What's Your View on Animal Rights?

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
6037084 said:
I really don't care, you could torture a cute kitten in front of me and I wouldn't give two damns because the kitten wouldn't give a shit about me if I was being tortured, so I see no reason to give a crap about it just because it is cute and fluffy. Also animals tasting good basically guarantees them never going extinct, the buffalo was nearing extinction at one point then humans started eating them now they are nowhere near being extinct.
majes6661 said:
killing an animal for any other reason, especially sport, is inhumane. We're the only creature on earth that kills other animals just because we can and for no other reason.
This is wrong lots of animals kill just for the joy of killing for example a weasel ( or some other animal like that I can't be bothered to google their proper english names ) got into a chicken coop in my grandfathers farm and it murdered every single chicken in there and only ate like half of one and left, and I bet if you did some research you'd find plenty of cases of animals killing for fun.
Dolphins not only kill for fun, but rape too!

All signs point towards intelligence making one more cruel. :D

Insubordination

Oct 28, 2011
My view on animal rights is that the vast majority of people remain willfully ignorant of where and how there meat got to them in the supermarket or whatever place they're eating at. So when someone tells me I should eat meat it's fairly frustrating since they're clueless. Meat used to be something that was hard to come by back then and now we throw it out wastefully each day while others starve. Is it starry eyed and naive? No we're all just so spoiled that we lose sight empathy or any other suppressed emotions so we can justify anything because we don't want to acknowledge the problem.

http://freedocumentaries.org/int.php?filmID=217
It's a 13 minute documentary but I doubt any of you would click on it.

As far as owning pets we have plenty in the house. Just cause animal rights supporters hold to the virtue of not eating meat doesn't make us all pompous and asinine.

CitrusLover

Oct 28, 2011
darksakul said:
CitrusLover said:
Animals also produce things that this world needs to survive (oxygen for example) if they had no rights the world would die.
No animal produce Oxygen, your confusing animals for plants.
Please read a biology text book or just look it up on Wikipedia for reference.
Algae produce the most amount of oxygen in the world, look it up in the book of general ignorance.

AreYouDumb

Aug 6, 2009
darksakul said:
AreYouDumb said:
darksakul said:
To me humans come first, animals like 4th or 12th in my priority lists.
Now why do you think that?
Why? Well I priorities many things before I prioritize animals like Money, automobiles, my own food, not being annoyed by "pest", my own entertainment and a number of other things.

How many of us swat a bug and killed it for just a minor annoyance?
How many of us pass up a injured deer on the road because we do not want to be late for work?
How many of us are mad when birds poop on your car?
The things we put horses though so we can race them a few times every year, or how we used them for TV just to see a cute puppy, kitty or even a young chimpanzee.

Hell we teach children it is okay to use (pretend) animals for gladiator matches in the sake of our own entertainment in games like pokemon.

Everything in and about human lives are prioritized over animals, and I find nothing wrong with it.
Now why do you find nothing wrong with society prioritizing itself over animals?

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
CitrusLover said:
darksakul said:
CitrusLover said:
Animals also produce things that this world needs to survive (oxygen for example) if they had no rights the world would die.
No animal produce Oxygen, your confusing animals for plants.
Please read a biology text book or just look it up on Wikipedia for reference.
Algae produce the most amount of oxygen in the world, look it up in the book of general ignorance.
Algae are not animals, they are single celled PLANT organisms.
For biological terminology microscopic organisms are not animals and are part of there own kingdom of classification. These include the animal cell microbes, which by the way do not produce oxygen.

3aqua

Aug 17, 2010
To me its a question of whether its necessary or not.
-Fur coats for rich people, in first world country. Unnecessary
-Fur coats for poor people in cold countries. Necessary.
-Animal testing for medical purposes. Necessary.
-Animal testing for cosmetics. Unnecessary.
-Pitting animals against themselves for the purpose of entertainment. Unnecessary.
You see where I'm going with this.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
AreYouDumb said:
Now why do you find nothing wrong with society prioritizing itself over animals?
Because of logic and common sense. My (as well as any human) survival, way of life and and comfort comes before any animal, period.

hotsauceman

Jun 23, 2011
MysticToast said:
hotsauceman said:
I think this
1:pets arent like property that you can abuse.
2: I SUpport testing for medicine but not cosmetice
3: Eat little meat, You dont have to scarf down meat all the time, Veggie burgers can be good too.
4:(Kinda religious here) God made all creatures and loves them, We have no right to think we are superior to them.
I'm also religious, but I'm here to burst your bubble. God actually said in the bible "Go, kill, and eat" to Peter (I think, one of those guys).
Yes, But now that we can survive without eating meat on a daily basis i think we should respect animals more.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
OmniscientOstrich said:
slaughtering animals simply for your own leisure just seems outright psychotic.
So a quick death by firearm is slaughter, but animals suffering for profit isn't? Okay.

Hunting is leisure. Nobody said you leave dead meat behind. Look at me. I have relatively soft, unsharpened nails and my jaw can't force teeth into wild animals. If that isn't a handicap for a predator, do you want me to use bow and arrow? Fine by me.

And I imagine that for you the fact that animals have predators in the wild is irrelevant?

OR even the fact that alien species are actually ENDANGERING biodiversity? Sometimes hunting is the only way if they have no suitable predators to control their population.

Emperor Nat

Jun 15, 2011
manic_depressive13 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
The difference here is that, despite what organisations like PETA say, the vast majority of farms do not mistreat their animals, and in the few cases where they do (suck as battery hens and veal) most of us are rightfully disgusted by it. For example, a pig or a cow living on a farm gets fed regularly and well, they always have a safe place to sleep, most of them get the chance to breed, and the farmers do their best to protect them from predators and diseases, so on average they actually get to live much longer lives than they would in the wild; and when their number eventually does come up, they are killed in a way that keeps their suffering to a minimum. That is a million miles away from 'mistreatment'.
What are you talking about. Live longer than they would in the wild? They wouldn't exist in the wild because they have been bred specifically for consumption. And I'd say getting slaughtered is about as mistreated as you can get. I hate that it's assumed that as long as they're not trapped in absurdly small spaces until adulthood (and many of them are) that suddenly it's excusable.

Look; I'm not going to say it's "immoral", and I'm not going to say that it's "unnacceptable" or "unethical". What I will say is that it, and the way it's justified, disgusts and terrifies me.

Nokshor said:
It's less that we think animal life has no value (at least in my case - hell, I loved my pet hampster dearly until it died) and more that animal life is secondary.
That's the thing. I don't see the difference between people and animals.

Do I think cows should be treated cruelly? No, not in the slightest.
Would I eat cow? Yes. It's dead, it no longer cares.
People don't care about much when they're dead either. Does that make it okay to kill them? It's not the eating of the dead thing that bothers me. It's just that to eat it you have to make it dead, and I don't like the idea of making things dead. It sickens me.

As for meat being part of the human diet? It actually -is- necissary. Protein is essential for growth and body repair and whilst we now have the -option- to change our diets it doesn't necissarily mean we should. We are omnivores, our bodies are biologically set up for the consumption of meat.
Oh god I'm so tired. I know what protein is. Yes, the fact that we are able to is reason to change our diets, because eating meat is shit stupid and unsustainable. "I like the taste" is literally the only justification in the western world. Admittedly in some places they may have difficulty getting all the protein they need from other sources, but for fuck's sake, don't pretend it's necessary. You're killing them because you want to. Spare me your crap and at least accept responsibility.
Eh, fair enough. I still disagree that humans and animals are equal, but I can see your point that in the West we have enough variety in food choice that we could eat far less meat than we do now without many ill effects. I'm not sure I'd call it unsustainable though, since we -have- been farming animals for a long time without too much issue. Then again I'm 17 and don't keep that up to date with the prices/quantities of food products, so I may be wrong.

As for the 'humans don't care what happens to them when they're dead' - I'd have to again bring it back to the point that I hold human life as more valuable than animal life, and therefore requiring more respect for the dead.

And I'm fully willing to accept my share of responsibility - I eat meat, I condone the farming of meat, and therefore there are animals being killed so I can have my ham sandwiches.

(I also apologise for the exceedingly long quote box thing, I'm new to the forum and don't know how to edit these properly yet.)

Denmarkian

Feb 1, 2008
My position is that I will be happy to grant animals the same rights as humans when they stand up and ask for them.

Until then, humans just need to learn they do not have the right to abuse animals.

Emperor Nat

Jun 15, 2011
hotsauceman said:
MysticToast said:
hotsauceman said:
I think this
1:pets arent like property that you can abuse.
2: I SUpport testing for medicine but not cosmetice
3: Eat little meat, You dont have to scarf down meat all the time, Veggie burgers can be good too.
4:(Kinda religious here) God made all creatures and loves them, We have no right to think we are superior to them.
I'm also religious, but I'm here to burst your bubble. God actually said in the bible "Go, kill, and eat" to Peter (I think, one of those guys).
Yes, But now that we can survive without eating meat on a daily basis i think we should respect animals more.
Depends on your religion. If you're Jewish or Muslim, meat is condoned within your scripture depending on the animal. If you're Christian, meat in all forms is condoned within the New Testament.

AreYouDumb

Aug 6, 2009
darksakul said:
AreYouDumb said:
Because of logic and common sense. My (as well as any human) survival, way of life and and comfort comes before any animal, period.
Now I am sure you are sick of me probing you with questions buuuuuuuuuuut! Why do you feel your's and any human's comfort and way of life takes precedence over an animals life?

Now I am not trying to say that you are wrong, I am trying to see why you feel this way.

Also we do not need animals to survive food wise, however I do accept there a lot of useful animal products that are very important in several industries. But (and I know I sound like a luddite now) we do not need those industries to survive directly.

AlexNora

Mar 7, 2011
Raven said:
Nokshor said:
Human life > Animal life, in all circumstances in my opinion, regardless of maturity or born. I would eat a chimp if it came to it, but I would never eat a human (or abort a foetus). Yes I'm pro-life, no this is not the time or place to discuss it.
So long as you are acutely aware of why this is your opinion I'm not going to be able to pursuade you.

human life is greater then animal life = fact. animals have no potential they will always be the same they can not fix problems let alone understand most. without us (humans) animals have no hope for a future this earth will not last forever and only humans could solve such a big problem.

should people do things like make dogs fight, I don't really care but it sound boring compered to watching people fight that's for sure (and i don't really like fighting)

Gibboniser

Jan 9, 2011
I'm all for animal welfare, but I'm more extreme than average, I admit. In a lot of cases I would prefer humans would die to animals, like in war and such. I feel bad for the horses in cowboy films, not the cowboys. I refrain from even killing annoying flies and such, I don't really see why our entitlement to life is greater than theirs, when you ill an animal, even an insect, you have ended their entire existence, all they will ever know.
That said I am not a vegetarian, we have been living off meat for our entire existence, its natural, but I will only eat meat where the animals for the most part have lived comfortable lives, I can't stand the thought of having to eat something whose entire life was misery, and then death to feed me.

I imagine some of you are going to consider me an utter idiot, your entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Same as most here.
I eat meat, I think for medicine testing on animals is fine as long as it's not abusive for the animal in any stupid way. This means that you have them live in cages smaller than the actual animal and treat them like shit on the side of the testing. But animal fighting and hitting your pet, that's completely wrong!
But we humans also need to survive, and not eating for example, cow, is the same as saying Lions shouldn't eat Zebras...

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg

Jun 21, 2010
I am an animal rights supporter but I do not support the jackasses that commit acts of foalish terrorism.

We are all animals so other species deserve respect. If you hunt, respect the kill and honor the animal by using as much as you can, hunting for trophy only is a disrespect to our collective heritage. Farming should be without abuse, it creates a happier environment and better quality meat. Medical research is to protect us as a species. If you have a pet have the decency to take care of it.

I am a proud hunter and a supporter of animal rights and animal education. The most vocal of the animal rights organizations dont actually care about animals or education (such as PETA who would rather kill unwanted pets than fund animal shelters), some organizations are really terrorist groups under the guise of animal rights (groups such as the Sea Shepherds) and those people are despicable. But there are groups that do immense good such as the Humane Society, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Ducks Unlimited, and many more that get very little attention and funding compared to PETA and that is just a terrible trend.

To quote Ted Nugent
"We have this wonderfully productive planet. Eat! Eat, drink, build! Have a good time, but put more back? Shut the fuck up, Sting! You want to save the rainforest you should nut up and go plant some fucking trees!?

And of the great Bob Barker
"Do your part to control the pet population, spay or neuter your pets."

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
The creatures that are there for you whenever you need them and who keep you company and love you no matter what... should probably be respected and treated well.

That's my view.