What's the Scariest Book you have Ever Read?

Celtic Predator

Feb 19, 2010
What's the scariest book you've ever read? What was the scariest moment of the book (passage, line, etcetera). Mine would have to be House of Leaves. It kept me up for days. Scariest passage (more of a poem)

"Little solace comes to those who grieve,
as thoughts keep drifting,
and walls keep shifting,
and this great blue world of ours,
seems a house of leaves,
moments before the wind."

So yeah, I definitely recommend the book. Now it's your turn.

Threx

Nov 9, 2009
The Bible. The book of revelations scares the hell out of me.

Tele-screen

Nov 23, 2009
I was never more scared to read than back in elementary school when I would check out the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books and read them alone in my room at night with a book light. Anybody who grew up in the 90's should know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Angry Caterpillar

Feb 26, 2010
Tele-screen said:
I was never more scared to read than back in elementary school when I would check out the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books and read them alone in my room at night with a book light. Anybody who grew up in the 90's should know what the fuck I'm talking about.
Dear Christ those things destroyed my mind as a little kid. It was so bad I sometimes have nightmares about those same damn stories.

Celtic Predator

Feb 19, 2010
I can't believe I forgot about those! They were terrifying, I had all of them. The only one I really remember though was the cover art for one, which was a clown head protruding from the ground. Really graphic art, not for children.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Twilight.

I read it just to wonder if it was as terrible as everyone makes it out to be.

Its worse.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Hmmm trying to think of a good answer, which then led me to a scarier thought.

What's a book?

Rofl-Mayo

Mar 11, 2010
Yeah I agree with Arkvoodle, that entire series was fucked straight from the beginning!

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Cool Air. Not really a book, but a short story by H.P. Lovecraft. Scared the ever living hell out of me and haunted my dreams for a long time.

Space Cowgirl

Oct 21, 2009
Dead Souls. Well, it's not scary as it is fucked the hell up. But I loved it the whole way through and I'll gladly read it again.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
A Clockwork Orange. It terrifies me that a person who clearly has a fluent understanding of English would write an entire book in a virtually unintelligible lingo of their own invention.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Celtic Predator said:
What's the scariest book you've ever read? What was the scariest moment of the book (passage, line, etcetera). Mine would have to be House of Leaves. It kept me up for days. Scariest passage (more of a poem)

"Little solace comes to those who grieve,
as thoughts keep drifting,
and walls keep shifting,
and this great blue world of ours,
seems a house of leaves,
moments before the wind."

So yeah, I definitely recommend the book. Now it's your turn.
One part in Golem's Eye by Jonathan Stroud (best book trilogy that I have read by the way), where some of the protagonists go to a tomb to rob it. THAT PART SACRED THE SHIT OUT OF ME!

I could almost see the carnage that happened there, feel the atmosphere of the moment...
That was a great part in a great book (it was the weakest book in the trilogy in my opinion, but it was a great book).

And so, I give you some of my favorite quotes of the whole trilogy:

AMULET OF SAMARKAND:
Bartimaeus "One magician demanded I show him an image of the love of his life. I rustled up a mirror."

GOLEM'S EYE:
Bartimaeus "What happened to Simpkin?"
Nathaniel "The foliot? Oh, he perished."
Bartimaeus "Tsk. That's a shame."
I meant this wholeheartedly. I'd been robbed of my revenge..

Bartimaeus "I wanted to wake you straightaway, but I knew I had to wait several hours to ensure you were safely recovered."
Nathaniel "What! How long has it been?"
Bartimaeus "Five minutes, I got bored."

PTOLEMY'S GATE:
Faquarl "Look at me now-what do you see?"
Bartimaeus "A murderous maniac in human form? A hideous amalgam of the worst of man and djinn? Erm... I'm going out on a limb here-a former foe looking at me with unexpected pity and good fellowship?"

Bartimaeus: "According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking."

Best books EVER made.

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
When I was young I was a sucker for those "true ghost stories" books and they scared the crap out of me. I blame that on youth.

I guess maybe The Shining - the bit where Danny is confronting Room 213. Anyone who has read it might know the bit I mean.