What's your favourite edition of DnD?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I grew up on 1e and 2e AD&D, had to play some 4e with friends when it was new, and have played exclusively 5e since it released.

I have a lot of nostalgia for 2e. There's a lot of jank to it; people like to scapegoat the "bad" math (people way over-exaggerate the difficulty of THAC0), but the actual rules that clash with sensibility, then and now, are race, class, and alignment restrictions. Some grognards like to gripe that complaints in those directions are the result of modern snowflake think that everybody should be able to make whatever character they want without restriction, but even back then plenty of folks chafed at the restrictions, and you had things like "antipaladins" for playable evil paladins in magazines. Where 2e really shines is the amount of truly flavorful content that got made for it, along with some of the most imaginative and weird game settings to that point or since. Not the mainstays of Faerun, Dragonlance, or poor forgotten Greyhawk, but Darksun (a desert world where magic requires sacrificing HP, and psionics are the dominant supernatural force, druids are the dominant religious force, and the rarity of iron is such that things like fragile obsidian are the mainstays of weapon material, oh and also there's some bug guys hopping around), Spelljammer (fly sailing ships through space to battle beholder space-pirates and journey between all the different DnD worlds), and Planescape (I'm not even gonna try summing up Planescape). Every character class gets an expansion book, which gives them reams and reams of customization options, all of which notably have roleplaying guides and several of which have flaws which are expected to be roleplayed. People say what they want about roleplaying and D&D and how systems encourage or discourage roleplay and the benefits and implications thereof. My experience is that out of all of D&D, 2e, despite all its restrictions on how you can create your character, is the edition that most expects and directly prods you to roleplay that character, which is hardly the prevailing view on how people think of old school D&D.

So when I run 2e (and when my old group used to play it and somebody else ran it), I just houserule things to take out the jank. No class restrictions from your chosen race. You can play unusual alignments for a class if you can incorporate it into your backstory and show you'll roleplay by it in the first few sessions (I make any paladins come up with their own sworn code, no matter their deity or alignment, that they have to live by). We don't use those tables that modify your to-hit chances based on the type of damage your weapon deals vs the type of armor that's being attacked. And I reserve direct control to modify splatbook options, cuz back then, the company that made D&D was being run by a woman that... to be charitable, didn't really understand games, and thought play-testing was gaming on company time, so forbid it. So there's some funky and broken options out there. The tradeoff from dealing with jank is a really imaginative, character focused atmosphere. 5e tries to recapture some of that, but its too... modern. Part of the charm of old school D&D is the imaginative weirdness from being a blended mix of all the pulp fantasy from the 1910's to 1970's that its creators loved and threw together. With 3e and the Wizards of the Coast acquisition, DnD largely abandoned the weird and kept to modern high fantasy and Tolkien, which feels a lot more sterile.

I've never played 3e and its variants myself on tabletop. I've played some videogames adapting the ruleset, and I've heard and read stories about it for years and years. I fundamentally dislike systems that start the game with rolls of d20+5 and go up to d20+65. I dislike systems that enables and passively encourages "efficient" builds and tier list of classes. Yeah yeah, 2e had the quadratic wizards and whatever, it was a ***** and a half to ever get a character capable of making reality their plaything, and if a player is able to put up with it enough to get there, fucking let them! 3.5e and Pathfinder just seem to revolve around all sorts of player creation options which certainly allows you to create anything you want, but then doesn't really funnel you into roleplaying anything with that. You can roleplay, and plenty of people do, and quite a few of those people probably value absolute freedom of expression, but I like it when a system provides you with a focus to direct you. Cuts down on characters that come down to "lol so random", cuts down on people who only play to make killing machines.

I'm not gonna talk much about 4e. I never liked it from day 1. "4e is tabletop WoW" became a meme that 4e fans are derisive of these days, but that was my genuine feeling back when I first read and played it: it felt like videogame design in tabletop. And combat was easily the worst it'd ever been for D&D. I know I just got finished talking about making characters be more than efficient killing machines, but the mark of good D&D combat (if not tabletop combat in general) is actually how efficient it is. In terms of character options. Don't give every class a god damn laundry list of situational abilities for each player to sort through and decide among each and every turn. The accumulative wasted minutes easily add hours of padding where most of the players are passive observers for the 90% of the time it isn't their turn. The key to good tabletop RPG is player acting and initiative, and quite conversely to most expectations, combat is actually where players have the least amount of that due to breaking up the action into turns and having to go in order. 4e was so, so horrendous in that regard. It should have been released as a miniatures wargame rather than a roleplaying game.

Finally, 5e. I talked some shit about modern D&D up above, but 5e is all I play these days. Just because it's simple and painless. DM doesn't need to expend effort to rebalance things if they don't want to, unlike 2e where its a requirement. People get enough character customization and options to satisfy most (or at least a lot of) people while still keeping those options simple enough that combat doesn't become too much of a joyless slog. There's a whole section of nothing but setting up backstories and making everybody at the table come up with some character traits and motivations and history. It's not perfect. The fantasy feels somewhat sterile. The character building feels pretty gamey. It kind of has a diluted version of all the strengths and all the weaknesses of all editions of D&D, which averages out somewhere to "pretty fun".

5e is all I recommend people who want to start playing D&D. It was built specifically to reinvigorate the game after a lot of player base burnt out and dwindled in the twilight of the 3.5e and 4e years. It does it's job reasonably well. Its probably the edition of D&D that is the easiest to master, even if that means it doesn't have the most options or isn't the most flexible.

Drathnoxis said:
Kyrian007 said:
And for those who just want the best one ever made there is Pinnacle's original Deadlands.
So what makes it so good and how does it differ from DnD?
When people start talking about a "best" game and it isn't a generic system, but one with a defined genre and setting, really they're usually big fans of that genre and setting, and that game has the best ruleset for that genre and setting. Deadlands, which I've never played but which I know is "popular" (in that it's a big name in the small pond of "tabletop roleplay systems that aren't D&D, GURPS, or Fate"), is a setting that blends Wild West with spooky horror supernatural stuff. "Weird West" is typically what that sub-subgenre is called.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Drathnoxis said:
So there's 5 editions of DnD now, how do you even decide which one to play? Is the newest one the best and most refined or have they just been messing things around for 4 versions? I've only played 2 sessions of 3.5 a couple years ago but I'm curious what other Escapists like best.
I feel like I should answer this question more directly. 1e to 2e D&D was a new edition, itself a continuation of a single game system perpetuated across 15-20ish years. It refined rules and added more content. 2e D&D to 3e D&D was a new game, and it's been like that for edition changes ever since. Certain motifs, styles, and objects are perpetuated between editions since 2e, but they all have new rules to describe their relationships with each other in each new system. Adventures, encounters, and characters are not cross-compatible between editions after 2e; you have to remake them within each new system. Therefore it's better to think of them as different games which follow the same themes (and with the Forgotten Realms setting's narrative being the default "D&D story" for most of the game's existence at this point).

All the games have different sensibilities in design and imagination. People's favorite is usually whatever they start with and learn the ropes to. Unless they started with 4e. Zing!

Aug 31, 2012
Only ever played much of 2nd ed, so I guess I'd have to say that was my favourite. Lots of supplemental material and sourcebooks. That sort of stuff has always been my favourite part of RPGs in terms of the pre written material, the worldbuilding element.
ThAC0 wasn't too bad, it was very simple maths...but at the same time the simplicity of the "fix" makes you wonder WhyTF they didn't just implement that fix in the rules so your brain didn't have to take the extra step.

I did play one game of actual old school 1st ed DnD as opposed to ADnD but it was a single session.

Played a few computer rpgs with 3rd/3.5 ruleset but obviously hard to compare pnp to crpg. I did read the ruleset and I think making the whole thing internally consistent was the best change for me, the old non combat proficiencies of 2nd ed looked a whole lot better when changed and resovled in a similar fashion mechanically to combat.

Never played or even looked at anything beyond that.

As to OP, I would go with 5th edition. As I've said, I've never played it but it seems to be well regarded and it's currently supported so should be easier to find games etc.

Finally: WHFRP 1st/2nd ed. til death! DEEEAAAATH!

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Drathnoxis said:
SupahEwok said:
Thanks for making such a detailed post. That was helpful. Have you played Pathfinder? How would you compare that?
I have not played Pathfinder. I hope to play Kingmaker, a cRPG adapting Pathfinder rules into a videogame, someday when grad school gives me some time. You could try to play that for some exposure to the system, although don't expect a 1-to-1 correlation between tabletop rules and a videogame adaptation of them.

Pathfinder in a general sense is simply an extension of 3.5e; you can consider it a revision and continuation to 3.5 in the same way I call 2e a revision and continuation of 1e rather than a whole new game (although Pathfinder by necessity cuts out proprietary aspects of D&D IP such as certain classic monsters, magic items, and settings). Presumably my dislikes for 3.5e will apply to Pathfinder, but with no real exposure to Pathfinder I cannot speak definitively. I've already said enough to get PF fans pissy at me.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Pathfinder kingmaker is realtime and not turned based (no I have no idea why decided to go this route when adapting a turn base system) so it's not a very good way to experience the system.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
It is the same real-time-with-pause as the old Baldur's gate stuff, so it is not that bad to get an impression of the system, which they otherwise tried to model fairly accurately.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
I miss the home brew aspect of 3.5 you could type any word follow it with 3e and find a home brew splat book. Now I like the 5ed rules more because they feel more flexible my only real complaint is how they use sub classes rather then making new classes. It's just more complex to me to do it that way.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
SupahEwok said:
Drathnoxis said:
Kyrian007 said:
And for those who just want the best one ever made there is Pinnacle's original Deadlands.
So what makes it so good and how does it differ from DnD?
When people start talking about a "best" game and it isn't a generic system, but one with a defined genre and setting, really they're usually big fans of that genre and setting, and that game has the best ruleset for that genre and setting. Deadlands, which I've never played but which I know is "popular" (in that it's a big name in the small pond of "tabletop roleplay systems that aren't D&D, GURPS, or Fate"), is a setting that blends Wild West with spooky horror supernatural stuff. "Weird West" is typically what that sub-subgenre is called.
That is part of it, I won't deny that. The weird west setting is one of the better backdrops for a game I've ever run across. Much like D&D's Ravenloft, the major antagonist is the world itself... and they are my favorite settings. Not just a harsh environment, but an intelligent and malevolent world working against the heroes. However, and however well the system goes with the setting... just by itself the system is a great mix of structure with a levelless free form that allows for a wide variety of characters that don't fall into the "best minmaxed builds" trap. Each character has 'edges' that are bought by beating up the character with 'hinderances.' But rather than just acting to hamper your character, role playing the game with your hinderance in mind earns a player more 'fate chips' which are experience points that can be spent to increase abilities (converted into experience or 'bounty') or spent in game to 'tip the scales of fate' (a number of effects are possible.) And the best thing, it isn't just simply dice-based. Things like combat rolls and skill checks are done with dice, but initiative is kept track of using standard playing cards. And cards are also used to resolve magic effects in everything from direct spellcasting to a mad scientist creating some crazy steampowered device. So yes, my love for the setting is probably a part of my describing it as the best. But the addition of adding poker chips to represent fate, playing cards for magic and the best representation of an encounter's initiative, as well as just dice... just makes it work better than any other I've experienced.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
5th edition for me sets the standard not just for D&D but for pen and paper role playing in general.

I think it's a great example of accessibility done right, in that it still has complex systems, but the player-side interaction with those systems is simplified to the point where I genuinely think parents could play with their children without having to compromise the rules too much.

Add to that, the books themselves are just nice objects. I think people often overlook the importance of production values in roleplaying games. If you're introducing a game to friends who don't play it, then having a really nice book is just going to be immediately more compelling. The production values on the 5e core set is some of the best I've seen outside of kickstarter.

When I was younger, I always felt that D&D was the putrid mass that gathered at the bottom of the RPG tank where the really sweaty nerds went to discuss "optimal builds". Now, I look at the most recent versions of games I was playing back then and I feel if I owned them I'd be slightly ashamed of how infantile they are, whereas 5e (despite, again, being a game you could literally play with children) could go proudly on a living room shelf somewhere. I think if pen and paper games have much of a future, that's a good sign for it.

Inazuma1

Professional Asshole
Legacy
Nov 18, 2009
Hell
I'll always have a soft spot for 4. It's what I started with, and it's the edition that finally fixed Monks, one of my favorite classes, and cured them of the MAD Syndrome that made them useless in 3/3.5. That and the powers made it a fun turn based tactical game as far as I'm concerned.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Opinions are going to vary wildly on this. Each editions has its strengths and weaknesses but for someone just getting into the game I'd recommend 5e, the current edition. It's extremely new-player friendly and the has enough rules to allow for structure while leaving enough flexibility for the DM to make creative (but sensible) rulings on the fly.

I have played 5e through the entire level range and it's fun at all stages. I am currently running my own game once a week (homebrew story set in the Forgotten Realms) and play a Ranger in a high level campaign that we've had going for the past few years that's seen us go from level 12 to 21. We are now playing with custom prestige classes that kick in after level 20 homebrewed by our DM.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
I rarely if ever play fantasy tabletop since that isn't my local group's preference, but of all D&D systems I'm partial to 2nd and 3rd. Neither system was perfect, but 2nd and its mechanical foibles had flavor, grit, and a real sense of identity in which 3rd felt lacking, but a lot of that also boiled down to WotC's decision to tone down the edge, pulp, shlock, and camp for broader appeal. It just doesn't feel like D&D to me, unless it's making fundies scream in horror and run to the nearest fainting couch. 3rd on the other hand was vastly superior mechanically, and opened a lot of possibilities for fun play. The lack of QA on supplements, and the sheer level of power creep and supplement bloat killed it.

Never bothered with 4th or 5th; the few times we've played FRPG, it's been Pathfinder which is a great game and shored up many of 3rd's mechanical failings. But, archetypes and the sheer number of classes introduced later, and the general failure of game balance over later supplements, killed it for me just as power creep and supplement bloat killed 3rd. Honestly, Paizo would have done better for themselves leaning harder into the UA/Incarnum system of a la carte stat/ability buys, and ditched the class system altogether if they wanted a route to maximize character customization.