What's next for the Warhammer 40K games now that THQ is over and SEGA owns Relic?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
No no no my friend, you do not touch Warhammer without Games Workshop waving the mighty ban hammer over your head, Relic will do squat with it unless Sega begs for more games in that universe.

And I highly doubt they will because Japan doesn't give a shit about PC gaming, ergo forget RTS and anything like it, it is highly questionable if even CoH2 will make it out the door even if it was half way done.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
I'm guessing 40k will go back to Relic since Sega (read: CA) got the Fantasy license. 40k just wouldn't really work with the style of game CA is best at. Controlling whole units of 200 hundred men marching in lines would go poorly with the kind of combat we have today, let alone what we see in 40k. What seems more likely is something closer to Sins of a Solar Empire x StarCraft. Invading a planet? Move your ships and troops like we have in Sins, then invade and play a quick base building RTS with the ability to call down massive strikes from your orbital fleet.

CoH might be a better example than SC, but I haven't gotten around to playing that one yet.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
There can only be

CHAOS

I reckon 40k will do just fine as long as Sega doesn't try getting too much of their failure fingerprints all over the franchise in terms of direct input.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Mr.K. said:
And I highly doubt they will because Japan doesn't give a shit about PC gaming, ergo forget RTS and anything like it, it is highly questionable if even CoH2 will make it out the door even if it was half way done.
You do realize that Sega is also the publisher of the celebrated and very much PC exclusive Total War franchise right?

OT: I have no idea at this point and as others have said, its entirely possible that Relic may not have the rights to make a 40K game at the moment, but GW would be insane to not let someone use that license, as the 40K universe has just about unlimited potential for games and Relic has already proven that they know what they are doing. Likewise Sega would be insane to go to the trouble of acquiring Relic and then not use them for something WH related, or at the very least RTS related.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I can see the future I must say, a dark and grim future for the new Warhammer videogames released by Sega:

After we see the heresy of crossover with Warhammer and Ponies, it is time for Sonic universe come to play.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
SweetShark said:
I can see the future I must say, a dark and grim future for the new Warhammer videogames released by Sega:

After we see the heresy of crossover with Warhammer and Ponies, it is time for Sonic universe come to play.
FUCK YOU DIRTY CHAOS NINJA SCUM!!! I was about to post bad crossover art!

[/spoiler]

Well now that my thunder has been stolen... I hope that there are more Space Marine like games with the other races, as has been mentioned above. Some new RTS games and actually getting a working MMO would be nice too.

Edit- I meant no offense. Just joking. And apparently I misspelled fuck. Stupid phone.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Revnak said:
A Crossover with Shinobi and Chaos Faction from Warhammer don't sound bad either I must say.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
The first thought into my head was Total War: 40K, as I'm sure it was for a lot of people when SEGA bought Relic, but in all honesty I don't think it's likely. I suspect they'll acquire the license and just have Relic carry on with Dawn of War 3, and it will look and feel very much like Dawn of War 2 did.

I tell you I am HYPED for this Total War: Warhammer Fantasy game we're getting though. So frickin' hyped.
I dunno, I can see it happening, I'm not a big fan of them(bit TOO realistic for an RTS for me), but I reckon I might play it if it was 40k themed. Like after DoW 3 or something, either way, it'd be great for the Total War fans.

Mr.K. said:
No no no my friend, you do not touch Warhammer without Games Workshop waving the mighty ban hammer over your head, Relic will do squat with it unless Sega begs for more games in that universe.

Total War franchise ring any bells?

They're hardly going to buy Relic, a company who exclusively make RTS on the PC, best known for Homeworld, Warhammer and Company of Heroes, if they don't plan on using that are they? /That/ would be good accumen. C'mon man, use your common sense.

I mean GW are unlikely to say no to Relic making more games in that universe, as they were all smash hits, and they know the fans want them, making them tons of money and as a side grade generates interest in their own products, making more money.

Aug 31, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
The first thought into my head was Total War: 40K, as I'm sure it was for a lot of people when SEGA bought Relic, but in all honesty I don't think it's likely. I suspect they'll acquire the license and just have Relic carry on with Dawn of War 3, and it will look and feel very much like Dawn of War 2 did.

I tell you I am HYPED for this Total War: Warhammer Fantasy game we're getting though. So frickin' hyped.
I think you mean Total War:Hammer! :D ... I'll get my coat...

That is actually confirmed as happening is it? Awesome.

I'd really like to see Final Liberation updated

An IG based FPS as the dude a few posts above me suggested would be great.

Maybe a 3rd person RPG based on Dark Heresy, although it's been a long time since I've played a 3rd person RPG that I've liked.

I don't really care about Space Marine, the demo bored me and I doubt the full game would have been any different.

Stampede said:
Check out their work here http://www.dow2elite.com/ if you want more info. Relic should give these guys a job for the quality of the mod alone.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
SweetShark said:
Revnak said:
A Crossover with Shinobi and Chaos Faction from Warhammer don't sound bad either I must say.
And now you're beating me to jokes I didn't even know I already made! HAVE YOU NO SHAME!?!?

And yeah, that could be fun I guess, but it would probably work better with one of the Eldar races. Having the enemies be more like tanks than human beings is a good way to enforce stealth on the player. Become visible, die to a chainsaw wielding Hercules (and I know that the proper term is chain sword, but I feel chain saw paints a better picture). This is assuming the Shinobi games are stealth games. I actually have no clue.

Miles Maldonado

Oct 11, 2011
Well, I guess the Artifical Valkyrur of Valkyria Chronicles can start being actual Space Marines now, instead of Space Martesla Troopers

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Revnak said:
SweetShark said:
Revnak said:
And now you're beating me to jokes I didn't even know I already made! HAVE YOU NO SHAME!?!?

And yeah, that could be fun I guess, but it would probably work better with one of the Eldar races. Having the enemies be more like tanks than human beings is a good way to enforce stealth on the player. Become visible, die to a chainsaw wielding Hercules (and I know that the proper term is chain sword, but I feel chain saw paints a better picture). This is assuming the Shinobi games are stealth games. I actually have no clue.
I am a giant fat shark with yellow tattous for yees, drooling rainbow candy from my mouth by eating toasted ponies for breakfast.
OF COURSE I don't have shame!!!!

For me, I like the idea of Shinobi being indeed an Eldar or even a Space marine [don't forget they have assasins] and go to a mission to kill the Nurgle Sonic Prince before he infest others and become demonic humanoid cartoonish furries ready to serve him..........

Man, I need a drink.

Therarchos

Mar 20, 2011
I am surprised that no one posted this link yet.

http://www.sega.com/news/?n=5747

"Warhammer: total war" Hell yeah

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
wombat_of_war said:
i dont think that a warhammer 40k total war would work that well. it works much better with strict formations, melee and muskets. the system doesnt work so well with city fighting, and i doubt tanks and energy weapons, etc would work very well
It's Warhammer fantasy that's getting the Total War treatment not Warhammer 40k.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Tiger Sora said:
Don't lie to yourselves everyone. We all know Matt Ward will ruin everything once again. Thus again we shall cling to our holdings in fear or denial. Than we'll go on rants denying him drawing pictures of us sacrificing him to 2 of the 4 chaos gods. (No Tez, things are bad enough. Nurgle would just love him).

Now we need a mech game where you pilot the various factions titans of the universe on swaths of destruction.
A Space Battle game. Command a ship (Maybe do it like Silent Hunter series, but in space). Or something in space anyways.
As someone mentioned an Ork game. It would be a Waaaaagggggggg of a good time.

A sandbox Imperial Guard game. It would be extremely hard to do, but, yeh. Well maybe not.

The Inquisition!!! Ohh the things we could do with that!

Galaxy wide strategy/resource control game of the Imperium. Mayhaps multiplayer due to the size or online (Probably be like EVE anyways) Still it would be cool.
Actually have the choice of the different big factions. Could turn out very cool as an MMO pitting all these forces against one another.

So many more ideas.
You have just stolen all of my ideas from my very head. Why would you do this??

But yes, I whole heartedly agree with all of this. I would love to see a large scale resource management/planetary invasion/space battle game, this is what Dawn of War should have been from the start. A titan game would be awesome too, as would a Gaunts Ghosts stealth game, or a Mass ffect style Inquisition game or a... god damnit GW/Relic/Sega, make some of these games for the love of Chaos!

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
wombat_of_war said:
i dont think that a warhammer 40k total war would work that well. it works much better with strict formations, melee and muskets. the system doesnt work so well with city fighting, and i doubt tanks and energy weapons, etc would work very well
It's Warhammer fantasy that's getting the Total War treatment not Warhammer 40k.
And it will rock. Probably.
The essential gameplay mechanics are already there in the total war games.

OT: As for the 41k variant, all that will change is it will say SEGA during the opening.

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
I think this might turn out well if Sega hands it over to The Creative Assembly, for Dawn of War at least.