What's the deal with the "black guy eating fried chicken and watermelons" thing?

Nov 27, 2010
I just don't get it. Why is this considered a racial slur? I can't see how anyone can think this is a good way to racially insult someone or that this is an offensive remark.

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
It's a stereotype, plain and simple. No reason why that I can fathom.

Next thread...

Nov 27, 2010
Kiju said:
It's a stereotype, plain and simple. No reason why that I can fathom.

Next thread...
Where did this stereotype come from? Did European colonists see nothing but black people getting stuffed with fried chicken and watermelon when they first arrived in Africa?

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
Yep it's a stereotype. Kiju is right.
One shouldn't generalise people like that. Just because people have one thing in common (which mind, isn't even a personality trait) doesn't mean that they are the same as everybody else with the same thing in common.
The fact that they are putting everybody in a certain race, in one group is offensive its self. It doesn't even really matter what you are saying about them.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Black people in the south used to really like fired chicken and watermelons. Some people thought it was funny and started making jokes about it, and then it became the stereotype.

It's kind of funny though, because now everyone likes fried chicken and watermelon.