What's your favourite way to cuss without cussing.

OldKingClancy

Jun 2, 2011
After running through Battlestar Gallactica I've been using 'Frak' a lot of the time.

Other than that it's Feck

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
I sigh.
A lot.
So much, that everyone points that out...

*sigh*
I also say "frack" instead of "fuck" and "Shazbot" instead of "shit"
And sometimes i say "fuf", don't ask me why, cause i don't know

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Holy hullabaloo on a shingle has been a thing I've been saying when I can't swear.

I have no idea what it means, but it just came out one time when I had to censor myself.

The looks I got were priceless. :D
It's far more interesting that way.

...In the real world, I usually either catch myself or cuss. Not much in the middle. I do sometimes do very literal breakdowns of certain profane phrases, though.

"Having intercourse with Hades" for example.

Just because it's fuuuuuuuuun.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Bestival said:
Hm, I don't really ever not swear. I don't mean that in a tourette's syndrome type of way, but more in a 'when I cuss I cuss, no substitutes!' way.

The closest I come is leaving the 'sake' out of "Oh for fuck's sake".
Usually when I cuss it's because something shocking just happened, so a "fucks sake" would normally be complete exasperation. It really does make sense that you wouldn't censor that, because it's almost automatic.

It's sometimes funny to substitute random words, if your mind will let you.

Stub your toe? "LOUNGE FURNITURE!"

Lost your wallet? "Oh, James Dean's bad hair day!"

Still, there's something visceral and satisfying about saying something profane when you're hurt.

OldKingClancy said:
After running through Battlestar Gallactica I've been using 'Frak' a lot of the time.

Other than that it's Feck
stormeris said:
I sigh.
A lot.
So much, that everyone points that out...

*sigh*
I also say "frack" instead of "fuck" and "Shazbot" instead of "shit"
And sometimes i say "fuf", don't ask me why, cause i don't know
I wonder if people wonder why you guys are talking about an extraction procedure that causes drinking water to be flammable.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
"oh coconuts!"

No, seriously. My nephew LOVES Jake and the Neverland pirates, I started saying that when he was around because it made him laugh and now I'm genuinely saying it as I go about my daily life.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
Simply seeing the word "cuss" makes me feel rather annoyed. It's this weird feeling in my nose/forehead. Oh, and why would I try to curse without cursing? It's kind of the point. Maybe freaking?

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Cussing without cussing is a complete waste of effort.

Saying words like "Fuck, shit, **** etc etc" have real physical cathartic properties that reduce pain and stress.

If I'm in a situation where I want to swear but can't I just don't make noise. I'll clench my fist really tight or grit my teeth.

(I use Brittish swears too, but those are actual swears so I don't think they count as "not cussing")

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I pretty much just swear, however I have come up with a couple of substitutes. "Physics," because it's a much more evil word than any curse mankind has created(you can substitute calculus if you want, but physics is more cathartic). And a friend of mine actually came up with this one, which I love: "Curse word" It's surprisingly effective, and it can be freely modified with adjectives.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
The english/british have some good ones, bollocks being the one I use the most.
Grated to them it is a curse word but to an american, like me, it's just good fun to say.

Sku1c

Jan 19, 2013
I hiss.

I don't know where I picked it up (maybe for hanging out with cats and ferrets too much)
oh good, so i'm not at a level of weird where i'm alone just yet.

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
I usually say things like "What the flip!" or "Gosh darn it!" instead of swearing. I don't have a problem with swearing it's just that I haven't really ever sworn and don't really want to change that.

Lord Rothschild

Sep 27, 2010
While I like "FRELL" and "SOD OFF" but anyone that uses a euphemism in any way is just kidding them selves, We all know what your trying to say and no mater what you think simply using "FUCK" gets the point across. I know it, you know it and every one else knows it just say what you realy whant.

SnakeSpawn

Jul 7, 2010
F-word --> Fruitcake. To me, that's fouler than any cuss word.
God D*** It! --> God Bless It. Seems to be more productive.

Murphy's Law! Is often applicable.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Holy hullabaloo on a shingle has been a thing I've been saying when I can't swear.

I have no idea what it means, but it just came out one time when I had to censor myself.

The looks I got were priceless. :D
It's far more interesting that way.

...In the real world, I usually either catch myself or cuss. Not much in the middle. I do sometimes do very literal breakdowns of certain profane phrases, though.

"Having intercourse with Hades" for example.

Just because it's fuuuuuuuuun.
That's assuming I catch myself in time. Otherwise, I just swear and apologize for my salty language which happens all the time because I have a real potty mouth.

Sometimes I just say the first letter and then turn it into a growl if I can manage it.

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
After a short spell of the word "Bollocks" crawling into my vocabulary a couple months ago for no real reason, I started confusing it with "Dollops", and that version of it stuck. For situations where "Dollops" isn't appropriate, I add a syllable to it: "Dollopsing" and so on. That said, my favourite cuss usually changes on a weekly basis. The fact that I've been saying "Dollops" for more than a month is pretty impressive.

Probably the one I remember most fondly was one I came up with together with a friend of mine in school, "Aitso!", which is a Spanish... not really swear, but more like "Rude exclamation"... backwards. Despite how awkward it is we forced ourselves to use it for two years. People always thought we were copying one of those shouts out of a kung-fu movie.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
I don't do it much, but
Gorram-Goddamn
Motherhumper-************

If anything beyond that is required, I switch to using Finnish swearwords, because no one here in the UK knows what they mean.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
rob_simple said:
And one I picked up from my Dad, but have never, ever understood: "Aw hell's bells and buckets of blood."
Much like Stephen Fry then.

Similarly, much like Stephen Fry, I just say fuck.

Because it's a word and I don;'t care.