What's your default starting difficulty?

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Normal. So I have the challenge but can focus on the story. The the hardest then the easiest.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Usually the easiest setting. If I don't start on the easiest, I will eventually switch to it.
I like getting the story quickly. Unfortunately, sometimes it means I don't get any better and any harder game will stuff me up on the easiest setting.
Dragon Age 2 is doing that to me right now. I'm stuck on a side mission, on casual.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
Again, depends on the game.

More then often though It'll be normal mode, even on a few games that I know I'm not good at. After that if I decide to play through again I lean one of three ways based on my experience.

If I found the game easy and fun to play and it's a genre I really enjoy I switch to hard.

If I never fully mastered the game, but feel like playing it again, I play again on normal.

In the rare case I loved the story to death and was ok with the gameplay I may switch to easy just to feel like a badassProviding the Easy mode doesn't involve hand holding. while I get to experience the story faster then the first time.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I always go for the default option, or if I have to choose one, then I go for 'Medium' or 'Normal'. Basically, that gives me a challenge while not being too difficult, and I can always replay it on 'Hard' or 'Legendary' or whatever later if I need to for Achievements or whatever :p

swenson

Sep 5, 2009
Normal. And I refuse to change it. (the sole exception to that so far was once or twice in Dragon Age Origins in some particularly hard fights, but I only changed it for those and ultimately finished the game on normal difficulty)

In a game like Mass Effect where there's more than just three difficulties (in ME, I think it goes Easy/Normal-for-people-who-haven't-played-FPSes-before/Veteran-if-you-have/Hardcore/Insanity), I'll take the one that's just above normal. I like a bit of a challenge. But I typically leave it at that and don't bump it up to anything higher except for achievements.

PissOffRoth

Jun 29, 2010
Depends on the game. Shooters I pick the hardest because that's the only difficulty that offers any kind of challenge. Other games with an actual learning curve, I start on the middle-most difficulty and work up from there.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
I usually start at normal. The game is (i think) generally balanced at this difficulty.

Unless its a STALKER/Crysis game, where i play on master/Delta.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
The one between normal and hard. If that doesn't exist, then I just go with normal.

Amdor6

Aug 2, 2011
In case of RPGs, FPSs, action games and similar I always start on Normal. Not that I'm a hardcore tr00 pl4yer, but unchallenging games are getting boring fast, and I almost never have trouble keeping up on the default medium setting.
There are exceptions, however· Playing through Dragon Age I found myself more times than I would like to in the uneasy situation when a fight was too hard on Normal.
On the other hand, I beat Mass Effect on Insanity and found it not very challenging. ME2, I beat on Insanity twice.
In strategies, I usually begin on a lower difficulty setting, to get accustomed with mechanics, than gradually raise the bar.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Easy. Only with a few games that I've started out with Normal when I'm after a slight challenge. Mainly play games for mindless fun. Pulling my hair because I struggled to the end and can't beat the last boss isn't fun for me.
When I've finished a game on Easy or Normal I always bring the difficulty setting up one step the next time I play it however.

As a side note; I recently finished Rise of the Argonauts on the hardest difficulty setting and was amazed that it was just as easy as when I played on the easiest setting. Perhaps the developers just sucked at the difficulty curve, but it has made a bit more open to try harder settings.

ScorpSt

Mar 18, 2010
Usually normal, but if I start having problems, I'll switch to easy. I don't usually go for higher difficulties until I get the hang of normal.

busters

Aug 5, 2011
Usually normal, cause I assume that's how the game developers want the game to be played. If it turns out to be a little too easy/hard for me, I adjust the difficulty accordingly.

Rodin

Mar 26, 2011
Hardest available.
Reasons:
I like a challenge for 1.

If I don't particularly like the game I only have to play through it once to get the achievements (in most cases(Dark Sector be damned!))

Finally, If I DO like the game I can then play through it again on a low difficulty absorbing the story as best I can.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Easy.

I'm lazy & don't like to be challenged, plus I hate anything that stinks of bravado or machismo.

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
I always start on medium. No questions asked...except for when I first started playing Guitar Hero, because I wasn't good enough for medium. ^_^

I did like how Infamous starts you on medium, and while you can change it at any point in the game, if you're doing really good, it changes you to hard and if you're doing bad, it changes you to easy. : )

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
FPS games... Usually 1 down from hardest.
RTS games... Usually normal.
RPG games... Usually normal.
Other games... Usually normal.

Will often kick it up though.