When a Woman Loves a Woman, It?s Really Not About Your Penis

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
"A few months ago I dated this bisexual girl..."

"We can't decide at all what to watch when it comes to TV, so she just chooses what she wants to watch and I have to suffer through it."

"I just started college this year, and in the first few days I met this really cool girl"

One guy got upset over a girl that doesn't even like guys, another got upset over TV SHOWS!, yet another got obsessed over ONE girl..IN COLLEGE! COLLEGE! where we have more girls than all you can eat dinner.

"perspective people, perspective" -movie bob

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
For example, if she likes space-dramas featuring strong women in leadership roles, then what about Battlestar Galactica or Farscape? And if you like snarky, ensemble humor with a dash of absurdity, try Better Off Ted or Chuck.

Did Netflix write this article?

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
Lara Crigger said:
Love FAQ: When a Woman Loves a Woman, It?s Really Not About Your Penis

A man can only take so much Voyager.

Read Full Article

OT This is not as much about the posts from others as your tagline at the end of the article. As a middle school counselor I though I'd mention that it is not the 1980s anymore and we don't say "guidance counselor." Officially we are professional school counselors or just school counselor. Just thought I'd let you know that the term is outdated and in many ways insulting to the work that we now do.

Otherwise your advice column is rather entertaining, so keep up the good work (disclaimer appreciated).

MLChanges

Feb 26, 2011
Wow. Really? If only I had these problems. we got one guy that was used by a girl. So what? Big deal. Men have been using women forever, move on, or better yet convince her to make it mutual and voluntary and use each other when either of you feel the need.

The other guy, Geez. Just ask her out for coffee or something don't be writing letters to some advice column. I bet by the time you got a response someone else hooked up with her.

And the guy with the GF that likes Voyager. Dude, if it's that big a deal give me her number and I'll go watch Voyager with her while your alone watching Firefly.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Lara Crigger said:
Interesting cross-section of letters this time around, but I'd like to point out a strong similarity between them all: being honest with yourself.

Dumped: Be honest with yourself -- can you truly be "friends" with her after all of that? Or are you really just acting out of habit... or perhaps a sense that you just need a little more time to prove her wrong... or just sort of waiting for a chance to try again... or, and really think on this one, are you sticking around secretly hoping for a spur-of-the-moment, accidental threesome?

Your "secret self" (or subconscious, if you prefer) is putting an abnormal amount of weight on this situation, which means it clearly has some value outside the obvious. Find out what that is. Step outside yourself, and look at yourself the way you would if you were scrutinizing another guy pulling the same stuff with your "love interest." You'll be surprised at what you find in there.

Sky: Be honest with yourself -- this whole thing is a big deal to you. Not necessarily the TV thing. That's what the problem is around, but that's not what it's about. To you, it represents another problem: unilateral decision making.

When someone is relaxing and enjoying leisure time, they're most often actually naturally. They are themselves. You're a bit worried because, when she's not trying to be polite or "girlfriendy," she excludes your vote from the decision making process.

Now, is that what's happening? Can't be sure. You feel it might, so this is clearly a bigger deal to you than you want it to be. But I mean, how serious are you two? It might be that, at your "relationship level," she doesn't want to spend time on disagreements. So, when you can't seem to decide, she just goes and does her thing rather than dwelling on it. Might not be the healthiest way to handle it, but it's not exactly crazy.

Above all, if you decide to approach her about this, be sure you know exactly what you're approaching her about. The TV thing. Confine the discussion only to that. Don't discuss concepts or metaphors within the relationship. Don't start turning this into the grand arena. Instead, keep the discussion on-topic, and let that show you how she is (and how you are) at handling this kind of thing. Learn first, talk later. But be honest with yourself about how big a deal it is, and what the real deal is.

Doubting: Be honest with yourself -- you're leading with your feelings, and it's causing you to develop bizarre motives. You think that you're trying to find the best way to show this girl you're interested in a relationship... but really, you're using what TV, movies, and the internet have taught you about "friend zone," etc., to trick her into liking you.

It sounds harsh, I know. But when you think you're just trying to "put your best foot forward," you're really playing a game of "trying to figure out what she thinks the 'best foot' is, and put that forward whether it's natural or not." It doesn't make you evil. It makes you any old guy, and we all do it. We're competitive problem solvers by nature, and it's easy (at times) to forget that the "problem" we're trying to solve, or the "prize" we're trying to win is a completely separate person.

Do what you want to do. If it doesn't work, you're not compatible with her. Don't waste your time trying to become compatible, or trying to make her compatible. College is a unique experience in your life. I'm not talking about that old "best years" bullshit, though. I mean that at no other point in your life are you going to be surrounded by this many people in your age group, from so many different cultures and backgrounds and personalities, and yet with so much potentially in common. Statistically, your chances will never be better to find someone compatible with you. You farm the hell out of that opportunity.

Don't play "the game." Be you, and do so until (possibly) you find someone else being themselves who happens to mesh with that. Then give it a shot. If it doesn't work, no biggie. Try it again the next time. At all times, you focus on being you (and honestly learning what that means).

Right now, you're not doing "honesty." You're playing a game. Don't do yourself (or her) that disservice.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I find it next to impossible to believe that any of these questions are asked frequently.

That being said I've been in a very similar situation to Dumped
It went a little something like this.

her: I think I might be Bi.
me: You think?
her: I've been with guys in three ways but never alone.
me: o_0
her: Will you...
me: Yes.
=Later that day=
her: That was awful... Thanks anyway.
me: glad I could help....

And we're still friends to this very day.

I think the main difference is that she was honest up front about that being a "test run" for want of a better term. I get feeling angry about being lied to, but "I'm not in to your gender" is a pretty valid reason to dump someone in my book. you shouldn't feel bad.