Whats the strangest book you've ever read?

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
I've just finished reading "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" by Haruki Murakami and the surrealism of it is incredible. This and "Kafka On The Shore" by Murakami again, got me wondering what other strange books are out there.

seidlet

Mar 5, 2009
the house of leaves. i'd never had to hold up my book to a mirror to read it before that one. the author's next book, only revolutions, is pretty fucked as well, but i haven't actually finished that one yet.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
piers789 said:
I've just finished reading "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" by Haruki Murakami and the surrealism of it is incredible. This and "Kafka On The Shore" by Murakami again, got me wondering what other strange books are out there.
Funnily enough, when I saw this thread, Kafka on the Shore is the first book that popped into my mind. That said, pretty much any fiction by Murakami would fit this category. Have you read "A Wild Sheep Chase" yet?

I'd also recommend Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Not exactly the strangest read (though the way it is written is quite different from the norm) but a damn good one and the concept was brilliant, I thought.

Dread_Reaper

Dec 4, 2008
Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin and Philip K. Dick's Man in the High Castle were both pretty out there. I would recommend them though.

-Dread_Reaper

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Spirits in the Wires was pretty weird, but kinda cool, in a very Shinto-esque style.
Well, at first. Then it just gets weird...

theSchlub

Mar 24, 2009
So far, "The Dunwich Horror" by HP Lovecraft. Then again, everything by HP lovecraft is like a balls-to-the-wall acid trip envisioned by Edgar allen poe wacked out on absinthe while outside naked at night in the middle of a winter storm with an angry squirrel chittering in his ear.

...ok, maybe not THAT crazy, but still pretty weird.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Second on 'House of Leaves'
'John Dies at the End' is pretty bizarre too, but in a fun way. It's like if Douglas Adams tried his hand at horror.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
The strangest book I ever read was in German class (it was called Frau Erdbeere, or "Ms. Strawberry"). My classmates and I couldn't read German all too well, and so we had a laugh as we read the text and came up with all this very strange and violent stuff (there's one part where we read that Ms. Strawberry cannibalizes her children, leaving only their heads behind so she can plant them in the ground to grow more children to eat).

Wanting to see what the story was really about, we confronted our German teacher. To our surprise, we read it almost entirely right. This is a children's picture book by the way. There were no graphic images, though (they were all actually very bright and cheerful). Crazy Germans!

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Weaveworld by Clive Barker, although I couldn't finish it.

It was about this word woven into a carpet and how people fell into it and all sorts of weird things along those lines... it was a little too boring and hard to read for me to finish it though.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
All of them.
They're like "What."
Best five book trilogy ever. Most books I've read are pretty understandable. My favorite is Crime and Punishment. The Hitchhikers Guide series is one of my favorites.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
"The Cipher" by Kathe Koja comes to mind.

Hard to pick a wierdest though.

>>>----Therumancer--->