What's your life's "that"?

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
When I discovered MLP:FiM.
I know, cheesy.
But not only did it give me a better out look on life, but it inspired me to follow my love of animation. I swapped my college course and now I'm studying animation!
*BIG GASP*
yay.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
My friend convincing me to actually listen to some metal when I was about 13 was one.
Another 'that' moment happened to me too, but it's more private.

Doopliss64

Jul 20, 2011
When I first beat Resident Evil 4. I know it sounds stupid, but that game really transformed my taste in games and film, and was actually one of the first M-rated games I played. Something about completing such a gory, (and at the time) disturbing game just gave me a feeling of "congratulations, you are now an adult, here is your certificate."

I'm pretty young though, so I haven't really had any truly life-changing experiences.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
When I discovered what the effects of drugs could do.
I can separate the time before I started drinking and the time after, I figure.

Chalacachaca

May 15, 2011
There's been two, the first one was listening for the first time The Wall by Pink Floyd. I was already going through changes, after that had a "artistic reinassance". I started watching Akira Kurosawa films, movies by David Lynch, and digged up old classics I saw before like A Clockwork Orange and started seeing some Kubrick films. Wrote tons of stuff from journalism to poetry, and I composed a few songs on the way. I started studying cinema and joined a drama group.
That was my second "that". I completly forgot about cinema and became a full-time stage actor, drawing inspiration for my characters from plays, movies, music and videogames. I don't want to sound arrogant, but 90% of the time I'm the highlight of the plays I'm in, and not exactly by playing a main role.

TobiasMP

Jun 9, 2010
I had been a victim of bullying for a couple of years and suddenly someone started protecting me. I didn't even know him that well and he was even shorter than I was, but that didn't stop him from standing infront of me while 4 older and bigger guys came looking for me.
We both got beaten up though...but this guy, not only became my best friend for a couple of years (i haven't seem him for a couple years now), but he also became an inspiration.
Since that day, i followed his example and just started helping people out, even when i didn't even know their names. It really changed my life. Now i have become quite strong, confidend and have alot of friends, but i will never forget that I will always owe him

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
For me it's probably when I started going out drinking. It makes me sound like an alcoholic but I no longer see any of my friends from school aside from 1 or 2 people. I started meeting all my good friends whilst out drinking. So yeah. That.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
TobiasMP said:
I had been a victim of bullying for a couple of years and suddenly someone started protecting me. I didn't even know him that well and he was even shorter than I was, but that didn't stop him from standing infront of me while 4 older and bigger guys came looking for me.
We both got beaten up though...but this guy, not only became my best friend for a couple of years (i haven't seem him for a couple years now), but he also became an inspiration.
Since that day, i followed his example and just started helping people out, even when i didn't even know their names. It really changed my life. Now i have become quite strong, confidend and have alot of friends, but i will never forget that I will always owe him
If life were a sitcom, he'll show up on your doorstep one day and you'll have a day of wacky hijinks together, before you finally pay back the favour you owe and everyone learns a valuable lesson about life.

OT: Not sure if I have a definitive 'that' moment for my life. Maybe when I met my current girlfriend a couple of years ago, she's a fairly big part of my life, but it doesn't seem definitive.

Going to University wasn't really a 'that' moment either, to be honest.

I dunno. Maybe I'll edit this post in a few years when I have something. BRB.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
While I do have lots of interesting stories to tell, I feel like that moment has yet to happen to me.

I suppose so far I could either put it down to my first sexual experience, or when my life plan clicked into place. Or when I was stabbed.

Assuming my life plan goes well, new replacement moments could be something along the lines of my first confirmed kill in the Royal Marines (I hope it isn't that) or getting my second book published. I say the second, because the one I've had published was a tiny thing that did nothing for me. Or it could be meeting the woman I spend my life with. I don't know.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
The moment I moved to a new town and made some of the best friends I've ever had.

Those friends are still with me, and my social life was downright traumatizing before I met them . I made real friends and felt like I could be honest about myself, even if I wasn't perfect. That meant a lot to me. And after that I started sharing my work with other people and got involved in other people's projects, learned more art, music, joined theater groups, the art club, and even managed to start a poetry club.

I definitely can divide my life into "Stuff before meeting those friends/stuff after meeting those friends." I think that happens to a lot of people.

Captcha: Inside Out.

Subtle.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
My "that" took 8 years. It's like I had two separate lives, but I didn't live 'em at the same time. That would be military service.

So I guess I segment my life more as "before that", "during that", and "after that". Any single event pales in comparison to the lifestyle changes brought about by... that.

simonw91

Nov 2, 2011
Receiving the Spicy Keychain.

But seriously, moving out and going to university. It was like something went off in my head that told me this is where I needed to be, and for the first time in my life I feel like I have a major life goal to strive towards :D

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
First one: Parents splitting up when I was nine.

Second one: When my dad had a stroke two years ago, during my senior year of high school.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Wow, I feel pretty insignificant looking at this thread. Nothing that important has happened to me personally that has had a major change on my life.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
IndomitableSam said:
Matthew94 said:
IndomitableSam said:
Matthew94 said:
IndomitableSam said:
The end of High School, maybe? Or when I started Library School - that's kinda when my life turned around and I started taking things seriously.
That made me laugh, sorry.

What's library school like?
It does sounds kinda funny. School to become a Librarian (or more specifically, a Library Technician). You take business courses, research/reference courses, learn Dewey Decimal and Library of Congress cataloguing, IT, networking (both real life and computer kinds), business writing, management, marketing, databases, reader's advisory, working with children, some HR... everything, basically. As librarians, it's our job to know how to find the answer to every question. We can't know all the answers, but we can know the best way to find out. Whether it's by book, database, online, journal, personal contact, research, etc. we're taught all the ways to find information.

Which is why I get mad every time someone says "we don't need libraries, we have the internet" ... The internet might have what you want to know, but Google won't always tell you the answer.
That's pretty sweet.

You (well, not you) never really think of what librarians need to go through to get their position. Seems like you need a degree for everything these days.

Are you still there now or are you out and "In the field" so to speak.
I graduated in 2009. Worked at a school for a couple years, they cut my hours and salary, and now I work for the government. Boring and soul-sucking, but good pay and benefits. :p
You managed to graduate? You're a better librarian than me, then. Turns out, covertly eating pastries and readin comics doesn't improve your grades. I only passed one test, and you were allowed to cheat that time.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
The easiest way to split my life in that way would be before and after transition year (4th year in Ireland - roughly the age of 15 to 16 i think) or the first time I smoked the herb, which wasn't long after.

But thats just so far, there was other 'thats' I suppose that have happened, but time will tell if they become as big as those first 2.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Queen Michael said:
IndomitableSam said:
Matthew94 said:
IndomitableSam said:
Matthew94 said:
IndomitableSam said:
The end of High School, maybe? Or when I started Library School - that's kinda when my life turned around and I started taking things seriously.
That made me laugh, sorry.

What's library school like?
It does sounds kinda funny. School to become a Librarian (or more specifically, a Library Technician). You take business courses, research/reference courses, learn Dewey Decimal and Library of Congress cataloguing, IT, networking (both real life and computer kinds), business writing, management, marketing, databases, reader's advisory, working with children, some HR... everything, basically. As librarians, it's our job to know how to find the answer to every question. We can't know all the answers, but we can know the best way to find out. Whether it's by book, database, online, journal, personal contact, research, etc. we're taught all the ways to find information.

Which is why I get mad every time someone says "we don't need libraries, we have the internet" ... The internet might have what you want to know, but Google won't always tell you the answer.
That's pretty sweet.

You (well, not you) never really think of what librarians need to go through to get their position. Seems like you need a degree for everything these days.

Are you still there now or are you out and "In the field" so to speak.
I graduated in 2009. Worked at a school for a couple years, they cut my hours and salary, and now I work for the government. Boring and soul-sucking, but good pay and benefits. :p
You managed to graduate? You're a better librarian than me, then. Turns out, covertly eating pastries and readin comics doesn't improve your grades. I only passed one test, and you were allowed to cheat that time.
You can always try again. My first few years of University I was lazy as all hell and got terrible marks. I went to library school when I was 25 (enrolled at 24, takes a long time to get in), and was a lot more mature and took it very seriously. So the growing-up that happened made it my "that". Try doing some courses via distance if you're currently working as you can slowly work towards it.