What's the best school related book you have read

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
To Kill a Mockingbird. Easily the best book I've ever read, and the reason I'm studying to be a lawyer (thanks Atticus!).

Karfroogle

Aug 22, 2012
I really enjoyed The Divine Comedy and The Giver.

Actually, being an avid reader, I enjoyed a lot of them.

chaosbedlam

Apr 15, 2009
Brave New World, I had to read it for 5th form English. absolutely astounding book IMO.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Evil Smurf said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
There were only three books in school that I had to read that I thought were just awesome.

Macbeth

A Midsummer Night's Dream

The other books I had to read were either not that great or interesting enough for me to read and not want to kill myself.
A brave new world would have been nice to read, it is so depressing!
Thankfully, I've never read that, but I have friends that have and have told me I'm not missing much.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Sean Hollyman said:
Holes, I had to read it in English, and watch the film, and I really enjoyed it.

You got to dig those holes..
So did I, actually.

After that, it was probably Of Mice and Men.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
My 3rd grade teacher read the Harry Potter book to us, if that counts. That's how I got into the series really.

Favorite book I've read in an academic setting really has to be either Great Expectations, The Things they Carried, or maybe Beowulf.

wottabout

May 4, 2011
As much as I have loved some assigned classics, my favorite book for a class was definitely Small Gods by Terry Pratchett. I was already a Pratchett fan, so this was an awesome assignment. We also read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. Best class ever.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Brave New World, which is actually my favourite book because of that class. We had a brilliant teacher, and we got into some serious deconstruction of the novel and themes.

Other than that, I thought The Iliad was fucking awesome.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Holes, I had to read it in English, and watch the film, and I really enjoyed it.

You got to dig those holes..
You! No! Why would you do that?!?!!? I spent years getting that song out of my head and you had to remind me of it! Nuuuuuuuuuu! D:

On topic, I read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in ninth grade and I liked it quite a lot.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Nantucket said:
SirBryghtside said:
Nantucket said:
The Magic Key!

Biff, Chip and Floppy were what defined reading in schools! They were the first books you read, they were the books that taught you to read and they were awesome.

You started on green, then went to yellow, red, blue... I think haha. It has been a long time.

They got more difficult with each colour.

*Image snip*
:O

NOSTALGIA OVERLOAD. I was going to be all cliché and say 1984, but this. Frakking THIS.
I have to ask... do you remember this?

The video does not seem to be working so... : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Gq17O-HRc
You copy pasted the code a bit wrong. And I just nostalgia'd all over the floor because I do remember that, so I suppose I have to reciprocate:

So much nostalgia! Through The Dragon's Eye was badass.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Oh, easy.
I remember that for 7th grade English, we got to read Animal Farm.
On one hand, I appreciated that my literature teacher would give us such a good book (she was a really cool lady), but on her part, I don't see how she expected a bunch of 7th graders to truly appreciate Orwell's style. So, therefore, I was one of the few kids in the class who actually liked it.

Now I'm in High School, and we're going to be reading it again this year (under a new teacher, but he's every bit as cool). I have the horrible feeling that I'm going to be, once again, one of the only people who enjoy it.

I'll probably appreciate it even more this time, having read Orwell's other wonderful novel (1984)

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Nathan der Weise - Lessing

Jakob von Gunten - Robert Walser

Das Leben des Galilei - Berthold Brecht

Jep, i'm living in Switzerland so we gotta read the classic german literature.
The list of books you can chose from is huge.

We also have a gigantic list for our foreign languages. I read "Cather in the Rye", "Death of a Salesman", "The Awakening" and the best of all of them "Picture of Dorian Gray"

I prefere the thematics/topics of the german books though

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
MortisLegio said:
V for Vendetta. Sophomore year was awesome.
Wait, wait: Were you assigned this, or did you get to pick a book to read? My teacher let me read V For Vendetta a an independent book, but it wasn't a class book.

OT: I really enjoyed The Great Gatsby. I also seem to be alone on this, because literally every other person I've talked to who has read the book hated it.

Rawberry101

Jan 14, 2012
The ones I always point out are The Odyssey, The Call of the Wild, The Tempest, and Crime and Punishment.

Some real good stuff there.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I'm pretty sure it was Jade Green. By Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, I think.

But yeah, it's really the only one I remember that kept my attention.

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
Wow, outside of the Shakespeare of which I have also read most of what was mentioned I'm very jealous of whatever school systems those posting in this thread attended. I think the best book I was required to read in school (this goes through college by the way) was Ender's Game. Not that it's a bad book but rather because the distance between it and the next best book is as wide as the Grand Canyon.

Slightly (though hopefully not very) controversial thought but how much sense do you guys think it makes to have a high school English curriculum that is almost entirely centered around 20th century black literature in a school of ~1800 hundred students, fewer than 50 of which are black and among those black students there are most African immigrants than African Americans? I ask because that was my high school experience and in case you can't guess I am not black.
That's....odd. I have just finished reading Ender's Game yesterday and have just finished writing up an essay on it and I just happen to have it on my lap.

*pulls the hammer back on the gun*
Quickly, are you some kind of Nazi spy? Are you piloting that mosquito flying around me? Hurry up, I want answers!

AwesomeWunderbar

Jul 31, 2012
"The boy in the striped pajamas"

A beautifully written piece of literature about two young boys during the Holocaust. It's an amazing book and if you haven't read it I suggest you do.