsh win and lose states built on a military simulation.

Sim City again, take a couple loans from the bank and build nothing... one will "lose" the game. It has states. They are just cleverly concealed.

Again this is where most of this procedural generated stuff tends to fail, while it utilizes a strong generation hierarchy that is fundamentally expressed within the work, like a fractal; there is little to no interaction with player agency.

It is the lack of player agency which breaks down any sense of drama within the mechanism itself. Sure it may be interesting to look at.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all, but I fail to see the game here. That is, what does the situation placed before me have to do with me? Proteus doesn't need me, it's perfectly content just chewing up resources and making my utility bill go up.

Where is the sense of urgency to click an icon? It's bait without a hook.

Strong games allow for a certain degree of creative problem solving by the player. A golf ball in an obscure location requires a creative swing. Screwing someone over in a game to get ahead, or simply choosing to wear a pink bunny outfit.

All of these decisions imply ramifications some more direct than others. In many of these "notgames" there is little to no ramification to the action of player agency. Many games that are "on rails" now, are also questionable as to their status as "games", at least games as in "game-theory" which implies "stake holders".

Exceptional games, such as chess with something like 10E100 plausible games, for all it's rigidity, offers a replay value within it's context that even the best QTE or on rails narrative simply will never deliver on. They are one shot experiences and giving credit where credit is due some of them are very interesting and quite enjoyable.

Many are simply not very interesting games. A whole slew of FPS make my point here.

Proteus is the lowest of all the hanging fruit, there is simply "NO" agency for the player. There is no problem to solve, no tools to solve it. It is interesting, but a game it isn't.

It is a park. It is the "possibility" of a golf course, but it is an incomplete thought. To make it into a game like a lot of this stuff would require much more effort then what is really contained within it.

Hell even Mass Effect used procedural terrain for the planets... and that is nothing particularly new.

Plenty of games randomize maps, thus it has been used as a tool for the facilitation of a game, not as the "game" in and of itself. Planetside 2 used it as well as part of it's lazy game development and it hurt the game play. Looking at Skyrim, make no mistake, that ***** was built from the ground up by a person for a person.

Dear Esther is another one. A couple short stories more or less on a theme, cut up, and fed randomly to the audience as the trip script triggers. Some voice acting and the talents of a DiCE level designer, presto... there really isn't much of a game here though. The creators didn't think so, in fact the original application for the grant to make it described it as a "narrative experiment". The fact that they have let the discussion rage on is more an anecdote to the purpose of it's design. To see if people would "pot hole" a coherent narrative out of snippets of information.

They did, and they still do.

It is interesting, and very "artful" in many respects, but it was NOT designed as a "game". It really wasn't designed to be much in the way of art as an expression. It is an art installation that plays with some interesting concepts and stretches metaphor more artifice than art. Very clever.

The game (to me) has always been the one that was being played by the developers on the audience, not really contained within the "context" or the "wrapper" of the product itself.

Much like how psychology of various schools, and the study of astrology are considered "pseudo science" so to are these products "pseudo games".

Now should these things be made? Sure why not, free country. Plenty of headroom in the general marketplace to sell all sorts of stuff on.

Just don't piss on my roof and tell me it's raining.

When the audience of a title finds themselves having to defend what they are interacting with, it probably isn't much of a game. Many of these things are really just toys, and in that Will Wright was way ahead of his time.

The Sims being one of the most successful games out there really amounts to what is a doll house with an extensive back end under the hood is as good as any "not game" out there, yet there it is complete with tremendous amounts of player agency and tools. I am pretty sure it has balls.

I think that the discerning eye sees that much of what has been called "video games" are hardly games at all. Trying to expand the definition like an inflated bubble economy has no where to go but "pop". I say let the thing pop, but then again if these kickstarters and little companies where looking for my dollars, they would of long since been out of business.

The beauty of most of these arguments is that they do tend to work from the "video games are not toys, video game creators are not toy makers, players of this stuff are not playing with toys" standpoint, and attempt to build a cohesive case from there. Finding ourselves stuck defending some personal ego rather than looking at what this stuff actually is.

The fact of the matter is, video games are toys, video game makers are toy makers, and most people that play with this stuff are kids or kids at heart.

There will always be a push from industry and production side to pawn off any ole' piece of crap as being something that it isn't. Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between aggressive laziness and a real attempt to try something different.

That is where the discussion is at. Finding the lowest possible minimum for some code to qualify as a product to be stamped out for the maximum amount of return.

Calling some of this stuff "games" is no more accurate than calling a McDonald's patty a "steak". There is a stark lack of intention to actually make a "game" never-the-less a "good game".

There is a big intention to make a "buck". Grey patty is more plentiful than prime rib. Just how it goes.

There is a big intention to be considered a "game developer", when in fact so few people have actually made a game. It's very "artsy" to look for credit and accolades where none is due. Very common in the industry as it is for better or for worse heavily leveraged in Art and liberal education centers.

Personally, the games and game play across the board have suffered as a consequence of it.

With no where for this stuff to go this conversation seems to come up every couple of months. Set my watch to it.

Still not a game.

:D

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Rogue 09 said:
Solar Snip
I did present evidence, in the form of a video from a generally enjoyable and informative series. If you watched it and still came away thinking they changed the definition for no reason then I don't know what to say.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Great article, Shamus. Although as some people pointed out you're just shifting the problem into another word. If I have nothing to do and starting dicking around with Virtual Basic, and then my mom girlfriend comes along and asks me what I'm doing and I reply 'Oh just playing around', this doesn't mean Virtual Basic is a game. (I get that in English adding a preposition to a verb changes its meaning, but I think my point remains valid.)

Rogue 09 said:
Not a fan of this first installment, but I'll play along.

I believe that you're looking at the entire argument from the wrong angle. Any word is used in order to communicate an idea, or an image. It's to facilitate understanding. The point is that it's a commonly understood thing that everyone can identify with.

The issue with Pluto is that a minority came along and told the world that it was in the wrong. That the majority who have used the term planet for Pluto were incorrect. So they renamed it a "Dwarf Planet", seemingly just to tick us off. We all knew that Pluto was small, but we used other terms to describe that element of it. We described it's mass, it's width, it's gravitational pull.

We have a separate word for Jupiter: "Gas Giant". That doesn't mean it stopped being a planet. It was like someone went into an art gallery, said you were looking at the Mona Lisa wrong, moved it 3 degrees to the right, and then said "Enjoy". Nothing at all has changed, you just messed with something because you have nothing better to do.

Now, for games, I believe you definitely need win loss scenarios for a game. Otherwise, you're just "playing". If we both have Legos and are building things, we're playing. If we're each trying to build the better Robot, it's a game. There are defines goals and ways to win or lose.

The game you described is a movable screensaver. Not a game. This is the general position of society, therefore it is the definition.
On the account of the word planet, while I'm a descriptivist, there are a few occasions where it's fine for a body to dictate the meaning of a word to the masses, and one such occasion is when new evidence shows that the previous definition was faulty to the point that it would hamper research (if Pluto is a planet, the solar system has at least twelve planets, and we might find more in the future). It wouldn't be a horrible end of all scientifical thought if poeple continue to refer to Pluto as a planet, but popular use being matched up with scientific use makes life better for scientists.

On the account of games, there is no such body (unless you're arguing for the people who study games, who never seem bothered by what the popular use of words they have specific meanings for are). So: Proteus is covered by gaming sites, it's reviewed by them, it's been created by a person who identifies himself as a game developer, it has been nominated for and won awards at video game based events, and is sold by Steam, a game distribution tool, in a section that's clearly labeled for games (and not the 'productivity software', i.e. non-game software, it also sells). How the hell is the general position of society that it's not a game?

PeterMerkin69

Dec 2, 2012
mfeff said:
No - no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea.

I like to pick on these popular examples of video games as art, but really, many "real games" aren't much better. I recently played through Uncharted 2 for the first time and I found myself wondering if I was playing it or watching it. Its primary concern seemed to be its dubious aspiration to blockbuster cinema, with its attention to combat and platforming trailing very far behind.

It took one attempt and one attempt only to solve the entire game: look for the nearest 3-dimensional, highlighted brick protruding from the nearby scenery, and then press X to proceed. Once you got that down, the world was yours. This is steps, plural, behind the games of yesteryear, games as simple as Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider, hell, Mario 64 had more moves to master than the entire Uncharted series combined. But, maybe I'm just blinded by cynicism. Maybe Naughty Dog simply streamlined the controls to increase accessibility. You know, so everybody could enjoy it. That sounds about right.

FPS? That's a terrible acronym--only one of those letters actually appear in 'hallway simulator.'

Another of my many mistakes of youth was mistaking myself for a mapper when I played Kingpin: Life of Crime. The very first thing I ever did in the QERadiant Editor was to make a simple rectangle in which to run around. There were no textures, no weapons, no enemies, nothing but a spawn point, a grey floor, four grey walls, and the ugliest graphical error you've ever seen for a ceiling. Would I call this a game? No, of course not--there was nothing to do but walk around and peer into the heart of monotony.

The more things change, the grey grey grey something grey.

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
The Random One said:
On the account of games, there is no such body (unless you're arguing for the people who study games, who never seem bothered by what the popular use of words they have specific meanings for are). So: Proteus is covered by gaming sites, it's reviewed by them, it's been created by a person who identifies himself as a game developer, it has been nominated for and won awards at video game based events, and is sold by Steam, a game distribution tool, in a section that's clearly labeled for games (and not the 'productivity software', i.e. non-game software, it also sells). How the hell is the general position of society that it's not a game?
But isn't that just it? There is no such body unless it is from a position of someone who studies games and or game theory.

Now your saying Proteus is covered by gaming sites, reviewed by them, created by someone calling themselves a "game developer", nominated and won awards at video game based events, sold by a primary distributor of entertainment software.

What I am seeing here is a position that is saying that (all that) is the body. Unfortunately that body lacks for much in the way of a peer review in the strictest empirical sense.

As I mentioned in a previous post, it is akin to trying to "disprove" the empirical reliance of the Zodiac... using the Zodiac. There is no mechanism within the "game community" at the production and distribution level (which review sites are clearly a part of) that is capable of making the argument as to the epistemological status of a particular creation.

There is certainly NO interest financially in doing so.

That is, one may not disprove astrology, using astrology; it is inherently a self fulfilling prophecy.

A product sold as entertainment, created by a self appointed game developer, reviewed by game sites; every aspect justifies a link in the chain. It's ontological status is circular.

All one then must do to become blessed by the church of vox populi then is to be reviewed by a site, win some awards few have ever heard of, and get sold on steam. Everyone wins.

Now I think the general position is that it is a "game" in the most colloquial sense of the word. Just like I have said about some products like this one (Dear Esther comes to mind) is that of art game emphasizing the stress on the art aspect. That is, as a pejorative.

The examination of the product is where the art installation, and it is that, is critically analysed for it's game mechanics. Rather than go off into a diatribe as to the "not game" status, in this sense I place the burden of proof onto the audience, the end user. To describe in detail, the game and it's mechanics.

Because of the "art" status, and certainly the ontological status of the product; there is going to be a certain amount of "belief" in what it is. Other than that it was blessed by fiscally interested parties, what is the evidence as to the "game" status of the art?

Is there anything about "it" that suggest that it "is" a game, other than "someone" or "group" of economically vested people said so?

What are it's merits on it's own terms?

Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of room for Jello, and there is room for stuff like this. This is, however, very debatable as a game. Certainly not one because someone "said" it was.

The planets argument in fact reduces what is a planet by more precise criterion, and does nothing for expanding this discussion. In many respects, it's just the opposite.

I am VERY comfortable calling this product an art installation.

I am VERY uncomfortable calling this product a game.

Simply the description of the work, how and why it does what it does is better facilitated using nomenclature from an academic art standpoint.

I would have a very difficult time describing this work in terms of game theory. If one notices the reviews they are more or less from a "reaction" point of view. This is very common when describing art as to how it makes one feel. I typically would not go about describing "chess" or any other strong or loose formal game system as to how it strikes me at an emotional level.

Art communicates visually, in this instance aurally.

Games communicate mechanically and through systems.

Whatever is being "said" is "what it is". In Proteus, systems are practically nonexistent. There is nothing to say, because there is nothing there, there is nothing there, because it is not a game. It's an art installation.

Wade Knapik

Feb 7, 2011
It seems like defining a "game" is like defining porn, or music: It's different for each individual. If calling Minecraft a game makes you happy, then it's a game. If calling it digital Legos is good enough for you, then it's digital legos.

As for Proteus, I would consider it a game. There is an ending that can only be brought about by player interaction with the world. It's not a complicated interaction, but the experience will just continue indefinetely unless certain requirements are met. That may not be enough for you, and I'm Ok with that. It's still a game to me. As is Minecraft. And SimCity.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
[quote="Rogue 09" post="6.401090.16511933"
The issue with Pluto is that a minority came along and told the world that it was in the wrong. That the majority who have used the term planet for Pluto were incorrect. So they renamed it a "Dwarf Planet", seemingly just to tick us off. We all knew that Pluto was small, but we used other terms to describe that element of it. We described it's mass, it's width, it's gravitational pull.[/quote]

That's just completely eroneous. The majority meaning people using scientific terms who were then annoyed when science turned out to say something different. If Pluto is a planetary body, then there are many more. And I'm sure we'd hear incessant whining from the uneducated ankle biters about having to learn those names and "I remember when there were only 9 planets." If they want to use the word colloquially and include Pluto, there's nothing wrong with that. They're wrong, but that's their problem.

It was not a "Minority" that "Came along". It was the scientific community clarifying a definition of a word from the scientific vernacular, in light of new information. If you don't understand that science adjusts over time as we learn more, you should refrain from making any comment on science and scientists.

OT: Great to have another post by Shamus. Clearly, he lied about not being able to grow a beard, looks good.