What's the Pettiest Thing that made you dislike a game?

Sep 24, 2008
For me, it has to be Ps4 Spider-man. And this hurts me. While I defend Superman for being more interesting than Batman, I'm not even that much of a DC fan to begin with. I only know anything about them from the DCAU which was stellar.

I was born in the Bronx. Spiderman was literally my hometown hero (I know Spiderman lives in Queens, but the five boros make up New York City). I read his comics since I was 5. I drench myself in Spiderman Lore. He is what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Still is, honestly.

And knowing what I know about Spiderman, I know a lot about his fighting style. It's supposed to be completely unpredictable. Even when Shang Chi helped him develop Spider Fu, his actual speed, agility, and strength made him even more of a power house.

So after hearing all the glowing praise and getting off of the glorious combat of the Batman Arkham Series, I bought Spiderman the second I brought home my ps4 pro last year. I mean, if Batman has random combos, I couldn't WAIT to see what they had for Batman.

... and then they gave one of the most unpredictable fighters a standard combo.

an Outside to Inside Spinning Snap Kick, and Inside to outside spinning Roundhouse, and an Rolling Sabot.

what?

This is SPIDERMAN. Bruce Wayne gets more varied attacks that a Superhuman fighter with flexibility beyond most other super powered figures, AND SPIDERSENSE telling him where to strike?!

Being such a fan of the hero, the Arkham series, and being someone who actually practices Martial Arts myself... I was disappointed. I know you get more variations of combos and gadgets and whatever, but this is a core aspect of the character that they just got wrong. It soured me so much.

I recently redownloaded it and I'm going to just try to get through the story. But I'm really put out because of the Basic Combo they gave such a varied and incredible fighter. A fighter whose primary fighting style is driven by the capricious nature of his Spider Sense.

Ok, that's my pettiness out of the way. Can't wait to hear yours.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Cloud's stupid sword in Final Fantasy VII. That's not a sword. It's a goddamned Pizza Paddle.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
There were one or two puzzles in Luigi's Mansion 3 were the game suddenly decided to break its own rules, and make the solutions impossible to figure out. I had to look up the answer and it made me spit blood in frustration, seriously, I don't think I've ever gotten this mad at a game, and I get mad at games quite often. And it was different from other times I looked up solutions, since in those moments I was hit with an 'a-ha', in LM3 it was more 'What the fuck?! How was I supposed to figure that out?' I haven't returned to it since, so I guess it did make me hate the game a bit.

Aug 31, 2012
While there were certainly more things that made me dislike them:

FFVII: Cloud steps off train armed with a sword, faced with 2 guards with automatic weaponry..."well, I'm boned"... *plink, plink*. Oh...

Dragon age: Duncan (think that was his name) makes you join the grey wardens whether you want to or not. Fuck this guy, fuck this game.

Mass effect. Starting on the bridge, "this ship looks shit, I don't like it" talked to a couple of bridge crew. "Hang on, you are making up my background for me..." Uninstall.

RE4: Salazar. Fuck this, I'm out.

Half Life 2: For some reason I took an instant dislike to the main menu screen. I think it was a brick wall or similar. Fuck this, uninstall. Never played a second of it.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
wasteland 2. First, this game was touted to me as way better than Fallout, where you're action has consequences.

I was tasked with finding out information from a guy, resulting in a monitored (by you) release from jail to gather said info. The captain of your group states that he needs to be put back in jail. You can return him. Or not. Or kill him Because no one cares. Certainly not the Captain or anyone in your HQ. If you let him go... nothing happens. Return him... nothing happens.

I immediately stopped playing the game and have no interest in Wasteland 3. I also stopped listen to people saying anything about consequences, and realised that Fallout 3 wasn't that far behind NV

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I would not exactly call it petty (Ninja Theory were being assholes, and the gaming press and Capcom were enabling them), but the entire DmC reboot I hated from its story, characters, and tone. The final nail in the coffin being the lack of lock-on and 30fps on consoles. It took until 2016 playing the Definitive Edition that fixed a majority of the gameplay problems to consider liking it. The only thing I liked about DmC was Kat, Pheneous, and Bob Barabas. I hated the interpretation of Dante and Vergil. Reboot Dante I tolerated after playing the DE version, but that's about it.

Ninja Gaiden II I hated for the longest time for a lot of cheap shots you can't get yourself out of (even when you know it's coming). And a game breaking bug Tecmo refused to fix for a long while after realeasing one of their dlcs that caused the glitch in the first place.

Dead or Alive I never hated, but I did hate Ayane for the longest time. She was wangsty ***** that wanted to perform soricide on her older sister for petty reasons. I felt no sympathy for her, and what sucked was that she was more or less the series mascot, aside from Kasumi herself. Thank God, when 4 came out, the true ending of that game and the plot of 5 hinted/implied that they were ending that sub-plot. They're finally, somewhat (this mean you, Ayane) getting along. Kasumi at least always tried to reasonable and diplomatic.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
So, a personal quirk of mine is that I hate the heat. I hate it. Hate summer, hate the sun, hate any occasion that would see the temperature around me raise above 80 degrees farenheit.

A side-effect of this quirk is that I'm unfond of warm colors, sunny/summer tones, whatnot... games whose style incorporate a lot of these in their design are incredibly hard for me to get into.

This also means any game that features deserts as a large part of their setting have an uphill battle for my enjoyment, even if their design is otherwise perfectly engaging or interesting to me, such as final fantasy XII.

To this day, there has only been one game in each of the above categories that I was able to unambiguously love despite this petty bias. The only game with a tropical/summer color scheme I've ever been able to love is Chrono Cross for the PS1. The only game that prominently features a desert setting that I was able to love is Fallout: New Vegas.

At least it cuts both ways, though! I have the same bias in the opposite direction with autumn colors/aesthetic, or game worlds that have clear temperate/autumn-inspired settings... so at least I'm petty in positive and negative ways.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
"This bike is so cool. It should be on 'Ride with Norman Reedus'", said Norman Reedus.

...I almost dropped the controller right there just to pick up my jaw from the floor.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Dragon Age 1. I dropped it after learning Morrigan is the only offensive mage in the game. I hated her attitude and her commenting on my every decision in a snarky way.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Blaster Master Zero, its a good game, a bit easy, but the thing that killed it for me was when you shoot your upgraded gun, which you do a lot it has this annoying high pitched noise that I just can't stand.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I guess for me Haunting Ground is a good example. I was really liking the game but once a character named Daniella died I just lost all interest in it because she was the most interesting character and I was getting tired of how simpering Fiona was.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Any time Felicia Day is in a video game, I immediately ignore/dislike her character. Its not her voice, that's fine. Its her IRL persona of the 'Geek girl' who can only talk about Fallout or Star Wars.

For 40 years any dude who only wanted to talk 'nerd' culture was considered immature, a man-baby, bunch of other things. But suddenly an attractive woman does it and she's a Living Saint?! Plus I find the whole act to be just that, an act. Not that she's not a real fan, but she's deliberately hamming it up for attention and nerd cred. And that makes me feel manipulated, and that in turn makes me annoyed.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
When Ubisoft changed Sam Fisher's voice actor for Splinter Cell: Blacklist. I still played the game, and from a purely gameplay perspective it was fine. I'd even say a return to form after the mess that was Conviction. But I just couldn't get into it the same way that I was into earlier games, because of Sam's voice primarily. There were other factors involved too. The entire atmosphere of the Blacklist and Conviction were wrong. All they had to do is have an entirely new protagonist and it would have been fine.

Sep 24, 2008
Silentpony said:
Any time Felicia Day is in a video game, I immediately ignore/dislike her character. Its not her voice, that's fine. Its her IRL persona of the 'Geek girl' who can only talk about Fallout or Star Wars.

For 40 years any dude who only wanted to talk 'nerd' culture was considered immature, a man-baby, bunch of other things. But suddenly an attractive woman does it and she's a Living Saint?! Plus I find the whole act to be just that, an act. Not that she's not a real fan, but she's deliberately hamming it up for attention and nerd cred. And that makes me feel manipulated, and that in turn makes me annoyed.
Ok, this is a sidebar story.

Being a geek back in the day was bad, but being a black geek in the Bronx was almost literally life and death. You show weakness, and they will pounce on you.

Back then, my brother (who is older than me) hid it better. He said he was buying those comics for me. He wasn't, but I definitely read all of his comics growing up. Did he know? That's another topic. But I know how to place things back perfectly for some reason.

He collected Wonder Woman because he liked how she looked. I just liked the comics. And it was not a fun time going to the comic shop buying my own comics with Wonder Woman being in the pile. I took a page from my brother and lied, saying it was for my sister. The New Mutants (then eventually X-Force), X-Men, and sometimes Alpha Flight were my comics.

Fast forward to when they had the Women-only Wonder Woman screenings. And having a female friend telling me that it's perfectly ok that happened. I could have easily gotten beaten up for being a fan of Wonder Woman, but I was. I paid money to be apart of that world when it was actually dangerous for me. And then I'm being told by people who actually know nothing but the Mythos that it's ok that me as a lifelong fan was excluded because I happen to be a dude?

Anyway, more to your point, I never got why people were so into Day as it was. I knew she had a web series, I tried to watch it and all I did was Cringe.

Now that you mentioned it, I do have an issue seeing a new character in video games or whatever geek media and realizing "Oh, this is what the female Cosplayers are all going to dress like next year..."

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Silentpony said:

Ok, this is a sidebar story.

Being a geek back in the day was bad, but being a black geek in the Bronx was almost literally life and death. You show weakness, and they will pounce on you.

Back then, my brother (who is older than me) hid it better. He said he was buying those comics for me. He wasn't, but I definitely read all of his comics growing up. Did he know? That's another topic. But I know how to place things back perfectly for some reason.

He collected Wonder Woman because he liked how she looked. I just liked the comics. And it was not a fun time going to the comic shop buying my own comics with Wonder Woman being in the pile. I took a page from my brother and lied, saying it was for my sister. The New Mutants (then eventually X-Force), X-Men, and sometimes Alpha Flight were my comics.

Fast forward to when they had the Women-only Wonder Woman screenings. And having a female friend telling me that it's perfectly ok that happened. I could have easily gotten beaten up for being a fan of Wonder Woman, but I was. I paid money to be apart of that world when it was actually dangerous for me. And then I'm being told by people who actually know nothing but the Mythos that it's ok that me as a lifelong fan was excluded because I happen to be a dude?

Anyway, more to your point, I never got why people were so into Day as it was. I knew she had a web series, I tried to watch it and all I did was Cringe.

Now that you mentioned it, I do have an issue seeing a new character in video games or whatever geek media and realizing "Oh, this is what the female Cosplayers are all going to dress like next year..."
It sounds like you guys grew up in sucky places. Video games were one of those things that seemed to interest pretty much all the guys when I was in school, even middle school, which was a bullshit place. Really the only time I can ever remember being made fun of for anything regarding it was when one of my friends decided that KKnD sounded like kkk and started mocking it after I told him about the game.

Either-way you guys might want to be careful of gate-keeping nerdom, I don't think its intentional but both of you sound a bit like you're trying to say that she didn't have to earn her nerd cred the way you too did so shes not worthy. Again, I don't think either of you are making that statement, but it sounds like you might be inadvertently saying that.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Silentpony said:

Good thing you admitted this is a petty thing to be angry about.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
ObsidianJones said:
This got me thinking: It would had been funny to have Black-people-only Black Panther screenings, just to see if movie theaters could pull that publicity stunt as well.

Sep 24, 2008
Worgen said:
It sounds like you guys grew up in sucky places. Video games were one of those things that seemed to interest pretty much all the guys when I was in school, even middle school, which was a bullshit place. Really the only time I can ever remember being made fun of for anything regarding it was when one of my friends decided that KKnD sounded like kkk and started mocking it after I told him about the game.

Either-way you guys might want to be careful of gate-keeping nerdom, I don't think its intentional but both of you sound a bit like you're trying to say that she didn't have to earn her nerd cred the way you too did so shes not worthy. Again, I don't think either of you are making that statement, but it sounds like you might be inadvertently saying that.
Well, that's a problem in and of itself. Literally all I said about Day was this

Literally if I replace Day's name with Arin Hanson, would it be gate-keeping his credentials?

But otherwise, I do agree with you. I'm not the type of person who says "Since I got these scars growing up like I did, you must get them as well". I actually like the fact that my God Son can wear the WW on his chest and not be chased by wannabe thugs. I literally just don't understand the appeal of Day. Just like I don't get the appeal of Pewdie Pie or Markiplier.

By the way, yes and no to the shitty places. I was in the Bronx in the 1980's

I know it's rundown, but I can't help but to feel somewhat nostalgic looking at this video.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I spent the entirety of the first inFAMOUS irritated at the metallic ding-ding coming from Cole's backpack with every step. It's the kind of thing that would make me pause in real life and sort out the backpack until it doesn't make a noise every step I take.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Worgen said:
Yeah. I can't even picture in my mind how it would had been to not being able to play with my Game Boy during recess for fear of being mocked (let alone bullied or beaten). It's messed up!