What's the last "old" movie you watched for the first time?

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) I believe. It makes the remake with Denzel Washington and John Travolta look like a steaming pile of horse shit in my opinion.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
I watched the Seventh Seal about a week or two ago for the 1st time. I caught a glimpse of it on TV on an earlier occasion so I wanted to know what's it about, plus it's iconic status didn't hurt the curiosity.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
x0ny said:
"Cobra" starring sylvester stallone was on tv when I was at work, so watched that for a bit.
That one's pretty freakin' ammusiung...

For me either Touching Evil or The Maltese Falcon, I'm not sure which.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
i watched 12 angry men during christmas break. greatest movie that takes place in 2 rooms ever! dude with the mustache was the best (number 11)

Branches

A Flawed Logical Conundrum
Oct 30, 2008
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I had seen it when i was Six/seven, but never remembered it. So I went back and watched it.

evilartist

Nov 9, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
HonorableChairman said:
I would not consider a movie released in 2000 to be "old," but that's just me probably.

I saw City Lights the other day. Chaplin!
Would you consider a movie released in 2000 to be new?
So by your logic, I would be able to include 'Pitch Black' in this thread; I don't think so. If you had said the original Fantasia, that would have been old.

I recently watched First Blood.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Blade runner. I realize it did a lot for the sci-fi genre but...ugg that movie is just not that great.

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
Just finished Mr. Smith Goes to Washington for my government class.

Unrelated, the Return of the King's on Turner Classic Movies. Wut?

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
Last one I can recall was haloween a few years back. Unfortunately I cant recall the name but I do remember it being some sort of zombie flick back when it was still a new idea and movies were still showing in black and white.

For the time, the content of the movie was apparently "shocking" to audiences. From what I gathered the movie had enough violence for a borderline PG-PG13 rating.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
The Good Earth - 1937. (about a month ago).

I had read the book plenty of times, and finally decided to see the movie. The movie is a solid enough adaptation. But as usual, I still prefer the book over the movie.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
HonorableChairman said:
I would not consider a movie released in 2000 to be "old," but that's just me probably.

I saw City Lights the other day. Chaplin!
Would you consider a movie released in 2000 to be new?
Believe it or not, I would... anything in the 2000's are pretty relatively new to me, or at least not old. Same goes for movies from the 90's. For me to consider a film to be old... I can't have been alive when it came out. I was born in 1990.. So any film past that time isn't really old to me lol.

Though, time is relative so... I doubt many will see this the same way. The last really old film I watched for the first time was Get Carter... This was a while ago too. Well at least I think this was the last old film I'd watched for the first time. Been a while.

That's not to say that I'm a philostine who only watches new films. Its just that I've watched quite a lot of old classics so there's few I've not watched for the first time.

Crazed_Puppeteer

Jan 15, 2011
I saw The Grapes of Wrath (1940 version). Liked it myself, but I couldn't get through the book. 2.5 hours of watching a movie seemed better than reading a 700-page book (probably closer to 400 pages in other version).

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
I saw 12 Angry Men over the summer and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World last month. Now those are some outstanding movies.

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
I rented 2001: A Space Odyssey from the library not too long ago, but I just didn't enjoy it. I really wanted to enjoy it, and people say it's an amazing movie, but it just takes SO LONG to get past the pretty spaceships floating about that I lost interest.

I also got to see The Great Dictator, Limelight, and A King in New York on the silver screen when my movie theatre had a Charlie Chaplin film festival. Those were awesome.