What's your life's "that"?

EverydayHeretic

Dec 12, 2009
Getting counseling and ADD Medication. I tend to label the Before part as "completely useless" and the After part as "contributing member to society."

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Dating this girl. Before her, I was mild, timid, kind of shy, not very outgoing. After? Well, I'll just say that I wouldn't think twice about doing all kinds of crazy fun stuff now.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I dunno. I'd think someone might have many "thats" over the course of their lives, events causing major shifts in how they live and think.

I'd say my first major "that" was the bullying, more specifically fighting back. The bullying left a massive mark on me. Made me feel even further away from the rest of humanity. Made me paranoid. But most bullying victims could say that.

The major change was when I fought back. I didn't plan to, I didn't wake up and decide I was going to make them pay, I just got angry and lost it. I discovered a few things there, things that made a major impact on me. I discovered that I am more powerful than I thought I was, that I, under the wrong circumstances, can do terrible things. I discovered that the one thing nobody is beyond is fear. No matter how intimidating, how tough, how protected someone is, there is something that will reduce them to a weeping mess.

It was like the last step to leaving humanity altogether wasn't something I was pushed into, it was something I did.

The other major change so far would be university. You could say that's where I regained some humanity. I discovered that not all people were terrible, that while I could never be normal, I could be liked, well liked at that, for simply being who I am. That attitude has a polarising effect I find: Either people really like you or they hate you. One thing they can't do is forget you.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
IndomitableSam said:
Queen Michael said:
IndomitableSam said:
Matthew94 said:
IndomitableSam said:
Matthew94 said:
IndomitableSam said:
The end of High School, maybe? Or when I started Library School - that's kinda when my life turned around and I started taking things seriously.
That made me laugh, sorry.

What's library school like?
It does sounds kinda funny. School to become a Librarian (or more specifically, a Library Technician). You take business courses, research/reference courses, learn Dewey Decimal and Library of Congress cataloguing, IT, networking (both real life and computer kinds), business writing, management, marketing, databases, reader's advisory, working with children, some HR... everything, basically. As librarians, it's our job to know how to find the answer to every question. We can't know all the answers, but we can know the best way to find out. Whether it's by book, database, online, journal, personal contact, research, etc. we're taught all the ways to find information.

Which is why I get mad every time someone says "we don't need libraries, we have the internet" ... The internet might have what you want to know, but Google won't always tell you the answer.
That's pretty sweet.

You (well, not you) never really think of what librarians need to go through to get their position. Seems like you need a degree for everything these days.

Are you still there now or are you out and "In the field" so to speak.
I graduated in 2009. Worked at a school for a couple years, they cut my hours and salary, and now I work for the government. Boring and soul-sucking, but good pay and benefits. :p
You managed to graduate? You're a better librarian than me, then. Turns out, covertly eating pastries and readin comics doesn't improve your grades. I only passed one test, and you were allowed to cheat that time.
You can always try again. My first few years of University I was lazy as all hell and got terrible marks. I went to library school when I was 25 (enrolled at 24, takes a long time to get in), and was a lot more mature and took it very seriously. So the growing-up that happened made it my "that". Try doing some courses via distance if you're currently working as you can slowly work towards it.
I notice I missed a few word - it should read "Turns out, covertly eating pastries and reading comics during lectures doesn't improve your grades."
Anyway, I started studying English instead and that went way better.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
When the cyberbullying went too far? After that point I started wanting to consider myself void of emotion.

Otherwise probably moving back to the states. So much changed...

That first part sounds extremely childish, really.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Queen Michael said:
I notice I missed a few word - it should read "Turns out, covertly eating pastries and reading comics during lectures doesn't improve your grades."
Our course was laptop-based in the classroom so no one actually paid much attention during lectures, we were all doing other things. It was the sense of community and everyone working together on assignments that helped us all learn and pass the course. I read a ton of manga when I was in school and would often be posting on forums and reading the news while a lecture was going on. It just took a group effort to really learn it all later.

Not that I recommend libraries as a career right now, work is REALLY hard to find. I actually deter people from it because it's so hard to find a full-time job. Especially in the US.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Going to my first anime convention this year. Momocon 2012. I set a new personal record for "Most Conversations Started with Strangers." Plus it ended with me getting applauded by a room full of strangers for asking Ellen McClain (you know her as Glados) if she would do an audio book for her husband's novel Dancing with Eternity. She said yes!

It didn't hurt that I got a hug from her prior (I have the picture to prove it if you don't believe me)!

It also marked my first cosplay where I was Jacuzzi Splot from Baccano!

And did I mention I got LittleKuriboh's autograph? I gave it to my little cousin though since he's a bigger fan.

EDIT: 1800th post? Dang...

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
I don't think I've had it yet, but I can certainly see a certain 'that' in future developing if I go through with my idea of becoming a nurse.

I've lead a very 'standard' life up until this point, it's about time I put some time aside to do something interesting and remarkable.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
When my best friend tried to kill me... that was the mark of a new life.

There was a second event. When my second best friend nearly destroyed my life.

There are two before and after's now.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
IndomitableSam said:
Queen Michael said:
Our course was laptop-based in the classroom so no one actually paid much attention during lectures, we were all doing other things. It was the sense of community and everyone working together on assignments that helped us all learn and pass the course. I read a ton of manga when I was in school and would often be posting on forums and reading the news while a lecture was going on. It just took a group effort to really learn it all later.

Not that I recommend libraries as a career right now, work is REALLY hard to find. I actually deter people from it because it's so hard to find a full-time job. Especially in the US.
Funny thing is, I didn't even plan to become a librarian. I just studied it because I wanted to get some kind of education and it seemed like an okay thing to study.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
AngloDoom said:
I don't think I've had it yet, but I can certainly see a certain 'that' in future developing if I go through with my idea of becoming a nurse.

I've lead a very 'standard' life up until this point, it's about time I put some time aside to do something interesting and remarkable.
That's actually kinda what I'm doing right now. I decided that I'm gonna get my shit together and become and EMT, and if I like it, maybe become a paramedic.

Had to quit smoking weed, all that fun stuff.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
My longest relationship, mom having a stroke, military service or moving out.

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
When i took a hoot of salvia so big that i forgot what life was and was stuck in my own mind until i figured out that the giant orange wall infront of my vision was actually my mouth, and then my mouth opened like just freight ship doors opening (with hard hat wearing teeth and steam whistles and chains being turned by gears) then instantly once i realized i had a mouth i knew i was human again and could see through my own eyes.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
I have had several "that" moments already.

I was bullied from a pretty young age. That changed me. I went from that sightly shy boy, to the person I am now. Just afriad of people. Sure I may act confident when I'm in a safe environment, but outside of that, I'm just petrified.
I go to quiet corners of room away from people. I don't seek groups in classes. (Too afriad to ask, its silly, but its true). And I am dead quiet in public. (Which is quite a contrast because at home I am quite the chatterbox! XD)

The first girl that ever showed interest in me, did it very heavily. So much so I wasn't sure whether or not she was genuine. (I kept thinking it was all a joke, and it probably was, but that had a big affect on me I feel. Makes me weary and distrusting of people, and probably prevents me from asking women out.) That changed me. For a long time I wouldn't even approach most girls, (I got very close once, but someone saw me and joked about it, and I got embarassed and basically fled again)

When I first listened to the music my best friend liked through his headphones, that definately changed my taste in music. Went from liking cheesy Pop to metal/hard rock.

When I first played Pokemon. I think that changed my entire mindset on videogames.
I think that was the point of no return. I was a gamer for life then.

Probably several more, but those are some of the most prominent events.
I always wonder what I would have been like if things happened slightly differently. I bet I'd be a completely different person now...

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
You`re probably just shy because you don`t have anything to talk about or can`t relate to other people, everyone feels uncomfortable around everyone, i used to never talk and would think "why am i not talking" now i don't talk and think "jesus christ people are stupid"

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
2nd year at Uni, renting a house with 3 guys.

Man, looking after a house? That was the first 'serious-grown-up' commitment I had - and boy did I really appreciate my parents (and the moronic behaviour they had put up with from me over the years) from that point on.

Captcha: "butter side down"
You'd be surprised, captcha, I mean, 'spaghetti-hoops-in-the-sandwich-maker' surprised.

BENZOOKA said:
...mom having a stroke...
Aw hell, man. I can't even imagine...

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
Binnsyboy said:
Or when I was stabbed...
You've had quite a lot of interesting adventures, haven't you?

OT: I've not really experienced "that" yet...But I'm still only 15, so I'm sure it'll come..My life can't stay totally amazing forever..Or maybe it can... O_O