What's with all the hate towards Ant Man recently?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I can't think of a single thread in the past few weeks that involves the MCU that doesn't have someone post about how we need a movie about this character or that character and how Ant Man doesn't deserve to be coming out next year. As a general fan of Ant Man and Wasp who was angered by their movie being pushed back from 2010 to 2015 to make room for the god awful Iron Man 2, this just pisses me off.

I can understand people wanting to see a movie dedicated to their favourite characters or their most beloved team (what I wouldn't give to see an Alpha Flight or Vindicator movie), but for the love of god it's gotten to the point where people are arguing that 4 characters (as well as Wonder Woman, though that one is justified) deserve a movie more despite not being solo movie material [http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-superheroes-who-shouldve-gotten-movies-before-ant-man/].

I know that people want a superheroine movie, and for some reason people have latched on to Black Widow despite the fact that there are a lot of better female superheroes out there to work with for such a movie (and also being only known by mainstream audiences AFTER Ant Man was supposed to hit the screen).

But my point is: why is Ant Man, and only Ant Man, getting this treatment when no one seems to have made this complaint about the movies coming out before or after his?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Because most people don't like Ant Man. Hell, I don't like the idea of an Ant Man movie, he's a boring character.

You have Marvel do Guardians of the Galaxy, a movie full of weird and interesting characters doing weird and interesting things and then they follow that up with what? A guy who can grow and shrink, is super smart and communicates with ants. The Marvel cinematic universe already has 2 heroes who are super smart, and having a character that grows and shrinks at will just isn't particularly interesting. Ant Man doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table that other characters don't already have.

Now am I going to complain about Ant Man getting a movie? No, why would I? If Marvel thinks he's necessary then I guess he is, but I'm not excited to watch his movie, and there's a very good chance that I won't care enough to see it in theaters. If there's any Marvel movie that I expect to bomb, it's Ant Man.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Because most people don't like Ant Man. Hell, I don't like the idea of an Ant Man movie, he's a boring character.

You have Marvel do Guardians of the Galaxy, a movie full of weird and interesting characters doing weird and interesting things and then they follow that up with what? A guy who can grow and shrink, is super smart and communicates with ants. The Marvel cinematic universe already has 2 heroes who are super smart, and having a character that grows and shrinks at will just isn't particularly interesting. Ant Man doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table that other characters don't already have.

Now am I going to complain about Ant Man getting a movie? No, why would I? If Marvel thinks he's necessary then I guess he is, but I'm not excited to watch his movie, and there's a very good chance that I won't care enough to see it in theaters. If there's any Marvel movie that I expect to bomb, it's Ant Man.
This.
I feel exactly the same way. I have simply never been interested in Ant-Man and I imagine that this will be the first MCU movie since the Incredible Hulk that I will not go and see but unlike the last Hulk movie I will not watch it on dvd/blu ray either.

After the way that Marvel nailed Guardiens of the Galaxy (and they really did nail it!) I would have much preferd a Doctor Strange movie next year and then Ms Marvel in Strange's current release date in 2016. Strange would allow them do do something new and different (just as they did with GotG) and Ms Marvel would then give them the perfect way to bring both the GotG and The Avengers together in time for Avengers 3: Thanos showdown (or whatever they call it).

That being said, as Doc Strange is reponsable for protecting the entire universe I guess he would also be a good way of linking the GotG and the Avengers but I want a Ms Marvel movie damn it (tho not as much as Doc Strange).

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm not gonna lie, he sounds really boring. A man who can change size... cool? I mean, when I read his wiki page to learn more about him, it appears he has no other power besides changing his size. Does he even have super strength or does he just have really impressive martial skills? He just sounds lame.

I'd rather a new X-men or Fantastic Four movie to get them involved in that universe.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Elfgore said:
I'm not gonna lie, he sounds really boring. A man who can change size... cool? I mean, when I read his wiki page to learn more about him, it appears he has no other power besides changing his size. Does he even have super strength or does he just have really impressive martial skills? He just sounds lame.
When he shrinks he keeps the strength he has as a person, so he does in a way have super strength since. It's how, in Avengers #1, he managed to lift Loki despite being the size of an ant (Loki thought he was hovering because of something invisible).

Really I don't see how the concept is any more boring then the none-powered agent everyone is yammering should replace him.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
In addition to being a boring character, there's also the fact that the movie seems like kind of a disaster.
I trust Edgar Wright. If he wanted to get the hell away from this project, I do too.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:

/thread.

Right here, ant man is not an interesting character. He's god damned ant man, there are literally, an infinite number of better marvel heroes to make a movie about, including ones that haven't been made up yet. I'm not going to complain about ant man being made, but it is the first marvel movie I will not watch.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Elfgore said:
I mean, when I read his wiki page to learn more about him, it appears he has no other power besides changing his size.
Oh no, his helmet also lets him telepathically control ants.

Are you impressed yet?

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Zontar said:
I can't think of a single thread in the past few weeks that involves the MCU that doesn't have someone post about how we need a movie about this character or that character and how Ant Man doesn't deserve to be coming out next year. As a general fan of Ant Man and Wasp who was angered by their movie being pushed back from 2010 to 2015 to make room for the god awful Iron Man 2, this just pisses me off.

I can understand people wanting to see a movie dedicated to their favourite characters or their most beloved team (what I wouldn't give to see an Alpha Flight or Vindicator movie), but for the love of god it's gotten to the point where people are arguing that 4 characters (as well as Wonder Woman, though that one is justified) deserve a movie more despite not being solo movie material [http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-superheroes-who-shouldve-gotten-movies-before-ant-man/].

I know that people want a superheroine movie, and for some reason people have latched on to Black Widow despite the fact that there are a lot of better female superheroes out there to work with for such a movie (and also being only known by mainstream audiences AFTER Ant Man was supposed to hit the screen).

But my point is: why is Ant Man, and only Ant Man, getting this treatment when no one seems to have made this complaint about the movies coming out before or after his?
Kind of wish you hadn't said "God awful Iron Man 2" when it really wasn't.

Personally, I know nothing about the character except that I think the Ultimate version is the wife beater. At least that's what I primarily know Ant-man for. I haven't really read comics and didn't start until Avengers and TDKR happened at relatively the same time both companies were doing line wide relaunches. Still I have gotten a gist of what most of the main stays are and what they are famous for. Ant-man though I do feel deserves a movie unto himself almost simply for the fact that he is part of the original founding members of The Avengers.

If I had read comics or knew his comics I'm sure I'd find the stuff that would make a compelling movie. Even if they are taking out a major part of his contribution to Marvel villainy.

On the super heroine movie front it is rather embarrassing that the closest thing we've gotten to a live action, female led, superhero movie is Lucy. A Black Widow movie could be fun. They've hinted at enough stuff that if they did a "past comes back to haunt you" thing like they did with Iron Man 2 and 3 it could be good because we've seen how good they can make spy thrillers work. What I'm waiting for honestly is the day when they stop doing the solo movies and Avengers movies and decide to do duo movies. I know Winter Soldier kind of did it but I essentially want Marvel to do what DC is doing with Batman v. Superman. Namely take just two of their characters, give them top billing in the title, and then make a movie focusing on just those two heroes instead of a group or individual.

The Black Widow/Hawkeye movie needs to happen so that you can appease fans and also so that you can stop just shoving Hawkeye in there as "Oh he's a special S.H.I.E.L.D. agent like Black Widow so that's why he's here and has a nickname."

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Count me in as someone who's interested in the movie but more because of the supposed heist-plot it's supposed to have. I don't really know or care about Antman but that goes for every single superhero now on the silver screen before I saw their movie. I'm expecting this movie to change my mind on him if it's good.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Because, to quote Aquaman: shrinking's a power, but it's kind of sad.

He's just not a terribly interesting character. The only things he's really notable for are shrinking and beating his wife. I guess he could become the Avengers' genius super-scientist after RDJ leaves, but you still have Bruce Banner to fill that role. Frankly, the only reason I cared about the Ant-Man movie was because of Edgar Wright's involvement, and how that he's out I have no reason to be invested any more.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
I really don't know anything about Ant Man, other than the things I read in threads such as these.

BUT! I love Paul Rudd, and he's in it. I just hope they let him be all Paul Rudd-y, with his dry sarcasm and perfect deadpan.
Won't see this in cinema, but I'm sure as hell am gonna rent it when it's out.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I cant wait for Antman - and i havnt read comics in 12 years, and even then it was mainly Image comics. Thing about Antman is that its different, there is a ton of amazing original stuff they could do with a character that can shrink and grow. It will be something different. Same as why i cant wait for a Dr Strange movie - love that it adds something new to the mix...magic. Something different to the usual. Its why GotG is awesome as its in space and has Groot and Rocket which is totally different to your usual popular heroes like Batman, Superman and Ironman etc.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Genocidicles said:
Are you impressed yet?
Not gonna lie, a wall of ants devouring bad guys and carrying the innocent en masse to safety would be brilliant, like some tiny six legged tsunami, with big old jaws.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
So it seems that people don't like Ant Man for his unimpressive power set. Honestly, I kinda like Ant Man. After that whole Age of Ultron thing I thought that he was the most likeable and interesting character in the Avengers roster.

But I don't think that he can single-handedly carry a movie. I think that a lot of the appeal in someone like Ant Man would be how he interacts with everyone else. He's a great team player, but on his own I don't think he can hold down a whole movie.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Ant Man is a really good character with a very bad name. People are extremely shallow and can't get past the name. End of story.

Oct 30, 2010
People like Edgar Wright, Disney Marvel is a scary, faceless, giant corporation.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Hmmm, people keep saying that Ant-man's powers are "not interesting".

Guy can shrink. He can grow. He can telepathically control ants. (That last one is kind of terrifying when you think about it....)
This compared to one of the successful mainstays of the MCU whose power set is "gets big and smashes things".

Ant-man actually has an impressive and interesting power-set, his problem is that he doesn't *resonate* with the audience.

I mean come on, how many of us have never fantasized about getting much stronger and smashing someone/something that really pissed us off? Anyone?

The MCU has made a franchise from characters that people want to *be*. What guy wouldn't want to be Tony Stark with his billions of dollars, getting all the chicks, making an awesome battle-suit to kick ass in... it's a power fantasy. (Arguably a specifically male power fantasy but that's a whole other discussion.)

Not nearly as many people are going to want to fantasize about being Hank Pym. An Ant-man movie certainly has potential, but it's gonna be a harder sell.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Little Woodsman said:
Hmmm, people keep saying that Ant-man's powers are "not interesting".

Guy can shrink. He can grow. He can telepathically control ants. (That last one is kind of terrifying when you think about it....)
This compared to one of the successful mainstays of the MCU whose power set is "gets big and smashes things".

Ant-man actually has an impressive and interesting power-set, his problem is that he doesn't *resonate* with the audience.

I mean come on, how many of us have never fantasized about getting much stronger and smashing someone/something that really pissed us off? Anyone?

The MCU has made a franchise from characters that people want to *be*. What guy wouldn't want to be Tony Stark with his billions of dollars, getting all the chicks, making an awesome battle-suit to kick ass in... it's a power fantasy. (Arguably a specifically male power fantasy but that's a whole other discussion.)

Not nearly as many people are going to want to fantasize about being Hank Pym. An Ant-man movie certainly has potential, but it's gonna be a harder sell.
Depending on the comic, sometimes he can control any insect. He can summon every wasp in a mile radius to come and swarm, covering his opponent in a 3 inch layer of madly stinging wasps.

Plus, when he shrinks he retains the strength of a full size human. Anyone who has ever read a Tiffany Aching novel knows how badass that makes a person.