What's the big deal about PC games?

Eldan

Jun 22, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
Eldan said:
If you ever have money problems in an Elder Scrolls game, you are doing something wrong. There's tons of loot everywhere.
The weight to sale value to non-skill boosting books makes them worthless as loot anyway.
Not necessarily. Some of the better books have ratios like 50/3, that's not bad.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Eldan said:
Not necessarily. Some of the better books have ratios like 50/3, that's not bad.
Not only is that not bad, it's actually significantly better than most weapons/armour in the game. Especially if you're stealing, to get your gold fenced amount up. The best way to do this has ALWAYS been to rob the mage's guild. Read every book front to back.

Eldan

Jun 22, 2008
Chibz said:
Eldan said:
Not only is that not bad, it's actually significantly better than most weapons/armour in the game. Especially if you're stealing, to get your gold fenced amount up. The best way to do this has ALWAYS been to rob the mage's guild. Read every book front to back.
True. However, as far as I know, none of the Daggerfall books are that expensive.
Let's see a few more popular mods that aren't cheating...
Fallout 3's current top six are:
-Mod Manager. Makes applying mods easier.
-Type 3 body. Immature, sure, but doesn't make you stronger.
-Marten's Mutant Mod. Gives more variety to creatures, makes them come in groups. Not helping otherwise.
-Fellout. Removes the ugly green tint everything has.
-Weapon Mod kits. The first improvement on the list.
-More where that came from: adds 80 new songs

isnosche

Oct 4, 2010
Eyefinity
mouse & keyboard. !!!!!!!!!!!!
Better graphix.
Oh did i mention Eyefinity ><

I have all 3 consoles and they just sit there really.
The ps3 gets some use as blueray player
I'm my house pc is king, kinda always been that way
quake < unreal tournament < diablo 2 - quake3 < counterstrike < wow

They have taken time away from the consoles i've owned :p

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Chibz said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Interesting 'logic', again. How does additional content make things 'easier'? By that same logic DLC and expansions are 'cheating' as well.

They offend your 'vanilla game experience only' Puritanism?
1. Additional content makes things easier usually by providing unintended (often unbalanced) access to new powers/gear/money. Or even easier access to EXP. In fallout 3 (for example) a set of side-quests is the equivalent of me running my D&D character in another person's campaign and gaining gear/exp/etc for use in the main campaign.
Errr... Fallout 3 is full of side-quests anyway. In fact, that's what many people consider to be a main strength of Bethesda's style of open world RPG - you can bugger off from the main campaign and pissfart about with dozens of totally unrelated sidequests for shits, giggles, XP and loot (and let's not forget most of the powerful items in the game are side-quest loot). In vanilla Fallout 3 it's possible to hit level 20 (being the max level in the vanilla version) without touching the main campaign once you leave the Vault.

2. It's more that I hate everything that graphics whores stand for. Visuals over gameplay. I still say that 8bit is enough.
Uh huh... and you're assuming that it's about visuals over gameplay rather than just making something you already enjoy playing look, subjectively, just a bit more appealing. Sprucing up the look of a bad game isn't going to suddenly make it 'better' for most people anymore than putting whipped cream on a turd would make it more appetising.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Eldan said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Eldan said:
If you ever have money problems in an Elder Scrolls game, you are doing something wrong. There's tons of loot everywhere.
The weight to sale value to non-skill boosting books makes them worthless as loot anyway.
Well fuck, I was obviously stealing the wrong books in Morrowind... then again after I started playing with the dirtbike mod 'more loot' became far less important to me than finding 'better jumps'.

I also found out in Oblivion that it's possible to kill people by landing your horse on them from the top of a 2 story house... I got on top of the house by jumping off a small cliff.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Eldan said:
Chibz said:
Eldan said:
snip
RhombusHatesYou said:
Eldan said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Eldan said:
snip
Guys... if you haven't figured it out already, you're getting trolled pretty hard.

OT: I like both. I have PS3 and a high end PC. I love doing basically anything on PC. It's extremely versatile of course. But when it comes to games, I love that they usually look better, have more customization, I can choose what sort of controls to use (mouse/keyboard, gamepad, forcefeedback wheel, joystick if I had one, etc). You can run multimonitor displays if you want (although GT5 on PS3 is now able to do that... with 1 PS3 per TV...). And of course, mods! I love mods. I love graphical mods. I love mods that fix bugs. I love mods that add quests or more/diverse items to find. In STALKER I loved mods that made the game harder. In FO3 I loved mods that made the females sexy (for lulz). Mods even can fix some stupid console ports. It's amazing.

But I like my PS3 too... until it decided to stop playing blurays. WTF!

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Wolfram01 said:
Guys... if you haven't figured it out already, you're getting trolled pretty hard.
You're right! Because clearly a different opinion, a different way of analyzing the facts & evidence is TROLLING!

Evilpigeon

Feb 24, 2011
Chibz said:
Wolfram01 said:
You're right! Because clearly a different opinion, a different way of analyzing the facts & evidence is TROLLING!
It's trolling when you're trying to argue that adding to the variety of songs in fallout 3 is cheating.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Evilpigeon said:
It's trolling when you're trying to argue that adding to the variety of songs in fallout 3 is cheating.
I never said that precisely. Go back and read the thread, I'll be busy... either making pizza or laughing. Probably pizza.

Cronq

Oct 11, 2010
Does everyone on Escapist read/post on this forum with their consoles or smartphones?

All my co-workers who are console players also have a $1400 not-worth-shit-for-gaming Mac. My Laptop costs about the same but has the free added bonus that it can play games. Also, would about the cost of the 50" LCD you have to hook your consoles up to?

Evilpigeon

Feb 24, 2011
Chibz said:
I never said that precisely. Go back and read the thread, I'll be busy... either making pizza or laughing. Probably pizza.
Chibz said:
The vast majority of mods people use are things like additional content. This is artificially adding things to the game world, thereby making it easier. Ergo cheating. Visual mods are just rampant graphic whorism, and it's pretty obvious what I think of graphics whores.
Chibz said:
Mods? That's basically just a more accepted form of cheating. Take your cheats elsewhere, foo.
General absolutisms. By the way you've also called Counter Strike a cheat. Both are examples of mods generating additional content.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I like the mouse and keyboard. Yes it can be a pain when idiot developers try to use every single key but at other times I find it to more smooth then the controller. That's just me though. Also, Steam.