What's your favourite graphic novel?

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns... for now anyway, when Despera gets it's English release this year I'm gonna be all over that like Gravy over biscuits, or french fries, or fried eggs, or bacon... I made myself hungry now...<.<

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Persepolis. A fantastic autobiographical comic about a young Iranian girl's life in the both in the west and middle-east, and is quite beautiful.

mikeli4194

Jan 10, 2010
Scott Pilgrim, too. Apart from the shitty final volume. Yeah, explain WHY things are magical in the story. I'm sure that'll go over well. Movie sucked too.
Still, first 5 volumes were fantastic

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Steppin Razor said:
ScarecrowAlone said:
I think manga and western G. novels are generally regarded seperately. Or that would make sense to me.
Ah, but the very definition of graphic novel itself would include such things as Japanese manga and Korean manhwa. Not to mention that manga itself has a longer history of being collected and published in books than Western graphic novels.

Really, each person has their own opinion of whether it should be included or not, and that's why I asked. If the OP considered manga as graphic novels, it could change some peoples answers.
To be fair, not a single person has said a graphic novel yet.

OT: Fun Home, it's a great novel by Allison Bechdel about her coming out, if a little depressing.

spookydom

Aug 31, 2009
Watchmen is the greatest graphic novel of all time. Have to mention Batman the Drak knight returns and league of extrordinary gentlemen.....Sandman.....Batman killing joke....There are just to many. I have a headache just thinking about it.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
I'd say Watchman. It's the only thing that I've seen that I could honestly describe as being a graphic novel.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Irredeemable:

Superman go evil and pretty much kill a SHITload of people and even sunk singapore below the ocean.

Oh no, that just Volume 1, hell he lobotize his sidekick, destroyed his home city and beat up his superhero team. Killed his friends andthen gotten a hair cut.

callmegreen

Jan 29, 2011
Hmmmm I'd Say............ Scott pilgrim, kick-ass , and i read a few of these bat-man arkham asylum one shots which i thought were pretty good

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Fruits Basket. But I suspect you didn't want a manga for an answer, no matter how much it counts.

In that case...Blackest Night. After false starts with Transmetropolitan and Watchmen, and a general lack of interest in superhero comics, that one has so far managed to be a shining, anomalous exception.

Then again, I'm also a sucker for color coding, so finding out about the other lantern corps (especially the Red Lanterns) drew me in instantly.

And I just love saying "Ruffles the Rage Kitty" over and over.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Jeff Smith's Bone is probably my all-time favorite (hey, look at that avatar...)

I also really enjoyed The Waiting Place by Sean Kelley McKeever and Revolver by Matt Kindt: both must-reads for graphic novel fans.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Specifically the chapter "Beautiful Symmetry" from Watchmen. Its the one about Rorschach and his past.

This is probably the comic that has had the most influence on me. Not only was I blown away by Rorschach's past (not only did his descent into madness make some crazy sort of sense, but it also seemed like the rational decision), Rorschach also became the prime influence of the character that I write.

pwned123456

Feb 4, 2011
Outright Villainy said:
Graphic Novel? Oh, you must mean comic.

Anyhow, probably Scott Pilgrim, I enjoyed the hell out of that.
hell yeah i went to visit my cousin he talked me into buying the first one read it bought the rest of the series the next day they are amazing

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
You really can't argue with something on the Time best novels of all time list.

I'd love to have something less mainstream, but Watchmen.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
Though it may not traditionally count as a graphic novel... Planet Hulk. Marvel took a classic monster and made him into a character. A pretty good character at that.

Followed closely by Marvel 1602 (a fun adaptation) and 30 Days of Night (the movie didn't do it justice).