What's the Worst Fake British Accent You've Heard in a Film or TV Show?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I was watching an episode of 'Murder, She Wrote' earlier and in this episode the main character goes to England to meet a cousin or something. God was I not prepared for what was in store. I was nearly on the ground laughing throughout the whole episodes as to how bad the British accents were played off by all the other characters.

My guess was the majority of these actors were Americans with fake Brit accents, equip with words I'm not sure I've ever heard someone in the UK ever use before such as blimey, blighty, bloody, etc (why all the B words I do not know).

Anyhow, this rates alongside the most hilariously inaccurate Brit accents along with Dick Van Dyke in Merry Poppins. Now I have a few questions.

1.) what is everyone's top fav terrible fake Brit accent in a film or TV show?

2.) Thoughts from everyone (English and non-English) about what they think of this fantastic phenomenon that's been going on for only too many years. I for one used to be quite offended by American's faking Brit accents, but now I find them one of the most entertaining things in a film/ show.

Jamanticus

Sep 7, 2008
I'd say that Keanu Reeves had a hilariously bad fake accent in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

It was like during a line he'd start off thinking, 'Okay, I'm doing a totally triumphant British accent!' and then halfway through, he'd be thinking about something else and it'd start sounding half-something-else.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Terramax said:
I'm not sure I've ever heard someone in the UK ever use before such as blimey, blighty, bloody, etc (why all the B words I do not know).
Because we're British XD

I use blimey and bloody anyway!

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Terramax said:
I watched that too today :D (I was kinda bored), and yes the accents were quite bad, I didn't quite realise that they were suppose to be in England until there was a shot of a load of Red bus's.

The worse culprit has to be the Chimney sweep in Merry Poppins, I think he was trying to do a cockney accent possibly

TriggerUnhappy

Mar 4, 2009
Bert/The Chimney Sweeper (Dick Van Dyke) in Mary Poppins comes to mind....

I don't get how people can fuck up English accents so much though, it's a very slight change of pronunciation, you don't have to sound like you're a fuckin immigrant that just learned the English language. (I'm American by the way)

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
I love making fun of the stereotypical upperclass brit, and I always use phrases and words like "Tallyho!" and "Pip-pip!" Quite entertaining, of course, I have yet to meet a brit that speaks like that.

TurkeyProphet

Aug 18, 2009
I watched the Weatherman the other day. Michael Caine and Nicholas Hoult were for some reason playing Americans. It was really terrible. Especially with Caine being such a cockney.

I felt like crying.

As for bad English accents. Scarlett Johansson in the Prestige was pretty bad. But not too bad. Actually it was pretty good, it was jut noticeable she was putting it on.

Mel Gibson was not the greatest Scotsman ever either.

Faps

Jul 27, 2008
Whoever did the voice of Obi-wan in that awful Clone Wars cartoon movie.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
George144 said:
I watched that too today :D (I was kinda bored), and yes the accents were quite bad, I didn't quite realise that they were suppose to be in England until there was a shot of a load of Red bus's.
Haha, yeah, what really got me was the bit when she goes to Scotland Yard and there's a guy leaning back on his chair playing darts. Like that's what they really do at Scotland Yard, just sitting there........ wait a minute.

Love the link BTW-- SHTEP IN TYME!

This has a pretty weird cockney accent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu51vkm0SuQ&feature=channel_page

dragonflygirl

Apr 2, 2009
I Hate the fact that american films and TV always portray the English as either upperclass or cockney.
But it would be bloody funny if an american came to the UK for the first time and the first person he spoke to had a Liverpool or newcastle accent.
Or imagine an American Star atempting a liverpool or newcastle accent how funny and bad would it be.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
The guy in Green Street. Not Elijah Wood, the other main character who gets his head punched in. His cockney accent was pretty bad. it made some of his lines sound really forced :(

Still a great film though.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
dragonflygirl said:
I Hate the fact that american films and TV always portray the English as either upperclass or cockney.
But it would be bloody funny if an american came to the UK for the first time and the first person he spoke to had a Liverpool or newcastle accent.
Or imagine an American Star atempting a liverpool or newcastle accent how funny and bad would it be.
I think it's because both of those accents are predominant in the South, especially around the London area. Because our media is London centric, they're the accents that foreigners get exposed to the most, hence they're the most mimicked in yank films.

I think.

But yeah, an American faced with a strong scouse accent would probably think they were being spoken to in a different language haha. Then while they were districted, the scouser's mate would be stealing the car radio...

Clarkarius

Dec 21, 2008
chstens said:
I love making fun of the stereotypical upperclass brit, and I always use phrases and words like "Tallyho!" and "Pip-pip!" Quite entertaining, of course, I have yet to meet a brit that speaks like that.
Good luck with that plan, I've never heard anyone say Tallyho or Pip-pip in conversation in the 18 years i've lived in the UK, unless its a joke of course...

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Terramax said:
George144 said:
Haha, yeah, what really got me was the bit when she goes to Scotland Yard and there's a guy leaning back on his chair playing darts. Like that's what they really do at Scotland Yard, just sitting there........ wait a minute.

Love the link BTW-- SHTEP IN TYME!

This has a pretty weird cockney accent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu51vkm0SuQ&feature=channel_page
I have no idea what I just watched but it was hilarious

"give him the stick. Don't give him the stick!!"

Zosephine

Dec 4, 2008
The worst fake accent that I've ever heard is my own >_> I apologize to any Brits I've offended with it.