What's your favourite four consecutive albums by artist?

Beautiful Tragedy

Jun 5, 2012
TheRightToArmBears said:
Also, Slipknot? I didn't think All Hope Is Gone was all that great barring about three tracks.
REALLY? hrm... i think from top to bottom, is a really solid album.. but as with everything in thei thread it's JUST opinion ;)

Cerdog

Dec 7, 2010
A lot of the obvious choices I would have gone for (in particular, Pink Floyd) have been taken, so I'll say Trivium: Ember To Inferno, Ascendancy, The Crusade and Shogun. I listen to a lot less metalcore than I used to, but Trivium's first two are still very solid albums, and the sort of music they're best at writing. The Crusade went a bit too far with the Metallica worship but still had enough great tracks to be a good album. Shogun is slightly less memorable but is pretty consistent and has songs like Kirisute Gomen and Insurrection.

The Artificially Prolonged said:
Pink Floyd - Meddle, Dark Side of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals. Not much to say really just one stellar album after another during that period.
Obscured By Clouds came out between Meddle and Dark Side, so those aren't consecutive albums.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Cerdog said:
A lot of the obvious choices I would have gone for (in particular, Pink Floyd) have been taken, so I'll say Trivium: Ember To Inferno, Ascendancy, The Crusade and Shogun. I listen to a lot less metalcore than I used to, but Trivium's first two are still very solid albums, and the sort of music they're best at writing. The Crusade went a bit too far with the Metallica worship but still had enough great tracks to be a good album. Shogun is slightly less memorable but is pretty consistent and has songs like Kirisute Gomen and Insurrection.

Pink Floyd - Meddle, Dark Side of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals. Not much to say really just one stellar album after another during that period.
Obscured By Clouds came out between Meddle and Dark Side, so those aren't consecutive albums.
Ah my mistake I have forgot about Obscured by Clouds, for some reason I fought that came out before Meddle. Needless to say I shall make sure I appropriately punish myself for such an oversight :p

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Radiohead from Okay Computer to Kid A to Amnesiac and finish with Hail to the thief. A genuine evolution of a sound.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Okay, just went through my CD collection for likely contenders, and... (Skipping all Best Ofs and other such oddities.)

Beth Orton: Trailer Park, Central Reservation (best), Daybreaker and Comfort Of Strangers

Bif Naked: Bif Naked, I Bificus (best), Purge and Superbeautifulmonster

The Divine Comedy: Casanova, Fin De Siècle (best), Regeneration and Absent Friends (don't think A Short Album About Love counts)

James: Strip-Mine, Gold Mother (best), Seven, Laid

James: Whiplash (best), Millionaires, Pleased To Meet You, Hey Ma (these two quads are separated by the experimental-but-still-okay Wah Wah, otherwise they could easily be a nine-bar)

Pulp: His 'n' Hers, Different Class (best), This Is Hardcore and We Love Life (probably the all-out best combo here)

U2: Achtung Baby (best), Zooropa, Pop, All That You Can't Leave Behind (fuck off, I like Zooropa).

I really wanted to include Saint Etienne, but I've never got on with Foxbase Alpha or Sound Of Water, meaning I'm stuck with two triples.

hoockhand

Mar 30, 2009
Silverstein:
When Broken Is Easily Fixed (2003)
Discovering the Waterfront (2005)
Arrivals & Departures (2007)
A Shipwreck In the Sand (2009)

There is maybe 3 songs that I don't like throughout those 4 albums

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
Fear Factory - Obsolete to Mechanize - which is technically seven albums, but I don't really care.

Tool - Literally everything. They have more than 4 albums, but still, all of them.

Vast - Literally everything. More than 4 albums, still don't care.

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
I'm going to go with the band Streetlight Manifesto, the four albums being
From Wikipedia said:
2003: Everything Goes Numb
2006: Keasbey Nights
2007: Somewhere in the Between
2010: 99 Songs of Revolution: Vol. 1
The Hands that Thieve was super neat as well, but you only asked for four.

I chose Streetlight Manifesto because are they not only my favorite band, they're also the only band I've ever bothered to learn four consecutive albums names of.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Wenseph said:
Rammstein: Herzeleid - Sehnsucht - Mutter - Reise, Reise - Rosenrot - Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da.
I had to "learn" to like Reise, Reise, it was different to the others in my opinion. But otherwise it's the only bad I would consider myself a fan of. I once had the nicest sweat shirt from them, it got stolen, I miss it so :'(

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
The Thinker said:
I'm going to go with the band Streetlight Manifesto, the four albums being
From Wikipedia said:
2003: Everything Goes Numb
2006: Keasbey Nights
2007: Somewhere in the Between
2010: 99 Songs of Revolution: Vol. 1
The Hands that Thieve was super neat as well, but you only asked for four.

I chose Streetlight Manifesto because are they not only my favorite band, they're also the only band I've ever bothered to learn four consecutive albums names of.
I can't believe I forgot them... Although if I could bend the rules of the game (pun incidental) I'd switch 99SoR for The Hand That Thieves.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I had to think quite hard about this one - I kept thinking of artists with loads of great albums and then getting hung up because they didn't have four consecutive good ones. For example, like the OP, I wanted to say Metallica, but while Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are absolute thrash classics, unfortunately I am of the opinion that ...And Justice for All is badly-mixed, boring and generally pants. Anyway, I did come up with some:

Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.
I was tempted to say that all of the first 7 of Iron Maiden's albums were great, and while I do enjoy them, I think The Number of the Beast is the weak link in the chain, so it's these four, starting from album 4 through to 7. Piece of Mind and Powerslave are awesome heavy metal albums, easily some of the best out of there, while Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son are the best showcases of Maiden's experiments with prog.

In Flames - The Jester Race, Whoracle, Clayman, Colony (plus Lunar Strain right at the start for a string of 5 albums)
Aside from the fact that all of the first 5 albums were totally instrumental in the creation of melodic death metal (as well as folk metal with Lunar Strain), it wasn't until The Jester Race that In Flames really got the power and energy of death metal into their songs, before the next three albums added in some unbeatable melody work.

Amon Amarth - not even going to lie, every one of their albums is pure gold. But, the four I'd pick are: Fate of Norns, With Oden On Our Side, Twilight of the Thunder God, Surtur Rising (bear in mind I've not listened to Deceiver of the Gods yet, but I'm sure it'll be as brilliant as the rest)
Amon Amarth have never made a bad album. Every single one is a masterclass in how to write death metal, and they only get crisper, clearer and tighter with each release.

Rise Against - Siren Song of the Counter Culture, The Sufferer and the Witness, Appeal to Reason, Endgame
Again, another band I love everything they've produced, and again, it's the latest four albums because they get better and better each time.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Can - Monster Movie, Soundtracks, Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi and Future Days
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#Infinity, Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven, Yanqui UXO, 'Allelujah! Don't Bend Ascend!
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew, A Tribute to Jack Johnson, Live Evil
Burzum - Burzum, Det Som Engang Var, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Filsofem
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Vol 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage
Bjork - Debut, Post, Homogenic, Vespertine
Death - Human, Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic, The Sound of Perserverance

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
I would say Pink Floyd but you forgot that Obscured by Clouds came after Meddle but before Dark Side of the Moon, thus destroying the 4 album streak.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Well I think Black Sabbath take the crown here: The first 7 Sabbath albums are absolute masterpieces to the point where I don't mind that the later stuff is a bit eeehbleeeh to meh. I mean the guys made 7 flawless albums, most bands don't even have that many albums, let alone 7 discs of gold.

Rammstien, like the guy above me have a good track record with 6, I wasn't a /massive/ fan of Rosenrot, but not because I thought there was anything wrong with it, just the album is much slower and ponderous than the rest of their material and it just didn't exactly click we me, dunno just not massively into it.

Metallicas a pretty obvious choice, first four albums landmarks of Metal, as are the first 4 Megadeth albums.

Lesser known band are The Lord Wierd Slough Feg(or just Slough Feg these days), their first 4 albums are really really good(with their 5th, Atavism a strong entry), especially Traveller, a concept album about a space pirate, mutant dog/human hybrids, a mad professor and galactic warfare. It's damn good.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
my chemical romance; amazingly creative band. my favorite band

i brought you my bullets, you brought me your love
3 cheers for sweet revenge
the black parade
danger days: the true lives of the fabulous killjoys

the killers; unappreciated band, yet there one of the best modern bands still going today

hot fuss
sams town
day and age
battleborn

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Hmmm, what music groups do I have more than 2 albums from?

If I count only the songs I like by post 50s English speaking bands I listen to, they would only fill up 2 CDs.

English: Glenn Miller & the Andrews Sisters. (Oldies jazz).

Celtic: Enya. (New age).

Swedish: O-Zone/Arsenium & Paza Rahm. (Dance).

Spanish: Banda Machos. (Mariachi).

Korean: Koyotae & High Five of Teenagers. (Techno & Hip-Hop).

Japanese: Malice Mizer/Moi Dix Mois, Megumi Hayashibara, & Hayami Shou. (Metal & Rock).

Not enough albums to select a winner for German, Russian, or Italian yet.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
My favorite music is the work Tom Waits did in the 80s: Swordfishtrombone, Rain Dogs, Franks Wild Years, and Big Time. Rain Dogs itself is probably my favorite album of all time. I find it all to be very original, unpretentious, and also very soothing at the end of the day. It's like audible whiskey.

I also love the ealy Genesis albums when they were more prog-rock and Peter Gabriel sang while wearing silly costumes: Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, and Selling England by the Pound.
It's just very moving music to me. It's urges me to imagine the old absurd D&D campaigns I played. Then you have pieces like Suppers Ready which is just epic.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
The Ramones:
Self Titled, Leave Home, Rocket To Russia and Road to Ruin.

Almost any given song that immediately comes to mind when you think of the Ramones was on one of those 4 albums. That's not to say that their later work and their lesser known non-radio hit songs weren't good, but these 4 albums contain the tunes that cemented their sound.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Animal Collective are my favourite band at the moment and I really adore them. To put four of their albums in order of what I like I suppose it would be (this is difficult)...

Feels
Merriweather Post Pavilion
Strawberry Jam
Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished

But really, all their albums are amazing.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
elvor0 said:
Lesser known band are The Lord Wierd Slough Feg(or just Slough Feg these days), their first 4 albums are really really good(with their 5th, Atavism a strong entry), especially Traveller, a concept album about a space pirate, mutant dog/human hybrids, a mad professor and galactic warfare. It's damn good.
Well I just learned Slough Feg had more than one album. Thoroughly investigating this now.

A lot of votes for metallica. I'm gonna be really controversial and say I did not like "And Justice for All"

Children of Bodom had a pretty good run of Hatebreeder, Follow the Reaper, Hate Crew Death Roll, Are You Dead Yet. Most people consider Are You Dead Yet to be one of their weaker albums but it was the album that I discovered Bodom through so I have a soft spot for it hence why I didn't go "something wild-HCDR"

Brendon Small to date has 4 studio albums (Dethalbum 1-3 and Galaktikon) all of which are phenomenal.