What's the most recent thing you've really liked?

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Slightly behind the times (as I'm sure a lot of gamers on a budget are) but I finally played Wolfenstein: The New Order and was hugely impressed. Definitely one of the best put together FPS campaigns I've ever played. There were a few minor niggles with the PC version (the depth of field being so OTT in places was particularly irksome) but it felt like most aspects had been handled perfectly.

The pacing particularly impressed me with there really being no lowlights/ dull periods anywhere and the story, characters, and soundtrack were far better than the vast majority of first person shooters I've played.

So that was a pleasant surprise having gone in expecting nothing more than a bit of mindless Nazi killing. Looking forward to seeing what The Old Blood has to offer.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Despite my thinking that Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii was 'OK at best' I've really fallen into Xenoblade Chronicles X into a huge way. For whatever reason, I haven't really encountered a game in a while that put me into the "I should sleep soon but I have stuff I want to do" frame of mind. When I really get into Xenoblade X I have to pry myself out of the game. I haven't hit a hundred hours yet...I'm closing in on 70 but I still have a ton of quests, affinity missions and, story quests to do. Once I unlocked Skells, I kinda stopped doing story stuff for a good 5 or 6 hours. After getting the flight module and flight license...I don't think I've ever gone on to Chapter 10 actually...

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Daymo said:
One Punch Man
Same here. I watched One Punch Man earlier this week and loved it. There's just something special that I can't quite put my finger on about the show. I really enjoyed Assassination Classroom as well; it was kind of like an extreme Great Teacher Onizuka.

Recently I used some companions for the first time in Skyrim (I've always just played bethesda games as a lone character), and I really liked it. I downloaded some custom voiced ones with their own quests and full integration into the main game: adds a lot more to it. Unfortunately, when I have all five with me my system can't take the strain plus the game gets a little crash happy with all their scripting. Also, they tend to beat everything into dust before I have a chance to do anything.

Sep 13, 2009
I just finished reading the first book of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, and while this wasn't exactly a surprise, I really liked it

bartholen said:
Casual Shinji said:
Here's another shocking but welcome aspect about Little Witch Academia; No fanservice. In an anime. With an all-female cast. I didn't like the second OVA much though. Somehow it lacked the snappy energy of the first one.
Oh most definitely. It could have easily gone for fetishization of cutesy schoolgirls or have the teachers all have massive tits, but it respects the viewer enough to stray away from it. Definitely a big plus.
It's an interesting state of affairs when it's an achievement not to fetishize young school children

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I finally got this song on my ipod, and I am LOVING it!

Really should look into the other songs off that album...

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
Hacknet, i usually don't go for text heavy games but i find hacking games appealing, it has some flaws but overall it's super good.

Squanchy

Dec 23, 2015
I really, really enjoyed Jessica Jones. It was a solid, well-contained bit of comic book noire come to life.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Two things for me. Star Wars: The Old Republic and Manga Rocks.

The Old Republic I just sorta felt like playing again after not playing for months. I add sixty days as a subscriber to my account and start a Sith Warrior. Don't know why, but since I started I can't stop. I've been staying up much later on work nights and neglecting other games. It's just so much fun now.

Manga Rocks a co-worker told me about a week ago. It is pretty much an app that collects all of the manga series from dozens of websites and puts them all on a mobile-friendly app. I paid five bucks to download the manga to my phone and skip ads, now I can't stop reading manga. So I've really been digging this app, got me into reading manga again and finding new series.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I've started watching Steven Universe after that recent controversy about Cartoon Network UK editing it for some dumb reason.

Now that is a fun cartoon. While the animation and jokes are pretty good, the songs are definitely my favourite part.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I was randomly in a superhero mood last week, and binge watched all of the CN series "young justice", which I had been putting off watching for years now. I can see why it deserved it's hype! A totally fun ride, even if the second season was a little loose and rushed.

Down side is, now I'm stuck with the crushing depression of its cancellation two years too late.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ever since I bought LBX (Little Battlers Experience) on the 3DS last week (saw it at my local toy store and did some research and since I'm a mecha fan, I couldn't passed it up)! I had started immersed myself with the franchise.

The gameplay itself is solid (remind me of Gotcha Force) and the LBX itself kinda remind me of Medalbots without them being sentience with abit of Custome Robo. Anyway the joy I get out of it is the customazition or rather the mech designs.

Ok sure the overall design are kiddy which is not a bad thing but some of the designs are really cool!

Just a few examples

I using parts of the UC version of this one at the moment. The UC is black, grey and white than the red and blue which is look alot cooler than the above image.

Ok granted I have no intention on watching the anime the game is based on (it's Yugioh but with toy robots!) and from the watching some model reviews, they kinda inferior to the Gundam models (less articulations and the parts seen to come off easily). Still despite what I say about the models, I wouldn't mind buying one if I see a one at a convention.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
One foodie type thing that I'm really into now is fish tacos. Kinda surprising considering where I live, but I never had the inclination to try one until about a month ago. That shit is delicious.

Not Your Father's Root Beer I tried for the first time last night and it's yummy. Not too sweet or too beer-y, but just right. I bought a six pack last night and I have one left in my fridge. So, I think it's safe to say that I enjoyed it.

I just recently got into Thy Catafalque. I really like it when heavy metal, or just music in general, takes their culture's influences and incorporates it into their music. They're a Hungarian band and you can hear the influences.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
New boardgame cafe opened in our town. Played a couple of new games Machi Koro, Tsuro of the Seas. Really enjoyed them, does that count?

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Fox12 said:
I just discovered Rick and Morty, and I must say, it's sad to see what I've been missing. It has a really smart sense of humor, and it's filled the hole futurama left behind. I've been burning through the first season pretty quickly. I lost my shit at the mr. Meeseeks episode. The council of ricks was pretty great as well.
Ah man, that's a good recent thing to really like. Better late than never - I love the hell outta that show.

OT: Uhmmmm since I tend to sit and stew for awhile in whatever obsessions I have (how very teenage girl but I don't give a fuuuu), I'm still completely in love with King's Quest 2015. I mean... it's so good!

And I GUESS by extension I've actually gotten into the other KQ games as well and I'm really enjoying the whole series. But mainly the new one. Because it came to me at the right time in my life.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Yakuza 5. There is not a single game in all of 2015 that gave me so much pure uncut happiness, injected directly into my eyeballs. Everything about it, from the visceral combat to the five cities that all feel like the same country and yet entirely different places, to the ability to just ignore the story and play mahjong for three hours, and definitely the story, even beat out Undertale for me.[footnote]Not to say that Undertale was in any way bad; it's fantastic, but I just personally prefer Yakuza 5.[/footnote]

Also, everything I've seen about XCOM 2 suggests that it's going to blow minds, and as a fan of the first reboot game, I can't wait for February.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
leet_x1337 said:
Also, everything I've seen about XCOM 2 suggests that it's going to blow minds, and as a fan of the first reboot game, I can't wait for February.
Oh man, me too! It certainly looks awesome. I watched both AngryJoe's [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVw-QOU06WU] and TotalBiscuit's [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqLNE8VXDGU] previews and I really dig the changes in both the tactics and strategy. Going in stealth in the beginning and ambushing the aliens is so nice for a change. Also, in AngryJoe's video the first mission struck me as being the exact opposite of what happened in the first game - you go in, start terrorizing the aliens and then they send in an XCOM like squad to deal with the threat. Sweet! :D The "win back the planet" strategic play looks quite intriguing.

I am not completely sure I'll preorder it (probably not), but I am almost definitely getting it next month, barring complications. My birthday is in just about a months time, so I think this would be my present. From myself. I'm also moving to a new place, as well, so it can double up as a present for that. From me. Again. OK, I know that it doesn't make that much sense to begin with, but damn it, I shall justify it however I want! :p

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
XenobladeChroniclesXXenobladeChroniclesXXenobladeChroniclesXXenobladeChroniclesXXenobladeChroniclesXXenobladeChroniclesXXenobladeChroniclesXXenobladeChroniclesXXenobladeChroniclesXXenobladeChroniclesXXenobladeChroniclesXXenobladeChroniclesXXenobladeChroniclesX

Oh, sorry, I got stuck in a feedback loop there.

But yeah, Xenoblade Chronicles X is basically everything I wanted it to be. I've got a few minor problems with how the combat works, and the online servers coupled with my poor internet add up to being just absolute trash, but it's one of the few games where the technical prowess on display just overwhelms me and causes me to not really care about the little things.

I've finally started playing a bit of Metal Gear Solid V, as well. I got Ground Zeroes a while back, but I didn't really want to play it until I could play The Phantom Pain as well, which I got for Christmas. It makes my laptop overheat like I'm living in the Sahara, though.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Oh, further OT:

Black Closet

Oh. My. Gods. It's awesome. So addictive. OK, so first of all, it's a game. Second, I can't really nail the style but it's a cross between a visual novel and a strategy. To more properly explain what kind of strategy - it's more along the lines of a board game or maybe (were we to stay to video game examples) sort of XCOM-ish. Not entirely, but sorta. I don't really know what the genre is called (if anything) - I've played some others that are sort of similar. Long Live the Queen probably being the closest and the most recent one that I've played (and also the one whose name I recall).

At any rate, the premise is that you are a the student council president (think Japanese schools in anime) and you are in charge of a high class school. Your objective is to preserve the name of your school. It's done by a neat turn based resource allocation strategy gameplay. Namely, each week, you get a couple of cases to deal with - some could be finding missing property, others about uncovering who drew graffiti, others still could be about investigating cults that spring up in school. Usually, if you don't deal with them, they reach the public and your school loses reputation - if it reaches 0, you lose the game and are used as a scapegoat, so the school can keep its image. So, to deal with the cases, you have 5 minions at your disposal that would do the dirty work for you, and you can allocate them to various tasks. They can interrogate, and investigate students involved in the cases, as well as punish, silence, or reward some - whatever it takes to keep the shady stuff under lid.

The resource allocation part comes when you have just so much manpower at your disposal. You are not going to solve every case, if you stretch your resources thin, you may even not solve more than that. Some cases you may just have to leave and take the blow for, as long as you can complete others. And this is another neat thing - failure is an option. Heck, you'd very rarely "succeed" - at the end of each case, you get graded from A to F[footnote]with higher grades, you get more skill points which you can later use to train your minions[/footnote]. F is obviously the worse but interestingly, you may not get it as often as you would imagine. On the other end of the scale, A is the best but it's hard to get this grade consistently. A lot of times you would finish a case with missteps. Sometimes you would even have cases blow up and reach the public but even then you may get, like, a D because they weren't really that severe. Or, heck, a B or C if the cases weren't really anything noteworthy to begin with. Which is another cool thing - the cases are randomly generated, yet they still follow a pattern - you can have a stolen necklace case that turns out it was just the owner misplacing it. Or not.

Anyway, I did mention how you only have 5 minions at your disposal, didn't I? And even with them, you might be stretched thin. Well, one of them is a traitor and works against you. Yep. You also have to monitor them and find out who it is before it's too late. Oh, and even though in story mod[footnote]there also seems to be a custom mode where you set up parameters for the game and I think you can even pick minions. But I only know of it's existence, I've not tried it yet[/footnote] you always get the same minions, the traitor is randomly determined at the start of the game.

The game is just awesome, I loved it. It has simple, yet elegant mechanics. The gameplay keeps you on your toes and it suffers badly from the "just one more turn week[footnote]while you set out assignment for each day, which happen to be your "turns", you can only save each in-game week, so you would need to leave on a Monday"[/footnote]" syndrom. Heck, I played it until 3:30 last night, and I had to wake up at 6:30. It was worth it, though.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Hmmh really liking? Steven Universe probably.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
I also started watching Doc Martin from the beginning, I'm also really enjoying that.
I started watching that too. Not sure if I'd classify it as 'really liking it' but it nice to have on the background when I'm doing something else.