What's your thoughts on... Selfies.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Unless you've been under a rock for the past... 2 years or so, you'd know that there's an internet craze called selfies, where people take pictures of themselves, either using the front facing camera of a phone or a mirror. They've become a cultural phenomenon, with celebrities using selfies, a song being written about them and social media being filled with them.

So.. What's your thoughts?

I personally don't mind them, they're a fad that'll be around for a while, and it's just another way of expressing yourself. My newsfeed on facebook does get clogged by them (normally girls on nights out or guys taking the piss), and at times it can come across as rather vain (a girl I know does a selfie a day, and gets very glammed up for them, puts a filter on, push up bras etc.) but in general they're just done for a bit of fun.

I've even done one or two myself, but never on my own, always part of a group (i.e. my volleyball homegirls and bois) <3

CAPTCHA: Laugh at me. You're so demanding captcha! And not amusing in any way shape or form

Example of a sfw selfie:

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I'm fine with them. Why wouldn't I be? A lot of people like to have fun, a lot of people like to take pictures of themselves. Either to share to their friends, or look back upon in the future. I don't partake in it myself, but I have no problem with those who do. Go at it, selfy away, dear fellow homo sapiens! So long as it isn't one of those dangerous "YOLO" selfies, eat your heart out. I can only imagine bitter, downer people having any legit issues with this.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I tend to find them boring and pointless, unless you are showing off a new outfit or something.

But, I can't see anything wrong with them if people want to do them.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Dunno, I don't care about the concept but i feel like people are overdoing it. It kind of comes of as narcissistic when you overdo it.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
It's all fun and games until some nekkid chick takes a selfie and it gets sent around the internet and her reputation is forever destroyed.

You clicked here. Don't pretend you didn't! ;)

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
If people want to take them then fine.They're not bothering anyone most of the time.Seems a bit pointless to me but I'm not a fan of having my photo taken in the first place

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Selfies are the most pointless, boring possible way to take pictures.

In fact, I find that a person's selfie to other picture ratio is a perfect way to determine exactly how uninspired and uncreative they are.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I don't care for them and don't even have a phone with a camera on it.

People who do can knock themselves out with them though. If they like it more power to them.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Ten Foot Bunny said:
K, I laughed.

OT: I usually roll my eyes unless it's for a practical reason like a passport photo or driver's license or something like that. It is just a photo, though, so it doesn't really bother me unless there's a lot of people doing it in a dim room and the flash is blinding.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Other than that my teenage girl cousin posts WAYYYYY too many of them on facebook, I don't really care. If I got mad at every new trend that I didn't understand, I'd wear myself thin pretty quick.

I have only taken one selfie, and it's my facebook profile pic because having it be various cartoon characters seemed a bit tacky even for me. On the one hand, I am smiling in it with teeth and everything, which is rare for me. On the other hand, I'm wearing a beard hat and sunglasses so all you can really see is my forehead, nose, and mouth. It's easily my favorite picture of me.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Kinda dumb but not dumb enough for me to want to convince people to stop doing it.
I just don't understand why one needs so many pictures of themselves... But that's my problem so meh.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
If people want to take selfies, they can take selfies. Why should I care whether they're taking pictures of themselves?

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
Just a picture of yourselves, or updating where you're at. Sometimes a profile picture. The only people that seem to hate them are the guys that never have any fun. I've taken plenty with friends, and it's nice not only to have a picture to remember that time, but it's also cool to share it on the interwebs. I don't love selfies, and I don't take them too often, but they're a'ight.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
When it's to show off something to your friends and family such as a new haircut or clothes, or if it's in reply to someone I can kind of allow it, but when the selfie is taken for the soul purpose of taking a selfie then it needs to stop.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I suppose it's a good way to take a picture of yourself without standing in front of a mirror which looks stupid, but the fad of taking 1 every 2 minutes and flooding your facebook/twatter/whatever with them is kinda stupid.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
I'm not even sure why it needs a specific name for itself. It's just another picture just like any other. In other words I don't mind them at all.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I never understood why selfies are considered a new thing. People have been taking pictures of themselves before facebook existed, right?

So basically, My thought on selfies are.. Who cares?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Don't care. Harmless fun. I prefer landscapes over people when it comes to any pictures I take.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I don't care.

I have no interest in following people in social media who would post pointless pics of them or their food every few minutes, so I manage to be totally unaffected by them.

The only times I see selfies is when someone I'm following on Tumblr puts up quick pics on a cosplay they're working on or something.

And if people like showing them off to each other, who cares?