What's the longest it's ever taken for a game you were playing to get good?

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
That's some pretty terrible sounding English right there, but it's the best way of phrasing my question that I could think of.

Basically, I'm looking for the longest time you spent playing a game and not really enjoying it, before it eventually became fun or worth your time in some other way.

I'm currently 6 hours into KOTOR2 and honestly, there's not been a lot to like so far. It took me 4 hours to get through the tutorial and the mining complex, and now I'm on the surface of Telos. Combat is fine but I've played through KOTOR 1 several times so it's not very exciting. A lightsaber wouldn't hurt. The story is unravelling at a snail's pace and there hasn't been a lot of character development thus far. Nothing too interesting in the quests yet, with the typical binary good/evil choices, not a lot of thinking involved, and a lot of running back and forth across the same areas.

I'm sticking with it for at least another few hours though, because I've heard that these are the slowest and worst parts of the game.

So what have you had to endure before a game you were playing became good? What's the longest you've powered through something you weren't enjoying, only to find it never got any better?

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Persona 2 Eternal Punishment on the PS1 comes to mind. I could simply not get into it. I found the dungeons long and boring and the battle system overly tedious. I tried time and time ago to get into the game, but I just couldn't.

Later on I played Persona 3 and 4 and decided despite its vastly different gameplay style I gave Persona 2 another shot. I pushed through a few hours not really enjoying myself til somethign finally clicked for me. I ended up loving the game and it is one of my favorite JRPGs of all time. I now have Innocent Sin on PSP that I plan to play fairly soon.

Cronq

Oct 11, 2010
The original Dragon Age took quite a while before I even began to like it. It happened about 4 hours before the end. Only reason I pushed myself to finish it was because I paid $30 for it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey didn't get good until the last hour.

Still totally worth it though.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Defense of the Ancients.

I've been playing it for eight years and I'm still learning new tricks.

BiggyShackleton

Nov 15, 2008
I'll second Dragon Age: Origins. Had it for ages and could never get into it, forced myself to get past Ostagar/Lothering and luckily found an awesome game.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Alpha Protocol took a long time to warm up. The entire desert missions segment is fairly grim, and the fussy controls take ages to adjust to.

I must admit it took me two tries and several hours to fall in love with Mount and Blade, too. The game is genius, but that interface, and those graphics...oy.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Til after the intro. I know games should have a good intro but I really hate many intros to games I like. ME2,KOTORII,Minecarft(getting setup),Skyrim/Oblivion etc.

WolfLord

Nov 8, 2011
I've heard from multiple people that i trust that FF13 takes a stupidly long amount of time to get good, some 20 hours or more. I know what you mean in KOTOR2, I stopped after the mining complex and never went back. One of my biggest videogame regrets because it's so hard to find a copy of it, and steam only has the first one.