What's the best school related book you have read

Ziggy

Jul 13, 2010
Mine is "Skammerens Datter"(The Shamer's Daughter). I read it in fourth or fifth grade, and it's properly the only fantasy book i have read is school.
It's about Dina who has unwillingly inherited her mother's gift: the ability to elicit shamed confessions simply by looking into someone's eyes.

CAPTCHA: van surfing

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Holes, I had to read it in English, and watch the film, and I really enjoyed it.

You got to dig those holes..

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
Virgil's Aeneid was pretty fucking amazing.
Read it in Classical Civilization class and loved it. Heh, was definitely one of the reasons I'll be studying Classics at Uni:].

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Probably A Wrinkle in Time. Not because it was the best book ever or anything, but because my favorite aunt had given me her copy from when she was little when I had stayed with her for the summer a few years before. She had shared her favorite childhood book with me, and I adored it as well. So I was pleasantly surprised to find it on the class reading list a few years later.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
There were only three books in school that I had to read that I thought were just awesome.

Macbeth

A Midsummer Night's Dream

The other books I had to read were either not that great or interesting enough for me to read and not want to kill myself.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Probably Animal Farm, or the GCSE poetry anthology. Our English Literature teacher had to emigrate from Burma as a child and had the ability to motivate everyone and turn the discussion into a lot more than the book, but general ethics and politics too. It was more of a relaxed seminar atmosphere than a classroom full of 15 year olds.

Haukur Isleifsson

Jun 2, 2010
"How to think about weird things: Critical Thinking for a New Age". The best book on critical thinking I have read. A great example of teaching people How to think not What to think.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
Probably A Wrinkle in Time. Not because it was the best book ever or anything, but because my favorite aunt had given me her copy from when she was little when I had stayed with her for the summer a few years before. She had shared her favorite childhood book with me, and I adored it as well. So I was pleasantly surprised to find it on the class reading list a few years later.
Everybody loves Mrs. Who.

I would add The Bridge to Terabithia, and Peyton Place.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Lord of the flys.

really good book. And a good film as well, although most of the class hated the film mind.

konor77

Aug 26, 2009
It's kind of a cheesy answer but i loved reading hamlet and i read a biography of Nicola Tesla for history which i very much enjoyed.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Probably some Shakespeare, but maybe only by process of elimination, because the only other school related book I've have to properly read was Descartes' Meditations. Shakespeare's language is easier to understand (and he's Shakespeare), but then again, I could put that down to translating issues with Descartes. But I still think he was getting baked in that oven of his.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Dags90 said:
I would add The Bridge to Terabithia.
That's read at school?! Either I'm getting old or fantasy's suddenly permitted for high school English all of a sudden... o_O'

OT: Uh... depends on the subject.

Didn't really like anything I read for English lit...
Maths, Bostock & Chandler's Pure Mathematics was pretty interesting (though looking back on it I wonder what the challenge was).
Biology, What Mad Pursuit by Francis Crick...

S'bout it... (the history texts we had were plain shite...)

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
Catch 22. A dark and hilarious war satire that is one of the best books I have read.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
All Quiet on the Western Front comes to mind, i really liked it. Most of the stuff i had to read for school wasn`t very interesting, but i remember this one was really captivating.