Whats next for Bioshock?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I'd prefer to see it run dry. The series strikes me as a transitional shooter: one that can't decide if it wants to chase modern trends, or hearken back to the olden days of the mayhem shooter. So it's stuck somewhere in the middle, and made for a bland experience that left me rather annoyed. Though I guess as a plus Infinite has topped Grand Theft Auto for most cops killed in a video game playthrough.

But since the big boys of the industry will only be making franchise titles now, there will most definitely be another one or three.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
Well, I feel "Infinite" really called out the Bioshock formula with it's

"The man, the city and the lighthouse"

line towards the end of the game. I feel that they've already sort of nodded towards them having done everything that could be done. I would expect something different from them given that, frankly.

blank0000

Oct 3, 2007
[/quote]
Reynaert said:
Maybe they shouldn't make another Bioshock game and leave it at this. They can however make a new start of sorts if they make a new '-shock' game. They wouldn't have to carry the burden of the lore from previous iterations but can make a new game in this genre and have the name recognition. Maybe we can see 'Techshock' or 'Spaceshock' in stores in the near future.
I'd say take a look at SystemShock, since I think that's what you are implying.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Pink Gregory said:
If Bioshock doesn't continue, I'd be happier; and that's coming from someone who loves all of them.

It's reached it's logical conclusion with Infinite; I find it hard to believe that Irrational wouldn't have another IP in them.
Same sentiment here.
I absolutely adored Bioshock, thought Bioshock 2 was a little meh, and bought the Ultimate Songbird Edition of Bioshock Infinite (a decision I absolutely do not regret).
And I really don't see how they would continue, nor do I want them to try.
But whatever Irrational does next, be it Bioshock or no, I'm on board.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
They can go 3 places that I can think of: The moon, underground, or one of the ice caps. They already have the formula, so why not make another? Sure, they should take a few years break, but I'd just love a giant open-world moon base to explore, especially if they include the fun lunar gravity to play with.

Pinkscare

Wearin' Steam Badges
Jul 19, 2013
uchytjes said:
They can go 3 places that I can think of: The moon, underground, or one of the ice caps. They already have the formula, so why not make another? Sure, they should take a few years break, but I'd just love a giant open-world moon base to explore, especially if they include the fun lunar gravity to play with.
The moon would be ridiculous, but the latter would be neat.

ke7eha

Jan 8, 2008
Reynaert said:
Maybe they shouldn't make another Bioshock game and leave it at this. They can however make a new start of sorts if they make a new '-shock' game. They wouldn't have to carry the burden of the lore from previous iterations but can make a new game in this genre and have the name recognition. Maybe we can see 'Techshock' or 'Spaceshock' in stores in the near future.
I think you're thinking of 'System Shock'.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Shocksplicer said:
No need to get stroppy, just saying that, as far as Infinite is concerned, 2 never happened.
It's all good, I didn't mean to sound snappy but tone doesn't carry very well into text. :p

All my point has been was that the stories are very similar and, as I mentioned, Elizabeth basically tells you that every story afterwards will be very similar as well. All in all I think it's time for Bioshock to be put to a rest before it overstays its welcome.
All good. I agree that they should move on to new jdeas and genres, something completely different from the Shock games.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Pinkscare said:
uchytjes said:
The moon would be ridiculous, but the latter would be neat.
The ice caps? Yeah. I doubt many people would actually see it coming. The moon, while fun, would be too obvious, but the ice caps would provide some interesting things. Hell, it'd have the crazy leader's plan right there: melt the ice caps or create the next Ice age.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Man wouldn't it be cool if they set it in space!?
Like on a space station or ship, and you were trapped there all alone fighting of space crazies or twisted cyborg freaks or something.
You could even throw in a crazypants A.I. in classic 2001 fashion.

I don't think that's ever been done before.

TheLion

Apr 18, 2012
Zeh Don said:
Well, I feel "Infinite" really called out the Bioshock formula with it's

"The man, the city and the lighthouse"

line towards the end of the game. I feel that they've already sort of nodded towards them having done everything that could be done. I would expect something different from them given that, frankly.
It's more a motif than a formula. The formula of Bioshock is the deconstruction of contemporary politics and sci-fi. In Bioshock 1 it's the deconstruction of resurgent Objectivism and stem cell research. In Bioshock Infinite it's the deconstruction of the Gilded Past and the Far Right and Far Left (although they practically deconstruct themselves) and quantum physics, with a hint of string theory. That being said, I really can't say Bioshock has anything in the near future, because Infinite so perfectly captures our times (in America anyway). When the times change, maybe there'll be another man, in another city, and another lighthouse.

EDIT:

As far as a city built in an exotic local, how 'bout a semi-subterranean hanging city, a la the the Western Air Temple [http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Western_Air_Temple]

ghostrider409895

Mar 7, 2010
If we are thinking about continuing the Bioshock idea about having a failed utopia in an incredible location, then I figure there is always room up in space. This was actually a choose your own adventure game on this website, but they had an idea of having a Russian based society up on the moon. If you consider that we had libertarian and capitalist type worlds, there could be an exploration on communism.

However, I think that the Bioshock team can keep making games without it sticking strictly to the brand. I like the two Bioshock games, but Naughty Dog had success making multiple games without sticking strictly to a franchise. I see no reason why the team responsible for Bioshock couldn't make future games with similar art styles, or a similar theme of exploration of an ideal or a world that has nothing that would actually connect it to Bioshock.

Callie

Aug 22, 2012
I personally think that the Bioshock series should just end on a high. Too many games overstep their 'whats acceptable' areas. e.g. Assassins Creed, Final Fantasy, Timesplitters, Fable, Pokémon/Mario games are getting there...

Guy from the 80's

Mar 7, 2012
uchytjes said:
They can go 3 places that I can think of: The moon,

but I'd just love a giant open-world moon base to explore, especially if they include the fun lunar gravity to play with.
Thats a great idea! Some rich evil guy (as always) ala Hugo Drax who wantas to get away from a degenerating humanity and big government :)

But please........lets us have moral choices. Let us have an impact on the storyline.

BurningWyvern90

May 21, 2013
Does there need to be a next?

I mean, I love both the original Bioshock as well as Infinite, but if they try to wring any more out of it I won't. They don't need another one.

VodkaKnight

Jul 12, 2013
Actually, I hope there isn't another Bioshock.
I mean, there's only so much you can do with something until it becomes boring.
All I hope is that we take something new with the next 'shock' game.