what's the most cliche rogue race?

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
I'm playing Neverwinter and I'm stuck on character creation (as always). I know I want to make a Trickster Rogue, but I'm stuck between two cliches: a half-elf and a drow. So, my fellow Escapists, I ask which one is more cliche in your opinions and why?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Halflings are typically rogues too.

Go drow if it's between that and half-elf.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
When I think "Rogue", I think Halfling.

If I had to choose another race, Drow seems like a pretty good one as I would expect them to be sneaky and kind of shady.

I wonder why halflings got the rogue stereotype though. Is it just cause they're small and nimble so they can sneak into various places and steal easier? Less capable of fighting because of their size so they sneak around instead? You know...I might have just answered my own question...

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Bocaj2000 said:
I'm playing Neverwinter and I'm stuck on character creation (as always). I know I want to make a Trickster Rogue, but I'm stuck between two cliches: a half-elf and a drow. So, my fellow Escapists, I ask which one is more cliche in your opinions and why?
Hands down it's NOT the drow. They have the Drizzt cliche going for them strong

So yeah. Drow being anything else would forever be less of a cliche than that.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
When I think "Rogue", I think Halfling.

If I had to choose another race, Drow seems like a pretty good one as I would expect them to be sneaky and kind of shady.

I wonder why halflings got the rogue stereotype though. Is it just cause they're small and nimble so they can sneak into various places and steal easier? Less capable of fighting because of their size so they sneak around instead? You know...I might have just answered my own question...
Huh... It may have to do with Tolkien making Bilbo a burglar, similar to why dwarves a race of Super McWarrior. That's my guess though *shrug*
DoPo said:
Bocaj2000 said:

So yeah. Drow being anything else would forever be less of a cliche than that.
That's a good point. A Drow being anything other than a ranger is ground-breaking at this point. I guess I just always thought of rogues as the ranger's angsty cousin.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Funny, I would've thought it'd be goblins, typecasted as always evil and such.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
DoPo said:
Bocaj2000 said:
Beat me to it. Seriously, if you ever try and run a D&D game, at least 1 person will always try and be a Drow Ranger who has abandoned being evil and likes to fight with 2 swords.

But anyway, yeah Trickster Rogue I always think of a Halfling. If you were aiming for an Assassin I always think of Human, Elf, or even Tiefling (not sure if you can be a Tiefling in Neverwinter).

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Be an ogre! They're the most cliched rogue race there is what with their subtly, smarts, and sneakiness! :D

Disclaimer: I've never played the game in question and don't know - and even doubt - if Ogre is a playable race. I'd like to see a sneaky ogre, though. They'll never smell you coming! >:D

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The most "cliche" to me would be any race that has "Night" or "Shadow" or "Dark" in their names, or any other word that implies darkness/stealth/sneakiness.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
Why not just play a human? They'll never see that coming!
My longest running D&D campaign went through six players (myself included) and used 17 different characters across two years. Through that time we only had one human character and (shockingly!) only one drow character who was, refreshingly, a lawful evil monk/assassin.
So... yeah, be human. Your generic-ness will spell the doom of your foes!

On a more serious note, humans can make any build work and the extra skill points are really useful if you're looking at a sneaking build rogue rather than a backstabber.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Halflings/Hobbits are the quintessential rogues, going back to The Hobbit and the dwarves picking one up as a "Burgler" simply on natural talent (albeit following Gandalf's advice). Following that of course you have Kender from Dragonlance which are a race specifically designed to be rogues, Gnomes, and pretty much any kind of feline race. In AD&D Elves were popular for a long time on the merits of being able to have a dexterity of 19.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Therumancer said:
Following that of course you have Kender
I read that as "Following that curse". Considering it was referring to the Kender, I thought it was entirely appropriate. I then realised what it actually said. Oh well.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
DoPo said:
Therumancer said:
Following that of course you have Kender
I read that as "Following that curse". Considering it was referring to the Kender, I thought it was entirely appropriate. I then realised what it actually said. Oh well.
I loved playing as Kender PC's back in the day. Sadly, my DM's never let me pick fun things out of the pockets of my fellow adventurers, and just gave me money, which I didn't even want. Being the scout was always fun though, I'd get to see all the nasty stuff before anyone else! :)

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
You know what? As far as I'm concerned, rogues in general are a cliche by this point and OP's choice thus largely irrelevant. :/

Don't take that as a slight mind you. I feel the same about all the usual classes. The best you can hope for is a rare class/race combo. Though if my MMO experience is anything to go by even that only goes so far as it is those exact combos that become curiously popular after all because "Lolsorandom!" I'd swear there's more gnome warriors in world of warcraft than orc ones, for instance. -.-

So if you want my opinion: play what you want to play and ask forgiveness rather than permission. And by asking forgiveness I mean subverting the usual tropes in other ways, or even just roleplaying the cliche well.