What's the most you've cried at a fictional character's death?

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Roland in Borderlands 2. He was my main character in the first game and they flesh out the character so well in the audio logs and intercharacter banter. Didn't shed a tear during the actual scene, though I vowed to continue playing nonstop until Handsome Jack was dead, but I kinda caved during the intro to Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep when they referenced it.

New World Fool

Feb 15, 2013
Minato/Makoto's death at the end of Persona 3. I knew it was coming because I did read up on the game long before I played it but I still cried once the credits started rolling. I hastily ducked into the bathroom because I didn't want to cry in font of my brother.

Also, Nanako's death in Persona 4, not as much as Makoto's did though because again, I read up on it long before playing and I knew she'd pull through.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Eli's death in HL2:E2
Carlos' death in SR2
Zeke's death in Infamous 2 (evil)
Cole's death in Infamous 2 (good)
Roth's death in Tomb Raider

These ones just made me tear up.

Big Boss in Metal Gear Solid 4.

<youtube=X5ET36lbIMA>

This is good... isn't it?

*cigar falls*

At least he died a peaceful death after all of the bad things that had happened to him... and at least before he passed away, he reunited with his son... and told him he respected him as a man... and a soldier...

Excuse me, I have something in my eye. ;____;

Karhukonna

Nov 3, 2010
There's probably more, but

Castaway's Wilson is just so goddamn embarrassing I never discuss it with anyone. Mind you, I was like thirteen or so when I saw the movie. I was bawling my eyes out when Wilson gets taken by the sea.

Goddammit Wilson. You were just a fricking volleyball, why did I love you so?

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Joel's Daughter in Last Of Us

(No that's not a spoiler it's the first god damn thing that happens!)

She was awesome, usually kids in media suck. But Sara had a sense of humor, a good relationship with her father, palpable emotions. Why did you have to kill her Naughty Dog?!
What? Pathos!? Fuck Pathos! Why not give Ethos and Logos a try every once and a while?

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
The little nameless monkey at the intro of Disney's 'Tarzan'. I mean, you can hear it scream as it's being torn and eaten by a leopard!
That's just gruesome and sad!

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Sacman said:
There has only been one... WILSON! I'M SORRY WILSON!

This for me as well. There's just so many things saddening things about that scene. Didn't cry, but came close.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
I've only cried a couple of times to fictional work, and none of them have been at a death.

The part of Pheonix Wright: Trials and Tribulations where

Fawles, Mia Fey's first client, commits suicide

made me misty-eyed.

Additionally, I don't think I've ever felt such genuine hatred for a character as I feel for Dahlia Hawthorne.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Nagisa's death. And tears of "Bullshit!" after she got revived.

Other than that, Adam Sandler's character in "Click". Yeah, I wish it were something else, too.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
VodkaKnight said:
For me?
Probably Nina from FMA.
Won't say I cried, but FMA Brotherhood does draw out a nice emotional response, most parts with Envy surprisingly.
But on topic: Mass Effect 3

Mordin: "I am the very model of a scientist Salarian." Manly tears. Actually looked into it when I heard that he only sings that if you got him to sing in ME2, and there's so much more content taht ME3 'rewards' you with if you took the time to do this and or that. And not a single fuck was given about the ending.

Except for Javik wanting to stay when you do the final charge in the extended cut.

InfinityCubed

Aug 22, 2012
A Song of Ice and Fire and Flashpoint are the only book and TV series, respectively, that I have ever cried to (excluding when I was 10 and would run off crying to the second act of EVERY MOVIE EVER) and I cried as a result of powerful character moments, not character deaths.

cbraley

Mar 9, 2013
In a video game. Doms death in gears of war 3. As for moments when i cried but no body died. Past sins chapter ten. My little dashie and others.

Oct 10, 2011
John Marston. He finally gets his family, finally gets back to normal, then that fucker agent Ross comes to kill you in front of your wife and son. And you can see that it's his family that John is thinking of as he dies.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
username sucks said:
John Marston. He finally gets his family, finally gets back to normal, then that fucker agent Ross comes to kill you in front of your wife and son. And you can see that it's his family that John is thinking of as he dies.
I didnt so much as cry but i was really fucked off even more so when i had to play as his annoying son. Anyway i relished the revenge at the end needless to say i dropped the fucker off in bear country

On topic: the last scene in bucket list is pretty moving when he leaves his ashes on the mountain. Two of my favourite actors in that film too and the chemistry between them was amazing

Marley and me got me but hes real and hes a dog

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
The top three moments, and probably most recent (from my perspective), are the Fifth and Tenth Doctors' deaths/regenerations and the entirety of ME3.

I know Tennant's Doctor gets a bit of flak for having an emotional ending but, when I first watched it, I needed that emotional scene. Also the twenty minutes of goodbye. It was hard for me when he was my doctor. Five's goodbye was also hard because, damn, did he go out in a spectacular fashion. I still have a hard time watching those episodes/serials knowing what will happen.

I didn't have a lot of characters die on me in ME3 (complete paragon with no deaths in previous games) but it seemed like after every mission I was crying. Mordin started it and I cried. Thane was next, and I stopped the game. Legion had me pacing. By the end...as much as I can respect the ending, I was sad for a full month after playing that game. Didn't even touch anything else for a while because of the emotional attachment I had left-over from ME3. Brutal.

Another one was a bunch of character deaths in Torchwood. I knew all of them were happening except when I watched the actual episodes I was a complete mess.

Movies are a mixed bag for me. Don't cry all too much with them: less emotional attachment from 2 hrs.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I have not actually cried, but a few fictional deaths did manage to hit me.

Annah from Planescape: Torment, her scene in Fortress of Regrets is quite crushing.

Interestingly enough, Max at the end of The Devil's Playhouse. Not his death as such, but seeing just how utterly devastated Sam was.

Madison in Alpha Protocol was rather emotional, but this one was more along the lines "Okay, I am so going to kill that guy."

A particularly odd one was Mavralyn in WoW, after Darkshore got cataclysm'd. Actually just a minor NPC, but me playing a night elf rogue, and her dialogue made it really, really sad.

The way the entire crew of Gosroth went down in Crest of the Stars didn't leave me cold, either.

Felt bad for Myryan from Sine Mora as well.

Murais said:
Grave of the Fireflies ranks pretty high. That one hit close to home, and the utter helplessness of that film is soul-crushing.
Okay, I stand corrected on the "not actually cried part". Indeed. That movie is so soul-crushingly tragic that if you have not shed a tear at the end, you have no heart.