What's the Most Brutal Anime You've Seen?

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
Have to go with Elfen Lied. I would just say though that Higuraishi is more creepy than the former.

Craig Shaw

Jan 14, 2013
devilman, genocyber, fist of the northstar all the oldies, i tnink many of the newer ones are cheesy

Craig Shaw

Jan 14, 2013
devilman, genocyber, fist of the northstar all the oldies, i tnink many of the newer ones are cheesy

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
neonsword13-ops said:
I thought Baccano! was pretty brutal.

The part where the Rail Tracer was dragging Czeslaw's hand on the train tracks while the train was in motion particularly stood out as a brutal moment.

And the part where Czes has his neck snapped by the Rail Tracer

And when Czes was shot in the head by Ladd... Come to think of it, Czes dies a LOT.

Speaking of Ladd, he's probably the most violent character in the show. In a good way.

I'm sure there is more brutal stuff out there, but I'll just stick to this for now.
Yeah was gonna say this as well, while Elfen Lied and Gantz have a higher body count and there is alot more gore, the gore in Baccano is pretty realistic for what it is. I feel the most brutal moment you didn't mention is when...

Czeslaw has red hot, spiked rods pushed into his eyes in the flashback. Although you don't see it you don't really need to.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Hellsing Ultimate is the most brutal anime I've seen. It didn't bother me at all compared to when I tried watching a fight scene from Elfen Lied.

krugerrand123

Apr 6, 2010
I am going with either Speed Grapher or requiem from the darkness, because both have some of the most disturbing things I have seen out of the animes I have watched.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Madara XIII said:
- Hellsing Ultimate (Fanfucking tastic Anime)
- Baccano (Few select brutal scenes but a well done anime)
- Berserk (Need I say more!? It's so damn good)

- Elfen Lied (Brutal, but that anime's story can go fuck itself.)

And last but not least.

[HEADING=2]JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE ANIME [/HEADING]

SO BRUTAL! SO MUDA

I dunno about JoJo. It is AMAZING manga and (so far) great anime, but it is not all that brutal, compared to other existing examples of anime gore. I only thought that violence there is disturbing during scenes with dogs, but I always feel sorry for hurt dogs and cats.

I'll be mainstream and go with Elfen Lied. It's a rather crappy anime, but no other one made me so... Revolted by what I saw on a screen.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Most brutal anime intended for children? Narutaru
Most brutal anime in general? Narutaru

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Gantz manga/anime. Its not just physically brutal, its emotionally brutal. I had to stop watching it.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Are we talking shock factor? Deadman Wonderland came to mind at first, but Akira, Berserk, and Blame all take the cake on this one. Oh yep...

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Aaron Sylvester said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Do the characters have any weight to them? Or do they turn into paper craft humans when they get punched or shot? The problem is I don't feel the impact. Punches and bullets fly through people like wet tissue paper so often.
Hmm...I see what you're asking. Can't think of any anime where someone throws an huge punch and the other guy doesn't go flying off. Even Hajime no Ippo (probably the best boxing anime you'll ever find) has a bit of dramatization thrown in.
Phantom: requiem for the Phantom has more feeling of impact to it's violence. Kenichi: the mightiest disciple has more than many anime, but not really a good feeling of weight. I'd say FMA is also a really good anime that did this well, though I pretty much think FMA did everything well.

AwesomeWunderbar

Jul 31, 2012
I have to go with Akira. The violence in it is more dramatic because it doesn't happen every five seconds and is very realistic.

I was going to say Higurashi but the fact that a little girl can stab herself in the head 15 time before dieing takes out all realistic and while it's still brutal it doesn't have the same effect.

I disagree about Elfin lied. The violence in it is so over the top that it just seems stupid.

I agree that there are some brutal scenes in DBZ but seeing as how most characters have died at some point and can take 50 punches to the skull without flinching it's not as effective.

Another anime with some brutal scenes is Fullmetal alchemist. The whole thing with Nina comes to mind. Mostly everyone in that show is a normal human so the violence is very realistic. I can think of a lot a scenes for this anime but I don't know how to do the spoiler thing.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Definitely Elfen Lied (although I haven't seen most of what everyone else has been saying). If you were to censor the entire series, it would make absolutely no sense - but that's ok because you'd only be confused for the 15 minutes you would be watching it.

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
Well I don't watch much but out of the few I have seen: Berserk, Hellsing (I prefer Ultimate but regular Hellsing is pretty bad too), Gantz, and Witchblade

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Dr. Cakey said:
CrystalShadow said:
Naruto. Seriously, that's been heavily edited for western audiences to make it more child-friendly, but when you see the unedited versions, you see why.
90% sure that's not true. I suppose it's possible that there was censorship for the TV broadcast, but I highly doubt it, and if there was it isn't present in the DVDs or online streams.

Japan actually has much stricter controls on what can and can't be shown on TV than the US. For example, you can't swear on TV. At all.
No, it's not present in the DVD's. And it's perfectly possible the unsensored versions have been broadcast on TV as well in certain places.

But I should remind you that there are 2 English dubs. One created by 4Kids, and the other by Funimation.

I've never seen much of the 4Kids version, but I did see a comparison of a scene from the two on youtube, and it did pretty much gut large parts of the story. (And in the example given drastically changed the implications of the story in the process.)

Just because you've never seen the censored version, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And no, online streams and DVD releases aren't likely to be based of of this.

Japan might have strict laws, but that depends on what you're showing, and at what time of day. I'm in the UK, and the unedited varsion of naruto varies between '12' and '15' ratings. (parts of seasons 3 and 4 having higher ratings.)

But I'm fairly certain 4Kids tried to get it into a lower ratings category than that...

Regardless of that point, Naruto remains relatively violent given what kind of age group it's really aimed at.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Well Elfin Lied is pretty brutal, especially because it basically tricks you right at the very beginning. When it starts it's all "Ohh what pretty music (I honestly think that the opening music is the best part of the anime)." And then smash cuts to "WHY IS THERE SO MUCH BLOOD!?" in about half a nano-second.
It's mostly the sound effects really, one gets the feeling that the sound people had WAY too much fun making this thing.

cerebreturns

Jan 15, 2013
David Ricardo Rangel said:
Berserk

Casca's rape still haunts me.
This, by far.

The manga of Berserk is crazy brutal, and just wrong in a lot of ways. There are more gory manga by far, but I don't think any manga deals with the content Berserk does so often and in such a horribly brutal and dark way.

Stuff gave me nightmares for months...

The anime I've heard is pretty dark too, but toned down a lot.

I think the thing about Berserk that makes it so dark is how realistically they approach everything. It's not over the top anime, it's not hyped up overly dark villains. It's a very realistic approach to all the evil that men have.

It is slow, and it builds, and you start to learn how terrible (and real) a world it is, and it just builds and builds, and then when it keeps shoving on you worse and worse things, just beating into you how sick and twisted even the best people are.

Then there is Casca's rape, witch in and of its self is dark and brutal, but, when you have read all before it, when you have seen the characters dvelop and everything, it takes on a whole different feeling.

It is the most moving thing I have ever read, in the absolutely worst way possible. I have never felt sicker in my stomach over any type of media then the entire arc around it.