Whelp, there goes 40 or so hours in Awakening...

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009

...because I just lost the only chance to get Severia because I refused to let her commit suicide by rushing the enemy to talk to some random pointless dude, so she is gone forever. Despite maybe being two chapters from the end of the game, losing someone like that is just not acceptable for me, especially in a character-driven game. Missing someone like that in a game like that especially when they're my Avatar's daughter?

Sigh. This is gonna be a long 'nother 40 hours. Why did this have to be the only mission in the game with a freaking special recruitment requirement?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Aerosteam said:
You... didn't have a save file?
You get one save file per Avatar (IE: Its like Pokemon). And since it forces you to save afterwards (and Severia gives no hint she is unique with her mission requirement) you don't have any idea you've fucked up until AFTER you've saved.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
That was one thing that really bugged me about Fire Emblem was how freaking stupid some of those recruiting things got (Oh Hey Anna, nice of you to spawn on the other side of the map with a shit ton of bad guys between me and you where I just have to fly as quickly as possible to you and hope no one gets killed in the process...) and how stupid easy it would be for a main character to go down.

I get that it's (allegedly) part of the appeal of the games but losing a big story character because an ambush you couldn't do dick about or having that 1% critical hit actually hit and insta-kill someone important sucks big time. I eventually just said "Fuck it" and if a main character went down, then so be it. I thought Awakening was easily the weakest of the series anyway...

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
Aerosteam said:
You get one save file per Avatar (IE: Its like Pokemon). And since it forces you to save afterwards (and Severia gives no hint she is unique with her mission requirement) you don't have any idea you've fucked up until AFTER you've saved.
Er... I'm pretty sure you can have up to 3 save files total for your avatars, and that's not even including quicksaves.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Aerosteam said:
Paragon Fury said:
Aerosteam said:
Er... I'm pretty sure you can have up to 3 save files total for your avatars, and that's not even including quicksaves.
Never use Quick Save on Classic. The game does not re-seed the RNG, so if you save before a bad attack that attack will always be bad and you cannot avoid it.

Basically on Classic every single fight must be done in a single go, with no saves, or you risk every single fight having your army completey devastated by a single bad round of RNG.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
Aerosteam said:
Paragon Fury said:
Aerosteam said:
Never use Quick Save on Classic. The game does not re-seed the RNG, so if you save before a bad attack that attack will always be bad and you cannot avoid it.

Basically on Classic every single fight must be done in a single go, with no saves, or you risk every single fight having your army completey devastated by a single bad round of RNG.
I know how the game works, I've played hundreds of hours of it!

Anyway, I don't normally play on classic, but even if you don't use quicksaves, you could still reload an actual save file of the avatar you made before you started the map by resetting your game.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
That sucks. But hey, that's X-Co- Awakening!

Gonna need a bit more to talk about, though. Perhaps we could share stories about frustrations with Iron-Man mode and all the people we lost to Hardcore settings that don't let you save the game?

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Ended up like that in State of Decay, lost one of my favourite characters after bloody days of leveling and scouring the map. Didn't interrupt the save quick enough, had to try and level someone else to similar heights but got ganked almost instantly, ended up bored and annoyed.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Aerosteam said:
Paragon Fury said:
Aerosteam said:
Paragon Fury said:
Aerosteam said:

Anyway, I don't normally play on classic, but even if you don't use quicksaves, you could still reload an actual save file of the avatar you made before you started the map by resetting your game.
you can't do that on Classic; when you select Classic it restricts you to one file to stop save scumming. So if you don't notice something has gone wrong before it does one of its post-map saves you're screwed.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
Aerosteam said:
Paragon Fury said:
Aerosteam said:
Paragon Fury said:
Aerosteam said:

you can't do that on Classic; when you select Classic it restricts you to one file to stop save scumming. So if you don't notice something has gone wrong before it does one of its post-map saves you're screwed.
Then don't play it on classic mode? If you're that upset about a choice that you now can't take back, maybe you should play the game in a mode that actually let's you take back choices that are going to upset you that much?

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
And here I was wondering how anyone could put 40 hours into Dragon Age Awakening..............................

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Severa is about as likable as a killerbee so you didn't lose much. She doesn't particularly blow the other kids out of the water gameplay wise either.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Hades said:
Severa is about as likable as a killerbee so you didn't lose much. She doesn't particularly blow the other kids out of the water gameplay wise either.
I second that. I save scummed a whole bunch to find the right formation to get her through that corridor. Not especially worth it. Although, given the way my brain works, not saving her would break my mind. I can't play Awakening on classic. I'm just too much of a sentimental old sod to let anyone die.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I did the same thing actually. Without the overreaction though.

Learning from my mistake on my first runthrough (one as guy, one as girl) I did actually get her... and never used her once. She kinda sucks, has no redeemable personality traits, and I almost regretted getting her and having her clot up my char. inventory.

She's a tsundere minus the dere. She's about as sweet as baker's chocolate. Trust me, she is not worth restarting. Maybe if it was like, Nah. Nah is cool.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
I put ten hours into the game and then read up on some people's pairings for characters. Thought "oh that pairing comes up a lot, I might go with that when I get that character if its so good". Put another thirty or forty hours in.

Then realised I'D ALREADY MISSED THE CHARACTER IN QUESTION.

So I've had to start again. I barely got five to ten hours in though by now. -_-

Also I'm super paranoid now about missing anyone even though first time around that was the only one I missed I'm double checking guides obsessively.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
Aerosteam said:
Paragon Fury said:
Aerosteam said:
Paragon Fury said:
Aerosteam said:

you can't do that on Classic; when you select Classic it restricts you to one file to stop save scumming.
And the thing you want to do is save scumming. You chose classic but still want to save scum? There isn't anything for you to complain here... You should have chosen the mode that let's you save scum.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
This is why I have two saves per character in Awakening, one before the battle and one after it. Until I finish that character at least.

Anyway, Severa is easy to recruit. Send flyers ahead of her and if she is getting too far ahead use a rescue staff.

Barbie Boy

Jul 11, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
Aerosteam said:
Paragon Fury said:
Aerosteam said:
Paragon Fury said:
Aerosteam said:

Sad to say, this simply ain't true. You can use all 3 save files, re/load however you want and the game never forces you to save, even on classic.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Having acquired Severa and enduring all of her support dialog...I actually think that's a blessing in disguise.
Then again, I cannot stand "Tsundere" characters.