What's your favorite song from a genre you don't like?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
TheBobmus said:
I'd call it metal. An instrumental refers to a song you've taken the singing out of.
It's not it's just any song without vocals.

TheBobmus said:
Hip-hop without rap came first. It exists without it, and it's easier to separate the two by name.
The thing is though it didn't. Rap precedes hip-hop by quite a big margin and rapping isn't just used in hip-hop, it's used in a bunch of other genres too.

TheBobmus said:
Screaming is a technique used over metal songs, just like rapping is used over hip-hop.
Exactly, which is why it's not a genre just like 'singing' is not a genre.

TheBobmus said:
The very fact that you understand what I mean by 'screamo' means that the screaming does in fact denote it to its own subgenre.
That still doesn't make it a genre though. It's an important element yes, but the screaming alone does not become it's own genre because of it.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Hazy992 said:
Right, so basically you say that rap is just a style that can be used over lots of types of song, and therefore when people say they like rap they mean they like hip-hop?

I disagree. I dislike rap in general because I usually find it to be intrusive in a song, I don't dislike hip-hop for its beat. I think that people say they like rap because they like the style of people talking over music, not just like the hip-hop beat.

To say that we shouldn't make a distinction from rap and other music seems crazy to me, the fact that we have a specific word for it - 'rap' - means that it is worthy of its own classification. We can say it's not a genre or whatever, but it's still a thing. And we can say that we dislike that thing.

But yeah, now I get where you were coming from.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
TheBobmus said:
Right, so basically you say that rap is just a style that can be used over lots of types of song, and therefore when people say they like rap they mean they like hip-hop?
Usually yes because for some reason people use the terms interchangeably when they're not.

TheBobmus said:
I disagree. I dislike rap in general because I usually find it to be intrusive in a song, I don't dislike hip-hop for its beat. I think that people say they like rap because they like the style of people talking over music, not just like the hip-hop beat.
If someone says they like rap they probably mean they like hip-hop. If those terms are going to be used interchangeably then if someone likes the technique they should say they like rapping.

TheBobmus said:
To say that we shouldn't make a distinction from rap and other music seems crazy to me, the fact that we have a specific word for it - 'rap' - means that it is worthy of its own classification. We can say it's not a genre or whatever, but it's still a thing. And we can say that we dislike that thing.
The point I was making is that the terms I use are the technical terms and the OP just made a common mistake in calling hip-hop rap.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Hazy992 said:
TheBobmus said:
If someone says they like rap they probably mean they like hip-hop. If those terms are going to be used interchangeably then if someone likes the technique they should say they like rapping.
Hard to tell really. They might like rap - this would mean they don't like hip-hop without rap, and they like rap when it's over stuff that isn't hip-hop.
I'd personally rather assume they meant what they said than presume they were simply mistaken in their choice of wording.

TheBobmus said:
The point I was making is that the terms I use are the technical terms and the OP just made a common mistake in calling hip-hop rap.
I don't think so. I think the OP simply meant he doesn't like people rapping in his music...

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
TheBobmus said:
Hard to tell really. They might like rap - this would mean they don't like hip-hop without rap, and they like rap when it's over stuff that isn't hip-hop.
I'd personally rather assume they meant what they said than presume they were simply mistaken in their choice of wording.
People do it so often though that when I hear people say 'I like rap' I assume they mean 'I like hip-hop'.

TheBobmus said:
I don't think so. I think the OP simply meant he doesn't like people rapping in his music...
Well he said he 'hated' rap, which lead me to assume he meant hip-hop, because he probably doesn't know that much about the genre as he doesn't listen to it. Plus there's the fact he actually said rap was a genre.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Before we get completly derailed

Logiclul said:
I normally hate rap, but Lose Yourself by Eminem is too good to discriminate.
that song got me into rap when I was a kid...then I discovered the good stuff