What's your favorite Harvest Moon game?

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
ninja666 said:
Harvest Moon 64. A lot of people are probably gonna be surprised why I like it, when there's Back To Nature. Well, I liked HM64 more because of the atmosphere. The town, while smaller, felt more alive, the NPCs weren't just reused assets mixed up for more variety, and the game touched some not-so-family-friendly topics like alcoholism and child abuse.
You. I like you.

My fav is also Harvest Moon 64, I remember the countless hours playing it years back, I even managed to "Beat it" (Aka when they inspect the farm and all, it was a big suprirse for me back then)

Thankfully I was married, with a kid (Team Karin FTW) and had everything nice and neat.

Also I liked how I can leave the animals outside and build a wood fence, it was nice.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Packadurm said:
When it comes to Harvest Moon, what's your preference? What about your favorite makes it your favorite? What do you not like about other HM games?

I recently picked up Harvest Moon 2 from the 3DS eShop, which I used to play as a kid. It was fun for awhile, but it hasn't aged well. I also had a lot of fun with a Harvest Moon game on the game cube, but I can't remember what it was called. Basically, I'm looking for help in picking which Harvest Moon game for the 3ds I should get!
I quote you not to get your attention, but because I love you for posting this. If we were to meet IRL I would hold you close to bosom and let you know how much I thank you for this.

Anyways, what ISN'T my favorite Harvest Moon game!?!?!?!

I love all the new Harvest Moon games out right now (A New Beginning, Animal Parade, Tree of Tranquility) and I'm a huge fan of the Rune Factory series (I just think that there is a lot more that could be done with it like picking your own race and that race having its own story, or have the plot being a settler and having your settlement go from a po-dunk farming town on the wild frontier to a thriving city).

I haven't played any of the Harvest Moon games for Playstation 2 or PS1, my first experience with Harvest Moon was actually from a Gameboy Color (WHY DID THE COW KEEP DYING? AND WHY DOES THE PRIEST HATE ME!?). I was always sort of put off by the Playstation Harvest Moon games because I did go meta and found out that they "ended" and that reaching the ending for some of them was sort of quick, too quick for me!

I REALLY love taking my time with games like Harvest Moon because of how pleasant and sort of "mind-numbing" it is. Whenever someone asks me about Harvest Moon I just tell 'em that it's a precursor to Minecraft. (We don't talk about the newest one, that does not exist.)

I'm excited for Story of Seasons, and I love how the art in that game has been evolving lately. I hope that it keeps on with the mechanic of rebuilding the town like the last few, I always found those fun.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I've only played the Magical Melody on the Wii which I enjoyed quite a bit to honest.
Replayed it several times and got pretty many years forward at one point, was quite some time ago though :p

Packadurm

Jun 7, 2011
Thanks for all the discussion! It really helped. Today I went out and managed to find a used Tale of Two Towns. My only other option was The Lost Valley, which some of you warned me against, and since it was the same price I only really had the one option. Going to play it now!

And while I initially didn't know anything about Rune Factory, if it's a spin off then it certainly counts for my original question. I'll definitely be on the look out for a copy on the 3ds, since from what I've heard it sounds like a ton of fun!

Jiggle Counter

Sep 18, 2014
Harvest Moon is an odd game for me.

I love the series, I've played all of them, and I'll buy the next one regardless of its review.

However, Harvest Moon is the only game I'll find myself playing for HOURS, even if I'm bored out of my brains from playing it, OR if I have real-life responsibilities to attend to.

That being said, I love all the Harvest Moon games, especially the Rune Factory spin offs.

The one I loved the most is Friends Of Mineral Town. It was the first title (at the time) where the world felt alive. NPCs had stuff to do, you'd see them wandering from destination to destination. There'd be horse racing, awesome festivals, it had more special cut scenes than I'd ever seen in a Harvest Moon title.