What's your default starting difficulty?

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
New to the series, Normal.

Played Previous games of the series, whatever's above normal.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Watever the easiest one is. I usually go for that.

Because even on Casual in ME2, I'm getting killed a lot.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Usually normal, unless it's a sequel of a game, then I'll play it on the last difficulty I played it there, which would probably be hard.

But if it's a fighting game, it'll most likely be easy. >_>

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Normal unless it's S.T.A.L.K.E.R. easy in that case. In game series I love, such as Tales of Vesperia and Super Smash Bros. Brawl I just put it on the hardest difficulty I can or second hardest.

ShakerSilver said:
Usually normal, unless it's a sequel of a game, then I'll play it on the last difficulty I played it there, which would probably be hard.

But if it's a fighting game, it'll most likely be easy. >_>

Seems like I am the victim of one stealthy ninja.

3LANCER

Sep 11, 2008
Normal. Except in games where it's a know fact that even normal is too easy, then I pick Hard.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Normal

If it turns out to be too hard for me on that setting (which is rare), I'll lower it, likely because at that point I simply want to finish the game or finish the story I've become invested into.

Sometimes I'll increase the difficulty if normal is too easy that I'm feeling bored.

The only exception to this has been Fallout: New Vegas, which I ran on "Hardcore" the first time through, because its VASTLY more fun like that.

L3W15 M

Jul 28, 2011
Hard. Unless it ruins story by frustrating you every 2 seconds then move down to normal

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
If it's a plot oriented game, or something with a lot of scripted events where it's better if you keep up the pacing, then I will play on normal the first time, so I don't ruin the experience with frequent deaths. If if isn't that kind of game, or it's a game I've already beaten once before, then I will up the difficulty to the max for a challenge.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Depends on how many difficulties there are. If there's the basic Easy, Normal, Hard, I go for Normal; but in the case of, for example, Halo, and there's Easy, Normal, Heroic and Legendary, I go for Heroic, and do Legendary later (also applies to Recruit, Regular, Hardened, and Veteran in CoD).
In sum, I go for the one a step below the hardest.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
I usually go one difficulty setting up from normal, but not the highest setting.

I'll go back down a difficulty if it's too hard, but I will never go below normal. I'll usually quit the game before going below normal.

sune-ku

Cynical optimist
Mar 25, 2009
I tend to go one down from the hardest - usually 'hard' if there's 4 options or 'medium' if there's 3. I like my challenges (and it makes games last longer) but also want to leave something for a second play through.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Usually normal. I like to work my way into a game.

Mass Effect 2 is fucking brutal, though. I'm only on hardcore and the husks are gangraping me. :c

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
I usually go for hard I like the challenge but if it too tough I will knock it down to normal, if theres more than the big 3 I go fo the second hardest since in games like that the hardest difficulty is usually ridiculous.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Most of the time normal, then will move onto a different difficulty once I beat it.

RetardedKitty

May 17, 2011
It depends.
Long time ago I just started to believe that 'Normal' difficulty is how the game was intended to work and how the game was made to work for proper experience, as the difficulty it self says 'Normal'
But it depends on the game for example Alan Wake, I know that for a lot of people that game was a disappointment but I loved the plot and the game it self so much before i even got it that i decided to start playing it on Hard from beginning and then i jumped to Nightmare and personally i wasn't disappointed because i decided to make the 'complete mission without using weapon' achievements on Easy level and they were so easy as just pure boring.

So usually Normal
Some game on hardest difficulty possible.
Very rarely on Easy

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Normal, I prefer to learn the ropes in a game at its default setting. I'm boring that way. I will often set the difficulty up if I'm breezing through the game, though... but if I'm dying left and right, I continue to slug through it. I don't do easy.

Peter Whitmore

Jul 1, 2011
I usually always start on Normal difficulty. It's what the designers intended, right? If it's a rhythm game, I started on the lowest level of difficulty and work my way up.

And to all the people saying they play FPSes on the highest difficulty, I'd like to see you play Serious Sam on Mental difficulty.