What's so great about the Companion Cube?

Magical Hans

Dec 10, 2008
Scythos said:
Its just another thing to probvide e-lulz like the cake is a lie...so it's been overdone to the max just like everything mildly amusing.

*edit* You do realise you don't euthanise it right ? When you 'burn' it all you really do is send it back to the start for the next test subject. If you look up when you first get it you'll see a very familiar orange glow ;D
So its a dirty like cube whore then? lol

I thought the companion cube was something cool and quirky in the game

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
dude... its a cube... with HEARTS on it... a CUBE WITH HEARTS... I mean, whats not to love??

twistedshadows

Apr 26, 2009
madbird-valiant said:
But.. it's.. the companion cube! How can you not love the Companion Cube!?

Also, this was a triumph!
Exactly. It was your faithful companion, how can you not love it?
All it did was love you, and you killed it. Bastard.

But seriously, it's just another humorous aspect of the game.
You're not supposed to take it to heart.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
The Companion Cube was the only person to come to my party at the end of the game. My only true friend.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
crudus said:
It's the emphasis that was put on it. If you play with the commentary one you learn that the developers wanted you to keep a box through that level but if it was a normal weighted storage cube people would just use it to climb stairs and be done with it. So they started putting emphasis on the cube so players wouldn't let it leave their side. So the developers decided to make it comical while putting that emphasis on it. At the end of the level it teaches you about the AI incinerator which is how you beat GladOs.
Beat me to it.

The cube is the closest thing you have to an ally in Portal despite it not moving or speaking or doing anything. I think the fact it has a Heart on it is just funny, and besides GladOs and the Turrets the rest of portal is simply devoid of any character in the isolation you attach yourself to anything. Plus at the end of the game the menu background is some cake and the Companion cube.

LOVE THE CUBE

Vibgyor

Mar 7, 2009
The companion cube is my one and only true love.

Seriously 10[don't worry if you don't get it]

[http://heresy-online.net/daemons/adoptables/5782-loe.htm]

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
I was laughing maniacally after a brief moment of hesitation when I had euthanized it. Yes, I'm a heartless bastard. GLaDOS' comments in the final fight is just icing on the cake (damn, sorry for the horrible pun. Not intended, BTW).

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Valiance said:
Alright, I just finished Portal after starting at about 2 am, and I seriously don't understand what was so special about the Companion Cube.

This may come as a surprise, as I did find it comical and it was kinda fun to have to take it around with me throughout the test chamber, but I USED IT ONE TEST CHAMBER.

That's right - one. The weighted storage cubes got used in about 18, and we don't care about those?

People made it sound like a traumatic/dramatic experience. I could understand if I started the game with it and had to do each level with it; I could understand if it was more helpful than any of the other cubes... Hell, I don't think I even ever shut down a turret with that cube!

But it's effectively the same thing except with a heart logo on the side.

So, since this forum is generally populated by people who love their Companion Cubes, please explain your love for this inanimate object. Why was it special to you?

Or if you don't care for it, let me know, because I feel like I'm really missing something here, and not understanding the "cool hip awesome" thing about it.

Also, I thought about adding a poll, but it'd be very one-sided.
It was the only thing that was nie to you in that whole lab
it was always there for you
and it was like a angel that always helped

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
you should wait to euthanize your companion cube. GlaDOs says some really funny things.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Kukul said:
It was somewhat funny because in one of the hidden rooms there were scribblings on the wall saying that the previous test particpant fell in love with the Companion Cube.

But it's not anymore
This. One day people will use it so much it will go beyond tiresome and go full cicle back to being funny and original again.

4fromK

Apr 15, 2009
uh.
the bunch of retards that are portal fanboys make me wish that i didnt really love portal. people who spout "TEH CAKE IS A LIE LOL" and shit like that are like people who quote monty python incessently. as in YOUR KILLING IT OH GOD PLEASE STOP

benwaddell

May 27, 2009
I think its all due to the fact it's so useless :p you only use it for one test chamber, and its just a normal cube, but the way GLADoS goes on about it, it makes it seem different XD

Apr 17, 2009
It's that heart logo on the side. It makes all the difference.
Look at the Care Bears. Given that they are, as the name suggests, bears, they should have no hesitation in killing a human being in a variety of ways. But they've got quasi-meaningful symbols on them, so they must be friendly!

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
TheGreenManalishi said:
I euthanised my companion cube in the fastest recorded time, GLADoS told me so.
GLADoS lied to you because she told me the same thing >_>...

LockandKey

Feb 22, 2009
Easy because none of my friends have ever promised not to stab me and guess what the cube did

llewgriff

Feb 12, 2009
I was happy to incinerate it to advance on to the next stage and I wasn't too bothered about that bloody cake either. If anything we should worship GladOs and her awsome singing skills. It was a triumph and I am making a note here 'huge success'.