When criticism kept you from buying a game you REALLY wanted

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Amir Kondori said:
I cannot remember ever not buying a game I was really interested in b/c of a bad review.
Universally bad ratings won't keep me from buying a game either. They will only influence how much longer I'll wait for it to drop in price. Ultimately, I'll pay maybe ten bucks for a crap game.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Milanezi said:
Never happened to me... Not saying that many times I SHOULD have listened to the critics. What does happen though, is the other way around:I often bought games the critics found amazing and I was either really bummed by it, or just found it didn't live to the hype at all.
Same here, I'm looking at my game library rigth now and thinking "oh gawds I SHOULD have listened to the critics about this game" too many times to count.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
I wanted to buy the "Game of Thrones" videogame but everyone kept telling (even the store clerk) that it was übber shite :(

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
"It's more like a book than a game."

-Every visual novel ever.

On the other hand, Final Fantasy 9. I'd heard it was bad, but compared to 7, 8, and everything else after 6, it was great. And I finished playing it last week (Thanks, PSN).

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Was Yahtzee's shitcanning of Demon's Souls that kept me from buying it for a long time, but then my housemate was playing it and i was blown away. Never has yahtzee been further off in a review in my opinion. Well, pretty damn close with Dark Souls but hey.

Since then i watch Yahtzee for entertainment not for any worthwhile review of games.

Supdupadog

Feb 23, 2010
Resident Evil 6.

I was pretty darn excited and ready to pick it up (especially after Revelations being pretty damn good) but then the reviews started pouring in. Some pretty nasty problems apparently came up, even compared to number 5. In fact it sounded like all the worst parts of 5 where taken and made into 6 (kinda how it seems like the worse stuff of 4 where focused on in 5)

When a game you where looking forward too get's a D- by one of your favorite critics, it tends to lose a spot on your priority list.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
The Witcher. The review Yahtzee gave it made it so that I would never want to try it, because he and I seem to have very similar levels of tolerance for complexity.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Not really, if I REALLY wanted a game, i would have probably pre-ordered it, so far it has not let me down. If theres a game that looks interesting but I havent heard that much about, I will then look for reviews to determine if it is worth the purchase, but will probably end up getting it on sale if it doesn't come with glowing recommendations.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Supdupadog said:
Resident Evil 6.

I was pretty darn excited and ready to pick it up (especially after Revelations being pretty damn good) but then the reviews started pouring in. Some pretty nasty problems apparently came up, even compared to number 5. In fact it sounded like all the worst parts of 5 where taken and made into 6 (kinda how it seems like the worse stuff of 4 where focused on in 5)
I was looking forward to that as well. Maybe it was just the nostalgia of seeing Leon return, but I was hoping to see more RE4 and less RE5, but alas.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I really wanted to rush out and purchase Final Fantasy XIII when it first hit, but Jim's review on Destructoid (<3 you Jim!) convinced me otherwise. I was eventually able to borrow it from a friend, and was very glad I gave it a pass.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I buy whatever game i want, its the overly popular games you should worry about. Like the cod, Blops etc games - they are great at what they do. Just you walk away empty. The last game that annoyed me was Batman AO, the gameplay was awesome, just the story was mediocre. Reviews are fine, but have to stick to what you like and want to play. Otherwise all you will be playing is rubbish but awesome play games.....not crappy gameplay but way more full filling story games. If that makes sense. Look at Deadly Premonition for evidence. :)

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Knights Contract. Basically the gameplay looked pretty fun in videos and stuff but apparently the QTEs are brutal and I'm pretty bad at normal QTEs, and the game is just shit over all, oh well.

Andrew Lamp

May 9, 2012
WWmelb said:
Was Yahtzee's shitcanning of Demon's Souls that kept me from buying it for a long time, but then my housemate was playing it and i was blown away. Never has yahtzee been further off in a review in my opinion. Well, pretty damn close with Dark Souls but hey.

Since then i watch Yahtzee for entertainment not for any worthwhile review of games.
Yep this is why his reviews are a non-factor for me. That, and all the shit games that he likes or thinks he is going to like before he reviews them.

deathjavu

Nov 18, 2009
After the disappointment of Age of Empires III, I started looking to reviews to save me from that kind of letdown. Same with C&C Generals

I mean, AOE 1 and C&C Red Alert were two of the first games I ever played extensively. And AOE 2/RA2 are basically enshrined inside my memory. How could the sequels to those leave me so utterly bored? And yet they did.

The real trick to reviews is looking at more than the numbers- you have to read the whole thing and try to extrapolate for yourself whether or not you'll enjoy it. I'm so spendthrift I intentionally look for bad reviews and see if they will dissuade me from getting a game. And I almost NEVER buy a game right when it comes out. I just can't afford it.

This generally means that every game I buy is either a) rad as shit or b) under $10. If it weren't for steam, I pretty much would be restricted to christmas gifts...and replaying old christmas gifts.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
hickwarrior said:
moggett88 said:
For me, Yahtzees review of Monster Hunter 3 destroyed all my enthusiasm for the game. I ended up not getting it until I saw it selling for £5 at CEX, and thought why not?

Turns out I loved it, and wish I had got it earlier so I could have played for longer before they shut down the servers. Maybe if I find a bunch of money in the street I'll buy a Wii U and get Ultimate...
You really shouldn't listen to yahtzee's 'reviews', they're mainly done for comedy's sake, really. That's how I interpret his views.

OT: as for me not buying a game due to reviews... I can't honestly remember the last time I did that. At all. I think I wasn't paying attention to most of it for most of my life anyway.
See I see Yahtzee's reviews more as critiques of a game. I go in expecting him to go over the bad stuff then I go to find another source to see the positives and make my decision based on that.

OT:I don't really know what I would say to that. I mean I wanted Sniper 2: Ghost Warrior or whatever it was called because it seemed like they really listened to complaints about the first game. Then it turned out to be terrible. Far Cry 3 was all that game, except good. And more. And fun.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
delta4062 said:
putowtin said:
GTA V, I had money saved up, was already to pick it up from work on my way home, then I read a couple of reviews, heard about the torture.....

Nope, nope, nope, nope! I'll save my money thanks!
A 15 minute mission in a 20 hour (atleast) long game stopped you from buying it? Really?
yes, I feel that strongly about it!

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
I think the closest I have come to this is with Duke Nukem Forever, but really the reviews weren?t what stopped me from buying it when it came out I just couldn?t afford it at the time. And again it wasn?t the reviews which led to me black listing this game and swearing I would never, EVER, play it or give anyone a dollar for it.

No, the credit all goes towards that disgusting smutty horrid god awful ?I guess you?re fucked heheheh? scene. Seriously what the bloody hell were they thinking? We?re supposed to like that guy right?