What's the worst deal you've ever gotten on a game?

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
So I've seen a lot of threads recently about the best deal you've ever gotten when buying a video game, but I've never seen a thread about the opposite.

So tell me, Escapists: What is the worst deal you ever got on a video game? Did you pay double what you should have for a special edition of a crappy game? Did you find it for $50, buy it, and then see it for $20 elsewhere? Share it here!

For me, I bought Borderlands: GOTY on Steam for $25 (it was on sale from $50) in November or December of last year. I thought it was a great deal, since it comes with the base game and all the DLC, not to mention the Duke Nukem Forever First-Access Club key! So I bought it, played it for a little while, and then saw that the base price had been chopped down, and it was on sale for less than ten dollars.

Draksune

Aug 10, 2010
I paid $60 on steam for Brink, and it still doesn't work. So I didn't even get a coaster, just data on my HD that is not usable. /nerdrage

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It's happened a few times; I'll buy a relatively recent game used from Game Stop for their stock $54 or so, then turn around and WalMart has it on sale, NEW, for $40.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Assassin's Creed II Black Edition. 150 Australian dollars.
The extras I got were not worth the extra $20-50 I spent. Concept art, making of DVD, some DLC that was already on the disc and an Ezio figure. Game wasn't bad, but not worth $150.

ReaperGrimm

Jun 2, 2011
Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood was not a bad game i like it a lot just feel there should have been more for 60$

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
$60 for Kane and Lynch 2, the first full-priced game I'd bought in years. I'd beaten it and traded it in in less than 24 hours.

Month later they were selling it at my old store for $20.

Never again.

MAUSZX

May 7, 2009
Well. Little Big Planet, I bought it for 15 dollars i think and a week later a read the Welcome Back deal.....

Darksteel Mike

Mar 23, 2011
I bought Enter the Matrix. It was actually a little bit below fullprice , but it just turned out I had the wrong brand of graphics card to actually play the damn thing. And so it collected dust on my shelf til today when I threw it out.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I paid 60 for Turning Point: Fall of Liberty.

That was a huge mistake at any price.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Darksteel Mike said:
I bought Enter the Matrix. It was actually a little bit below fullprice , but it just turned out I had the wrong brand of graphics card to actually play the damn thing. And so it collected dust on my shelf til today when I threw it out.
Same thing happened to me with that game, thankfully I was able to return my copy though.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
I bought Dragon Age: Origins recently for 35$ only to find The Ultimate Edition (which includes the expansion pack and all the DLC) for 30$...in THE SAME STORE!

I'll admit, this is due to haste and stupidity on my part, but why would they even do that?

Happy Sock Puppet

Aug 10, 2010
After my trade-in and coupon from Amazon, I paid $15 dollars to play Dragon Age 2. Way too freakin' much.

On the good note, I sold my PS2 and a couple games at my local Vintage Stock, and bought Fallout 3 GOTY edition, Red Dead Redemption, and the first Mass Effect for $55 bucks. Hundreds of hours of gaming pleasure for little to nothing!

targren

May 13, 2009
A few years back I went into an RPG-collecting phase. I paid $125 for a near-mint copy of what was, at the time, a rare game (And not a very good one, either. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure).

Less than 2 months later, I find out that the game had been re-printed and was retailing for $29.99 new. I facepalmed so hard I nearly lost consciousness.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
I bought the Spore Galactic Edition.

*sobbing noises*

DAMN YOU WILL WRIIIIIIIGHT!