What's your default starting difficulty?

pulse2

May 10, 2008
When you start playing a game for the first time, what difficulty do you start it on? Easy, Normal or Hard? (This can depend on whether or not you are playing a sequel or a game similar to another)

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
Normal usually. Unless its an RTS or TBS, then its typically easy, I love those games but I'm terrible at them.

Shreder55

Jul 1, 2009
Depends on the game, if its a sequel I will use the same difficulty I played the last one.

If its a new game I'll play what the game tells me to play.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Usually normal. Unless it's an RTS or fighting game, then easy. I enjoy them, but I'm terrible at them.

Mr_Universal

Jun 29, 2009
Strategy? easy until I have figured everything out, then normal. Normal shooters? As hard as it can get, and if I end up just bashing my head into a wall, I try a bit longer, and when the bleeding starts, I may lower the difficulty xD

Takuanuva

Jun 12, 2011
Well, usually Normal, sometimes hard or an equivalent of it, Legendary for Halo titles.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
First time playing, easy.
Then I replay again on normal.
Couple of months later I try on Hardest difficulty.

That's my basic plan...

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I start on Hard. Part of the fun is being challenged for me. I understand people who just want to breeze through casually and enjoy the story, though. Hell, my current New Vegas game is set on easy (or Normal...I forget. My character is level 43 now, though. So it's easy at this point by default). Though my first playthrough of it was Hard and Hardcore.

But I almost never try the hardest difficulties.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Depends on the game. Usually I start on normal, but games I suck at (hack & slash, RTS) I start on easy.

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
depends on the game, if its a RTS easy or normal, but if it's a FPS i start on hard or harder if possible, like veteran on CoD.

also games like oblivion where it takes 100 hits to kill someone the first levels until you get better equipment i start low and up the difficulity as i progress

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Usually Hard if a higher difficulty exists. If Hard is the highest difficulty and I'm playing a type of game that I'm completely unfamiliar with, I'll do Normal.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Normal the first time around as I like the play the game the way the developer intended it to be, then go for the harder one.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Hard as balls!

Unless it's a horror game
Then I'll do Easy, failing that Baby mode.
_>

Screw horror!

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Usually normal unless I've read many reviews saying that Hard is the only way to get a challenge.

I don't like jumping into Hard mode then having to restart on Normal because I bit off more than I could chew.

Besides... Going from Normal to Hard creates more re-playability if you enjoy the game.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Hard difficulty, unless the game is known for being extremely hard on the lower settings, like Ninja Gaiden.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Normal, because Hard often warps the gameplay experience just as much as Easy does, only in different ways - e.g. on Easy you never ever come close to running out of ammo for any of your weapons, on Hard you run out in the first fight.