What's your longest single RTS game?

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I'm sure I've put in a hundred hours into games of Europa Universalis III. And I've never finished one all the way.

NoseDigger

Aug 25, 2009
Maybe 3 hours in one sitting. It ended with the server crashing when me and two buddies moved out units on the offensive. In total, we estimated a good 750 units moved at once. Not sure what the enemy had. Probably around the same.

10zack986

Dec 5, 2009
Rome: Total War. The problem with this game is that the more you play, the longer your turns take. Eventually you will be taking 30 minutes in one turn to address every single part of your campaign.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I'd say any of the Total War games. The campaigns are pretty damn long.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Lucas_90 said:
Iwata said:
I'd say any of the Total War games. The campaigns are pretty damn long.
Also not really under the category of RTS.
OT:...anyone heard of Empire Earth?....yeah, that :p
Alright then, the Close Combat games. The grand campaign, especially in the 3rd game, could last for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages.

zhemis

Mar 22, 2010
In one sitting I once played Age of Empires 2 for 8 hours before my opponent quit. That's probably my longest.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
DoW 1 but I can't exactly remember how long. It was a while ago too 'cause there hadn't been any expansions (let alone DoW 2) yet. It was a stalemate like the one irequirefood mentioned above.

TheIceman465

Jun 10, 2011
3 Hours on COH Blitzkrieg mod. It was a 2v2 on 4v4 map; me and some guy I'd never met before against 2 expert American AI. We spent the first 2 hours trying to get them off of our side of the map until we finally pushed them back across the river. He then quit, which was a shame because 20 minutes later I steam rolled through the Americans who were now in full retreat because of our counter-attack. After another 40 minutes I won.

Edit: Wow this post is old.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Not counting the massively long Rome: Total War campaigns, I'd say my longest was in BFME: II Rise of the Witch-King. Helm's Deep Morning Light siege, bloody punks finally spammed enough forts that they could kill all of our defending units with the fort specials (mordor and dwarves, if memory serves)

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
19 hours 37 minutes
Warcraft 3
3v3 Ladder Melee
Map: Highperch

It's a griefing method called highperching (See: http://www.battlereports.com/users/Stacker/highperch/highperch.html)

Essentially on this map you can choke the two paths across the map with towers. Because more units mean you lose gold, your enemies who have armies will actively lose gold as they mine, whereas the team that towered will be saving up massive amounts of gold. The towers will force the enemy to adopt a siege strategy. You hold the tower wall until as much gold as you can mine has been mined and then you immediately max out your armies with air units. There are two massive mountain plateaus that have no normal way up to them, to get up there you have to use tricks that blizzard never intended. Once you get up there you can bring all your workers up, and then just spam build towers. Your enemies are left trapped far below you with armies that have no possibility of even getting to your base. If they try to get air units to fight you, they will have to engage not only your much larger airforce, but also the towers. Meaning they have basically lost the game as long as you are careful. At this point the rage also comes out in a massive out-pour like a biblical flood of hatred. Then you go AFK and wait for them to leave before coming down and killing all their shit.

In the particular match I'm talking about; our opponents were particularly good at the game as well as stubborn. They had no airforce, but a sizeable ranged ground army with various stun units. We tried harassing them at several random intervals in the night with hours of going afk to make the attacks random. But at least one of them was always on with control shared. So we eventually went to sleep. I woke up the next morning and harassed them early. They noticed after about 10-15 minutes of it, but my farseer had earthquake so I had wrecked 2/3 of their bases and so they retreated all their units to their last base. I continued harassing but lost my farseer, which I resurrected for half of our teams remaining gold and then went afk again. My friend came home for lunch and in an hour for which the enemies were apparently afk, he sniped off any units he could pull until eventually we had enough that we could just overcome their force in a straight up battle. At which point we won the nineteen and a half hour match and probably caused three people to have mental breakdowns.

So, did I win this thread?

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Furburt said:
Yeah, Sins for RTS. That game just goes on and on.

However, if you count in grand strategy, I've spent ages on those games. The most I spent was on Hearts Of Iron II, two months on a single game.
Don't suppose anyone knows what this guy got banned for? Someone with over 39k posts must have done something very naughty.

Anyways, I've been playing Shogun 2 a lot, more so with the Fall of the Samrai expansion (which I totally recommend). Overall, around 200hours. Most of it in campaign. I only recently got into multiplayer.