What's the most you've cried at a fictional character's death?

matt-boy

Apr 25, 2008
"Grave of the Fireflies". I don't cry at movies or books. Sure I can feel moved, but almost never do I get genuinely upset over them. Then I saw that movie and sobbed at the end. I don't know anyone who didn't, honestly. A closer runner up would be the first two Samurai X movies. Not nearly as emotionally weighted, but it was touching.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I've never actually cried over any character death in fiction. But I did get choked up at the end of "On the Beach", and at the death of
Anya

I also got chills when I read the "Death of Superman" story for the first time.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
Sacman said:
There has only been one... WILSON! I'M SORRY WILSON!
OH GOD WILSON. I saw this movie at a young age, when I was less than ten. It was absolutely devestating to me. I don't know if I could watch it now, at least 10 years later.

OT: Yeah, Wilson. Nothing'll beat that.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
Well this is highly disturbing. If a fictional character can provoke strong emotional responses, then i'm somewhat worried what some of you might do or how you would react when a family member dies.

Souther Thorn

Apr 5, 2013
Souther Thorn said:
Chewbacca, I cried and threw the book across the room and then called my dad and cried some more...I was 23 or so....
Chewbacca dies? D: It's not true, that's impossible![/quote]

It's true, though it was in an expanded universe book, Vector Prime. Although, he goes out by getting smacked by a moon, so...honorable (if not just BADASS) end I suppose.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Oh god, this is like a spoiler-minefield where the mines fly at your face. I didn't scroll down for nothing though, so I submit my own answer:

Telltale's Walking Dead final episode, final scene. You know what I mean. I bawled so hard >.<.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
RyQ_TMC said:
That's an easy one.

I cried in the theater, and later developed a habit of leaving the room when watching Lion King on VHS and That Scene was approaching.

Captcha: Big screen. Yes captcha, I saw it in the theater. I cried. We all cried.
Exactly. I cried in the cinema. I cried when I was watching it at home on a VHS. and I can't bear watching this scene again anytime the movie's on.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
3-way tie.

Aeris, Thane Krios in ME3 (very moving scene with shepard and his son reading poetry as he passes), and Stringer Bell in The Wire. Yeah, I knew it was coming, but it didn't stop me from bawling irl.

Lady Lucky

Bullet Dodger
Sep 4, 2012
My Dog Skip... Why do dog movies almost always end badly? Marley and Me made me cry too, of course that one was based on a true story.
I like dogs and my family has always owned one, so I have a bleeding heart for the cute little furballs.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
sanquin said:
1: One Piece. The Thousand Sunny. To think a shounen anime could make me shed tears for a friggin' boat. o_O
Methinks you mean the Going Merry. And yes, it is one of the three times I've cried whilst watching One Piece. The others being Usopp's fight with Luffy and Robin getting rescues. The Water 7 arc was just so heart wrenching and awesome at the same time.
Argh, you're right... The Going Merry was their first ship. >_<

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Sofus said:
Well this is highly disturbing. If a fictional character can provoke strong emotional responses, then i'm somewhat worried what some of you might do or how you would react when a family member dies.
I can tell you that. My father passed away on April 10th. I reacted by crying several times that afternoon/evening. And I coped with it by smoking weed, listening to lots of music and surrounding myself with other people as much as possible for a week or so. At the funeral I cried even more.

OT:
I listed only three, but I remember at least another 5 now. It's just too hard to pick one or two where I cried the 'most' though.

Niki Mouzourakis

Jan 25, 2012
How has no one said the end of Half-Life 2 Episode 2? Didn't cry but it's the closest I've ever come...
And it's definitely one of the most brutal Father-Daughter character deaths I've seen yet, just sayin'

Cheezeypoofs

Professional Brony
Dec 19, 2010
Anybody remember that HBO show Oz? The night before Cyril was to go to the chair was hands down the saddest thing I have ever seen.

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
Lee's death in the Walking Dead game is the only time I've cried at a piece of fictional work.

Makes me well up just thinking about it.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Only 1 movie has ever made me cry, but it was double-y good because it made me cry twice.

Shaolin
If you've seen it, I'm sure you can guess.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
Rorschach's death in the comic of Watchmen. The horrific desperation, tears streaming down his face as everything he believes in crumbles, begging his friend to kill him... goddamn that was a powerful scene.

One most people won't have come across: the death of Charlie in Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo. First time I ever cried reading or watching anything, ever. Goddamn that was horrible

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Lelouch's death.
It's heart crushing. He gets killed, falls down to his younger sister. All the people around start cheering because of his death while Nanuly holds him in her hands and finds out the truth.
Her crying while while almost everyone else cheers about his death... my eyes got all wet just from writing this.

The finishing scene in Skyward Sword when Fi says goodbye. She was annoying as fuck but I still got sad.

randomrob1968

Sep 26, 2011
the death of Liev the storyteller-

there is a indie film from 2009 called 'Ink', a contemporary fantasy about an estranged father and daughter that I cry through nearly the whole running time of, there's so many emotional reveals to it. For those with patience for experimental micro budget films, I recommend.

<youtube=5ZUK9HOT5HY>